Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports toystl17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 39 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 50 reviews
on September 27, 2013
Just got her cd today, and I am already listening to it for the third time in a row.

This, her fouth solo-album (unless you count Méav with Aununa: Celtic Dreams), is an excellent mix of both traditional and new songs. I really liked her new song 'The Calling' after which the album is named, and her new song 'The Songline To Home' almost brought me to tears. Her interpretation of 'Black Is The Colour' is really quite beautiful, and vastly different from Lisa Lambe's version from the Celtic Woman album 'Believe' ( Believe ).

Overall this cd with its relaxing music is highly recommendable. And I hope we don't have to wait to long for her next album.

PS: 'Glasgow's Burning', another of her new songs is a good one, which I heard for the first time on another cd ( Divinas: Live At Chambord Castle ) and DVD (and recently aired on PBS) along with two other songs found on this album. You may wish to check it out, the cd is great (because Meav is on it :-) ) and the other two artists with excellent voices.
on November 3, 2013
Her voice is angelic, but her upper-register range (or something) makes it difficult to understand the lyrics. Most of the songs are well-known, so that isn't a problem. More of a problem is that her sophisticated voice seems ill-suited for several of the folk songs and spirituals on the album (e.g. "Shenandoah" -- and "I'm Just a Poor Wayfaring Stranger"!!!??). I got the CD for my wife because she loves Celtic Woman and Maev, but we were both disappointed in the choice of songs on this CD.
on December 30, 2013
Meav is simply mesmerizing! I have loved her since Celtic Woman days, and was always astonished at her pure voice and exceptional presentation, but this new album simply knocked me off my feet. From the first note of "The First Time...", I was enthralled at her mastery of tone and projection, (I am a professional voice talent, and so yes, I DO recognize perfection), and literally had to drop everything to listen to every pure note, emotive niche, and simple beauty.

GET THIS ALBUM! If you want inspiration, power, and the best in music, here it is!
on March 31, 2017
Meav has the greatest voice, and the is a very good album.
on April 15, 2015
I cannot stop listening to this album. I believe it is that good. This album ministers to a place in my heart and to me it is timeless. The songs chosen and the way they are performed within it are in my opinion flawless. I would love to hear Meav perform these songs in a DVD someday.
on December 27, 2013
I don't think so. I've been listening to her in the earlier Celtic Women CDs as well as her earlier solo albums, and I am completely hooked on this woman's voice - to the extent that I have a character in my book who shares the name. I especially like this album because she is not limiting herself to traditional Celtic material, and it's delightful to hear her branch out.
on October 4, 2013
If you like hauntingly beautiful Celtic music this one is for you. I the same style of Celtic Woman Meav (formerly of Celtic Woman) shares with us the amazing gift of her voice. she is amazing and her voice has to be heard to be believed.
on March 3, 2015
Once again, I really enjoyed the recordings of this album. The songs were so moving for me. I enjoy listening and singing along as well. Maev's clear voice is angelic and her renditions of these songs just touch that place in my heart that calls to me. Love it.
on October 6, 2013
Meav is probalby best known for being one ofo the founding members of Celtic Woman. While Meav was with CW for only a few seasons she helped set the standards that have made CW the international sensation that it is. Since leaving CW Meav performed as a guest vocalist on Orla Fallon's, also a fmr member of CW, 2009 Christmas CD/DVD and a c2011 PBS special "Live at Chambord Castle" with tow ohter international singing sensations. The Callng is Meav's first sollo CD since her pre CW days. It is a sensation. Her v ersion of "First Time I ever Saw Your Face" would have made Roberta Flack's mouth water with envy. The song "The Calling" shows why Meav is a power soprano. She hits those high notes with perfect pitch with a voice as smooth a velvet. Listenning to Meav is a uplifting ethereal experience. Other songs include the classic "Shenandoah, Wayfaring Stranger Black is the Color and Glasgow"Burning. All traditional music that Meav loves. Next to the Calling my favorite song is Sovay. Its a funny cheeky verson of the highwayman theme except its the woman who dresses as an outlaw. In disguise she robs her sweetheart demanding his gold, watch and diamond ring. He yeilds up his gold and watch but refuses to part with the diamond ring which is a token from his true love. Later when the ruse is discovered she explains she was testing him to see if he was a man or not. If he had given up the ring she'd have shoot him dead. Lession being don't mess with Irish women. You do so at your own peril. I fully expect Meav's newest CD to be nominated for a Grammy next year. If it isn't then the judges are deaf as well as being very very dumb. Thank you Meav for sharing your wonderful talent with your fans. If you love great music order this CD you will not be disappointed.
on June 11, 2016
This CD has an excellent list of songs. Meav has always been one of my favorites. Wish I could sing like her!