Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 30 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 49 reviews
on March 31, 2003
The reviews state that THE BUTTERFLY has a target audience of ages 6-9 but I disagree! Polacco's lovely stories have appeal for all generations. Today is my daughter's birthday; she is a new 2nd grade teacher. My favorite gifts to her are six Patricia Polacco books. THE BUTTERFLY was written in honor of Polacco's great aunt, Marcelle Solliliage and her Aunt, Monique Gaw. Marcelle was part of the French underground and resistance during World War II. She bravely hid Jews in her home during the Nazi occupation. Monique was oblivious to these happenings until she met a young Jewish girl, Sevrine who happened to be hiding in the basement. A friendship developed that has endured many decades, right up to today! Polacco's exquisite story teaches the reader about true bravery, honor, and self-sacrifice (not to mention the history of a time not so long ago). How many of us would do today, as these valiant heroes have done many times in the past?
on April 17, 2017
I am collecting this author's books. They are just that good-this one included.
on December 21, 2008
Patricia Polacco is, by far, one of the very best author-illustrators I have read. The Butterfly is the perfect balance in portraying the horrors of hatred, yet not becoming overwhelming to our young readers.

I use quality literature with my students to teach the basics of language and social issues. Whenever I read this book with my students, they are riveted from the very beginning. The discussions resulting from the story are always insightful, inspiring deep questions from the children and considerable thought.

The illustrations, as always with Patricia Polacco, elevate the emotional impact of the events of the story.

The fact that this story is of Patricia Polacco's aunt and great-aunt and a true story is meaningful to my students.
on March 2, 2009
My 3rd graders had asked a lot about Hitler, Nazis, and the Holocaust after one student had brought up the subject. I tried to make it understandable to that age group. But when I was searching some of Patricia Polacco's books for another unit, I came across The Butterfly. I decided this was the perfect way for my students to access the subject, by seeing it through the eyes of these 2 girls. My class was so quiet and focused as I read it. We talked about it a lot when I finished. As usual, Mrs. Polacco handles a tough subject with sensitivity and art that conveys the deeper meaning, yet in a way elementary students can handle. I am an even bigger fan of her after reading this book.
on January 9, 2015
The book is very touching and well written for elementary students. A little girl wakes during the night to see the shape of another girl in her room. She rubs her eyes, looks again, and the girl is gone. This a story of hiding and flight for Jews during WWII. As with most of Patricia Polacco's books, it is based on a factual incident that is document at the end of the book. I have added this book to my classroom library as I try and teach the Holocaust to students.
on April 28, 2017
Perfect for follow up or introduction to the Holocaust in classrooms.
on April 26, 2017
Wonderful story of a very difficult time in our history, shares hope and friendship that lasts a lifetime!
on December 24, 2016
Beautiful art work accompanies this story of a family who hides a child from the Germans during WWII. The author appears in this book as she does in all of her books. Tearful story. Great read- aloud.
on September 6, 2017
Love Polacco!
on July 20, 2014
A family in the south of France hides and rescues a Jewish family during the dark days of World War II. This story of little known acts of courage is a gem for starting conversations with young people about the effects of bullying and bigotry. Based on the true story of the author's aunt and a little girl who survived the crossing to freedom into a life in Israel.