Workplace Solutions Editors' Holiday Gift Picks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 12DoD - Beauty Stocking Stuffers Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Platinum artists Shop Now Baby Gift Guide

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 153 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on December 27, 2010
This is the first time I have felt so strongly about a product that I have left a review. Each recipe I have tried from this book has been so tasty that my family has eaten them as fast as I can bake them! It's wonderful to be able to bake something that I can enjoy WITH my family! Thank you!
on December 18, 2012
First off, the mix business. Yes she uses mixes. Yes she adds enough stuff that you may wonder why not to just bake from scratch. Here is why not. These cakes are idiot proof. Not all gluten free recipes for cakes, cookies etc are so forgiving! AND you don`t need a shelf full of exotic flour to fix something fast on the spur of the moment. Which means if you are simply baking for a friend or family member, there is little need to invest in bags of rice, tapioca, mochi flour and industrial quantities of cornstarch to name the cheaper flours. Add in potato flour (expensive!) and exotic stuff like bean flours, sorghum, millet etc and we are talking expensive, plus this all takes up shelf space!

Perhaps you are a celiac looking for a shortcut to a nice reliable dessert, and need something good tasting and fast for a company dessert (maybe you offered to bring something or you are having people over) and you don`t want to go to a lot of effort, cost or have something people politely pick at, then for heaven`s sake get this book, and flip thru it and pick something at random. It will turn out. Here are the 3 I tried and the non celiacs in the family keep begging for them.

Fresh Orange Bundt Cake page 113: This is why I bought the book! My sister in law made this for a family dinner last year and I had to have the recipe. I knew it was gluten free as my brother in law is celiac, but it tasted so GOOD! I made it 2 more times at home to rave reviews from family. I use the Celimix White cake mix because that is what is available here, and it turns out GREAT every single time. Just be sure to have a couple of nice oranges on hand plus the cake mix, and some butter (or margerine), eggs, sugar, and vanilla.

Bacardi Rum Cake page 146. I made it the first time without the pudding mix, using walnuts not the pecans, the white celimix not the yellow, and yogurt not sour cream because that is what I had on hand and it WORKED!!!! The second time I made it per the recipe (white celimix though) and it was a touch nicer yet, but honestly both cakes were to die for delicious. I am making it for our family New Years Eve celebration by popular demand!

For my son`s birthday I fixed up the Chocolate Chip Amaretto Cake on Page 143 using rum instead of Amaretto since that is what I had on hand. I used Celimix chocolate cake mix, and the chocolate pudding and it is seriously the best chocolate cake any of us ever had and my bog standard has been a prize winning Taste of Home chocolate cake in my previous gluten containing life. This beat my old standard recipe!!!!

These recipes are FLEXIBLE. If you don`t have sour cream, use yogurt. So white cake mix in a very plain box is all you have, it works!!!! No amaretto, but some old rum in the cupboard left over from your trip to Cuba 10 years ago, slosh that in! If you like cooking and baking by the seat of your pants according to whatever wind blows thru your pantry this is your cookbook.

MORE SERIOUSLY if you struggle with dairy allergies (casein allergy is COMMON in celiacs) this darling author includes a dairy free option in almost all recipes. She warns you in the few that can`t be done dairy free. And for those who can`t do anything with bean flour or soy flour, this book is blessedly free of them. It does rely on eggs for structure as most cakes do so be aware if eggs are an allergen for you, but for those avoiding eggs due to cholesterol, she says egg beaters which is an egg white only product will substitute.

She just came out with a new gluten free recipe book Unbelievably Gluten-Free: 128 Delicious Recipes: Dinner Dishes You Never Thought You'd Be Able to Eat Again which I just got, and can hardly wait to start playing with.

Once you embark on a gluten free life, there are very few cooking and baking shortcuts left. Embrace the ones that show up. This cookbook is one.

oh and one last comment, CeliMix cake mixes don`t have any weird ingredients, no trans fats, no artificial flavour or colour and no chemical sounding names; just rice flour, sugar, g free baking powder and cellulose gum with a touch of salt and in the choco cake, g free cocoa. Not bad. No modified starch of any kind, no high fructose corn syrup solids or flavour enhancements. Just good plain ingredients. I don`t get sugar overload symptoms when I eat these cakes. And they taste great. I think they are WAY better than the Betty Crocker mixes in the regular cake mix aisle both in ingredients, and flavour.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!! Now one of the first books I'd recommend for a new celiac. The learning curve is steep enough, and Anne's way with mixes makes it convenient, safe, and less expensive to start baking again.
44 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 17, 2011
As a gluten-intolerant pilgrim in a gluten-filled world, this book met a compelling need to be able to have treats again. Conventional gluten-free baking requires a panorama of flours, leavening and gums to create 'passable' baked goods. This book builds recipes from Betty Crocker Gluten Free Cake and Brownie mixes; modifying them with basic kitchen staples to create wonderful treats I thought I'd given up forever.

The layout includes chapters on Cakes, Cookies, Brownies, Bars and Bundts. Each recipe includes pointers, options, and modifications for Dairy-free . The narrative for each recipe goes beyond construction to storage and presentation. There are columns adjacent to the recipe for one to record modifications and personal info for recipients.

This book would be a great gift for a newly diagnosed gluten-intolerant individual as a reminder that life will go on. The recipes are simple, the pantry supplies are easily available and the results are outstanding. Sophisticated cooks will appreciate the GF(gluten-free) options to further enhance the basic recipes.

What I appreciate most is that I no longer have to get out 8 diffenent flours and additives to make a batch of cookies, and that my spouse reports that all of the recipes I've tried are 'very good'. (Believe me, it's like getting an Oscar.)

This book has given me back my counter-tops!
on December 29, 2011
I bought the kindle version without thinking it through first. While the recipes are wonderful- especially the buttercream frosting recipe which everyone who has tried it has loved (I made it four times in December alone)- I wish I had purchased the paper version of the book. The kindle version makes it hard to flip back and forth from the cake recipes to the frosting recipes, and since there is no table of contents you must search for each item and scan through pages of results before bringing the recipe you are looking for up on the screen. I find that to be quite a hassle. In addition, I don't really like having my kindle on the kitchen counter while I'm pouring wet ingredients. This is a great cookbook, especially if you have a family member who is gluten-intolerant as I do, but do yourself a favor and get the paper version.
on September 13, 2012
I have the other Cake Mix Doctor cookbooks and have enjoyed making the recipes for my family and to take to gatherings. I recently found out that I have a sensitivity to wheat and gluten, as do my children, so I needed an alternative. In the month and a half that I've had this book we have tried 3 of the recipes and have not been disappointed. The Cake Mix Doctor even has a gluten-free version of our favorite regular recipe - Darn Good Chocolate Cake. We really liked the regular recipe, BUT we like the gluten-free recipe even better. Even my husband, who does not have a gluten/wheat sensitivity liked the gluten-free version. We're looking forward to trying more of the book's cake recipes.
on January 7, 2014
Let me start by saying I'm a big fan of the, "Cake Doctor," books. Anything that makes gluten-free baking easier is awesome. However, many of the cake recipes in this book rely on Kraft Pudding additions--which are not gluten-free because of cross-contamination.

In years past, it was sort of an internet meme on celiac disease boards, from people feeding celiac kids not-entirely-gluten-free-food, that Kraft would tell you if something contained wheat.

That's true: Kraft will tell you if something contains wheat. What they won't say, because it would negatively affect sales, is that hundreds of their products are made in huge mills that process wheat containing ingredients. Many, many things that Kraft sells are cross-contaminated, badly, and will make anyone with celiac or gluten-intolerance quite ill. (Their puddings, both in ready-made and refrigerator-ready form, and their cheese slices are not gluten-free; as a celiac who is only mildly lactose intolerant, I can speak to being glutened by them, severely.)

The good news is that Trader Joe's makes a Kraft pudding copy that is gluten-free. Just avoid the Kraft pudding add-ins, and this is a really good book.
VINE VOICEon May 2, 2016
A friend told me about the Cake Mix Doctor cookbook years ago and always made the best cakes from those recipes. I was very excited to see that she has a Gluten-Free version of her cookbook. My sister-in-law has Celiacs disease but LOVES cake. There are gluten free mixes on the market but most are grainy and not very good. I bought a mix that was based primarily on rice flour and followed the recipe for Hummingbird Cake. The mix I bought was larger than the ones recommended by the author so I had to tweak the recipe a little. However, she provides a lot of tips at the start of the book so adjusting to the larger mix was a success. I served it at a party and all my friends loved it. I have this book in the Kindle version but I recommend you get the real book since the recipes for the frostings recommended to go with the cakes are in different parts of the book. I added book marks and that made it easier to flip back and forth. Thank you Anne Byrn for recognizing that people with Gluten problems want to eat their cake too.
on April 20, 2016
This is a great way to "doctor up" cake mixes to taste like homemade. There is a learning curve to baking gluten free, and I have had many flops when trying to adapt my old recipes with gluten free flour blends. Using a mix such as Betty Crocker, or Aldi, takes the guesswork out of it. For those reviewers who were expecting "from scratch" recipes, I have to say - DUH! This is the whole point -- CAKE DOCTOR, i.e., doctoring up a cake mix. Guess they missed the main point of this author!
on August 30, 2012
If you are familiar with the Cake Doctor books, this one is nothing new. Boxed cake mixes with mix ins. The 2 recipes that I have made from the book, Hot Lemon Poke Cake and Chocolate Cloud Cookies have both been really good. That said, the fact that it has no page numbers makes me crazy. The index is useless and you can't find recipes referenced by page number throughout the text. However, I only paid $2.99 for the Kindle edition of this book so I can't really complain. The Cake Doctor is easy and that is what I was looking for. Spend the $2.99 and give it a try.
on August 27, 2015
I bought this book a while back and I love it! Sure you use a cake mix as a base, but there always isn't time for a scratch gluten free cake. Plus I don't always have the multitude if ingredients needed for a scratch GF cake. I use glutino mixes and GF pudding (when needed) and have success every time. If you need a treat and are sick of only finding chocolate and vanilla buy this book, it takes all the guess work out of tweaking a recipe.