Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop women's shoes nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. New LG V35 ThinQ | $699.99. Save with Prime Exclusive Phones. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

on May 22, 2015
Rick Broida's "Cheapskate Rules" was a great read at a tiny little price (in keeping with the theme). Read cover to cover you'd get through it in an hour or two and it had so many practical and easy ideas for saving money on all things digital. It's written predominantly for an American audience, but other readers can still make use of most of it. It was well-written, informative, funny and entertaining. As well as a great sense of humour this man really knows his stuff (being a proud [ie: smart] cheapskate from way back, as I'm sure he'd happily attest to). It covers everything from getting discounts and great deals on credit cards and new technology, to free virus-proofing and reviving your PC without spending a cent, to saving on downloaded music and movies, to suggestions for great apps as well as excellent tech advice across a wide range of topics. I've bought about 20 ebooks this year and haven't finished any of them except this one! Mind you it was a faster read than 'Crime and Punishment' but still, just as meaningful, in its own way. :o)
WELL worth the couple of dollars.
2 people found this helpful
on December 17, 2013
I follow Rick's Cheapskate Blog on Cnet dot com. Google those terms and you'll find it if you're interested. Some of the things in this e-book have been discussed in his weekday blog but not all of it. And to have all of these tips in one place is great. You could say this is a handbook on how to save money when buying online. If you have any reservations on spending a pittance on this book, then do yourself a favor and check out his blog every weekday for a few weeks to see the kinds of deals he finds. Then you will understand how he knows how to find the best deals, and while these techniques are no real secret, you will probably find one that will pay for the book in a short time.

Donald
on October 28, 2013
Rick Broida has been CNET's Cheapskate for 5 years now (how time flies!) and those years have been well spent honing his skills at squeezing every loose nickel from tech prices. Rick scours the web daily for those prized cheepies and freebies that make you feels like a kid on Christmas morning. But now, Santa Cheapskate has opened his bag of tricks in the form of this ebook just in time for the holiday shopping crush!! He lets us in on all the tips and tricks he's gleaned over the years, and sprinkles in some hard-learned caveats, as well. Whether you are looking for hardware, software, videogames, consumer tech or just geeky gizmos or gadgets, you will walk into that mad marketplace well armed with the Cheapskate watching your six!
on October 22, 2013
I purchased The Cheapskate Rules from Amazon.

I emailed Rick yesterday whether I could read the book on my 17" MacBook Pro. He answered yes today. I paid for the book and it downloaded almost instantly to my computer. The print is large and the book is easy to read and turn pages. That was my main concern, because I am used to reading paper books and turning paper pages. Also I might want to print a page on how to save so I would not have to remember. I was able to print page 1 as a test. This will come in handy.

I will submit another review when I finish the book.

Joe Hagedorn
on November 12, 2013
Wow! And I thought I knew all the tricks. I learned about library perks, free cloud storage, and a bunch of apps that I can't live without now. This is a real bargain...and make sure to check out his daily deals on CNet -Rick's saved me so much money on deals I'm nearly broke😀
6 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on October 15, 2013
This is one of those things you buy that pays for itself quite quickly. By the end of even the first chapter, you have begun to build your toolset for saving money. It is written in a smart, fun way as well, so it's a joy to read!
10 people found this helpful
on December 26, 2013
I'm usually on the lookout for savings. The Cheapskate blog appeals to me for that very reason. When Rick mentioned this book I figured that for the price I'd save much more, and I did. It's not high brow writing. It doesn't have a plot. However, it's a quick read that doesn't bore you and it's easy to sample the suggestions. It's easy to recommend this book if you are technical and have a cheap-o strain running through your value systems.
on November 14, 2013
I don't typically give 5 star reviews becasue I know many people ignore 5and 1 star reviews (me included, for the most part). But I love Rick Broida's "Cheapskate Blog" on CNET.com. This book is chock full of tips, tricks and websites that can save you $$$. Some are simple, some take a bit more time but if you enjoy "getting a deal", it's well worth the "Price of Admission". Broida has the best job in technology!!
on December 4, 2013
Loved this book! Lots of great money saving tips. Only wish it were longer. ;)

Here's a tip many may know that worked great for my first read. I opened the book in my iPhone Kindle app after setting up the phone to use Accessibility Narration set to use a triple click of the home button. So, I connect my phone to my car stereo like I would for playing MP3's, but with Kindle launched and the book open, I triple click and the swipe down with two fingers. From them on my eBook essentially becomes a Audio Book. This made my commute a great learning experience and distracted me for traffic just making me angry! ;)

Thank again for a great book. Hope you are already working on the second one! :)
on October 24, 2013
I was able to save way more than the price of the book just using one of the ideas and the others seem mostly pretty good though not something I need right now. Of course none of these ideas are even remotely secret, you can figure them out through some online research, but having them all together saves all that time plus gives me some ideas I would not have thought of.
One person found this helpful