Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Cat From Outer Space
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

Format: DVD|Change

on March 23, 2000
His name is Zunar J5 Zoric 9/49, but everyone just calls him Jake. His home planet is never identified, but they must have some beautiful felines there if this talented extraterrestrial abyssinian is their ambassador.
Actually, Jake just comes to Earth because of maintenance problems on his space-going scout ship. After arriving, he teams up with a superb comic cast, including Ken Berry, Sandy Duncan, MacLean Stevenson, Harry Morgan and Roddy McDowell for some of the zaniest adventures you or your children will ever enjoy. Just for good measure, Jake brings along the most unique flea collar ever made, and therein lies most of the story.
Jake only needs a small amount of a fairly common substance (on his planet) to repair his ship. Unfortunately, that common substance turns out to be about $120,000 worth of gold. Needing that kind of material help in a short period of time provides the vehicle for a madcap comedy.
The Cat from Outer Space isn't a classic, but it's close, and it's wonderful entertainment that you can be comfortable letting your children watch without supervision. You won't even mind when they ask to see it again and again. You'll probably watch, too!
Highly recommended for Disney fans and Cat Lovers everywhere.
on July 25, 2005
I first saw "The Cat from Outer Space" while a little girl years ago and fell on the floor laughing. When I saw it was available on DVD, I quickly purchased it to have it for my family so my 3 year old daughter can have it for when she is old enough to enjoy the humor. That won't be long as the movie is simply infectious and has humor for all ages.

The plot is simple. An alien cat with a most unusal collar, named Zunar J5 Zoric 9/49, but whom everyone just calls "Jake" has made an emergency landing on Earth for repairs. He has only a limited amount of time to fix his spaceship before his rendevous with the mothership, that he calls "Mother", otherwise he will be stranded on Earth for years. I used to think he was from Mars, but actually his home planet is never identified.

Jake spends his time after arriving with a terrific comedic cast including two from M*A*S*H (Harry Morgan as a gruff General and MacLean Stevenson as a compusive gambler friend), as well as Ken Berry (you've got to see "The Ugly Daschund" if you love this movie!), Sandy Duncan, and Roddy McDowell in some of the craziest misadventures you'll ever witness. A timeless story that you won't be embarrassed to watch with your kids or grandparents.

In the film, it seems at first quite easy to repair his spaceship, until Jake realizes that he needs quite a lot of what is fairly common on his planet to fix it - gold! About $120,000 worth!! The rest of the film involves twists and turns about Harry Morgan as the general, trying to discover who the alien is, and the various ways Jake and his friends try to raise the capital in such a short time without raising suspitions. There is also a spy who is out to foil their plans as a subplot and that just goes to throw everything into a tizzy. There is even a quite suspenseful chase-scene!

Overall, this is film is great fun with really timeless humor. You can watch it again and again. There's no cursing or bathroom humor, so you don't have to be embarrassed to watch it with your kids or even your grandparents. Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon October 22, 2004
Zunar J5 Zoric 9/49 "Jake" makes an emergency landing and must fix his ship before joining his Mother Ship. Time is limited. With the help of a few humans, after shocking them a few times, he must find the material to fix his ship (I won't tell what it is and ruin it for you), get his ship back from the military (which has quarantined it for study), as well as fix the ship and get off Earth. The result is funny and lovable all at once.

***** I grew up watching this movie any time I could. When it was finally released on VHS I purchased my copy quickly. I also wore it out...TWICE. I have purchased, over the years, most of the Disney animated movies, but few of the un-animated classics. And I have never worn out a video tape before, much less twice. So DVD is a must for me.

My son is in his middle teen years. As a mom, I was delighted to share this movie with him as a child. Now, it is one of his fond memories of spending time with me and a bowl of popcorn. Just us and Jake.

This movie is clean fun. It is perfect for any age, from 4 to 104. Know someone who loves classic movies? About about a Disney fan? Or how about a cat person who treats their cat(s) like part of the family? Well, then this DVD would make a perfect gift for any occassion.

Highly recommended to one and all. *****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.
on August 13, 2005
I loved this movie as a kid. So, I watched it recently, out of a sense of nostalgia. I still love it! The fact that both colonels from M*A*S*H is choice! It has an all-star cast, and all the roles are strong. It's nice to see a movie that's good and clean. Why can't more recent movies do the same? This movie's great for people of all ages. It doesn't seem to juvenille nor antiquated. Being a cat lover myself is definitely a plus. Recommended for cat lovers and non-cat lovers alike!
on June 18, 2004
When I was a little girl this movie was played every Thanksgiving on local TV. The movie really caught my eyes because the lead character was an orange cat from outer space. The movie is your usual Disney fair; no swearing, violence, or adult situations, and is suitable for all children and many adults.
The cat, a lovely Absymian named Jake, crashes on earth and seeks the help of a scientist and his quirky friends. The army gets involved, but not expecting a cat, get very confused very quickly. If you have a cat lover in your family who likes fun, campy romps, this one is sure to please!
on August 19, 2014
I grew up watching this great family movie. What the movie has going for it:

The Story: Very original and clever. While this was not the first or last movie to make an animal talk, the way the Cat does is very original and fun. The story doesn't bog down in details, and has just enough action in it to keep the kids interested.

The Cast: The cast is mainly composed of actors that Disney used in several films through the 70s, Ken Berry, Sandy Duncan, Harry Morgan, etc..., Berry is perfectly suited as the main actor and I love Sandy Duncan! She's one of the more under-rated actresses in the Disney Stable during this period.

Interesting Note: Mclean Stevenson and Harry Morgan, both from MASH are in this movie, to my knowledge other than one episode of MASH, this is the only time they are together.

This is a great movie that your family will enjoy
on February 10, 2016
I know it's a cheesy, silly old low budget movie about an alien house cat, but it's fun and my kids loved it. For us old timers it's fun to see the M*A*S*H guys, Colonel Potter and Colonel Blake, together.
"No one would have believed, in the last years of the 19th century, that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligence greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own..." H. G. Wells

The year 1978 a strange light shows up on a remote farm. We hold our breath as we find we have been invaded by something furry from outer space.

This is a fun Disney movie with the standard formula of hijinks and chase scenes. We get all the popular Disney type actors at their best. If you are no longer kiddo this seems may seem a little campy and slapstick; however I guarantee they will still be fun.

We learn to choose our friends wisely and once chosen stand by them through thick or thin.
on March 6, 2000
More Disney madness with a top secret government project and a cat who lands to Earth from Outer Space co-insiding with each other. That Darn Cat couldn't even compare to this laugh-fest! If you even half-liked "Escape From Witch Mountain", you will LOVE this movie, just like me.
on June 20, 2008
I remember watching this movie when I was younger and enjoying it. When I came across it here, I figured I should get the dvd version. I now play it at work for our clients to watch. Seems fitting for a vet clinic.