Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 523 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 594 reviews
on August 5, 2013
I was expecting some interesting facts and a great storyline... But what I got was information about the movie. Waste of money... Quite disappointed!
0Comment| 176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2013
A complete waste of money. Nothing more than a promo news release for the movie. This is the worst excuse for a book I've ever read. Read the movie reviews, you'll get more out if it for nothing.
0Comment| 161 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 3, 2013
Very disappointing waste of money. I hoped to read the book before seeing the movie. The book was essentially how the movie was made and not the story itself.
0Comment| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 4, 2013
Like another reviewer I was hoping to read the book before the movie...this is a lame very short few pages about the butler..rest about all the stupid celebrities in movie...waste of $$.
on August 9, 2013
It's not a story book in the traditional sense. But it does offer important information on Eugene Allen the White House butler the movie is based on. It also offers important information on the movie.
These negative reviews reflect that the reviewer expected one thing and got another. That is not reason enough to not read the book.
As I write this it's still a week before the movie is released. Get the book. Read the book. Look at the pictures. (Did I mention it's got lots of glossy pictures.) Then go see the movie. I have a feeling the movie is going to be critically acclaimed and well received by the viewing public. The fantastic cast is also detailed in the book.
on August 27, 2013
I fully expected a qualified historical work on the butler's experiences while serving several administrations and presidential families. Instead I got a lesson on civil rights and the Hollywood role in segregation.
I was very disappointed in this book.
on August 9, 2015
Whilst the original article on this man's history did inspire an uplifting film, and this book does provide a good insight into the financing and making of a movie, the story of the historic events as presented in this book is little more than a brief scan across one remarkable man's story and quick glimpses at some of the key moments in his life. This reader would like to have a view of the sweep of history that was a little richer than that presented here, and (had it been possible) a sampling of the central character's personal views on significant events and people. Sadly, a man who made history by quietly living his life and applying his talents, is remembered by a book that feels like no more than a teaser.
on June 15, 2014
I can see three, no...four great ideas for non-fiction books in this one book. One could be about the reporter Wil Haygood's conception of his idea for the article that started all this and his quest to find Eugene Allen. The second could be Eugene Allen's story itself. The third could be about the history of African Americans in cinema (I'm sure books like this already exist, but let Mr. Haygood have a go at it...he's got some promising stuff in this book here.) And finally, the fourth book could b about the making of "The Butler" and all the film-making challenges that came with it. All of these are fascinating stories that I'd like to know more about. That being said, this is still a great book. But it's just too short. I have a hunch that this audio book is abridged, but regardless, I feel that Mr. Haygood has so much more material which could be put to good use...I mean, how much could they have cut out for this abridgement? One final thing I must comment on is this book's forward, written by Lee Daniels, the director of the film adaptation of Eugene Allen's life. Normally I do not like forwards. This is an exception. Mr. Daniels explains to the reading audience why he made the changes he did that caused Lee Daniels' The Butler to deviate so much from Eugene Allen's life. Knowing what his mindset was and the story he wanted to tell, I can respect his directing decisions in that film much more and I make an exception and appreciate this forward. But as for the book itself, it's an amazing story told by a great writer. Mr. Eugene Allen is an unsung figure in American history and I thank Mr. Wil Haygood for sharing his story with the world. This is a must-read. It's just too short. But nevertheless, enjoy.
on January 11, 2014
Have not yet read the Lee Smith. The Butler is a scandalously brief book, very superficial, and with more emphasis on the writer than on Eugene Allen, the real butler. I had hoped for something of the substance of Ike Hoover's Forty-Two Years in the White House; the jobs were comparable, and Hoover could write well. Allen is not given a chance to say much, if anything. Very disappointing; the pictures are pretty good. I have scanned the Smith: She is a brilliant, sensitive writer of the South, focusing here on the Asheville, NC, hospital where Zelda Fitzgerald (and many others) received the primitive mental health care of the thirties/forties and burned in a hospital fire. I expect it will be a seminal Smith book, and her acknowledgments are particularly honest and brave. (So my stars there will no doubt be much greater than those I generously eked out for The Butler. See the movie, folks! The reviews of five presidents at the end are, I do admit, quite accurate and to the point.
on April 25, 2016
Don't waste your money. I rarely give a negative book review- I think this is my 2nd or 3rd. This is a promo book for the movie. Photos of the white house butler, but not much more...nothing informative, gossipy, newsy, interesting. I read it and donated it to charity.