Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 17 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 98 reviews
on April 7, 2017
So funny and poignant. And, because it's Chip Kidd, it's beautifully laid out. I can look at this book for an hour and find things I never saw before. I bought this copy for a friend, but I own the hardcover myself - if you can find that you should grab it!
VINE VOICEon December 3, 2001
The Cheese Monkeys is a rare kind of novel--completely off the wall, yet completely accessible, completely readable. It's the story of a freshman at a huge state college who decides to major in art because he knows it will be mishandled in some mediocre way and for his first semester, it is. He takes drawing from a woman whose artistic expertise and tastes even this 18 year old disdains. The class, however, still has its merits. He manages to befriend two diametrically opposed women who take his second semester art class--commercial (or maybe its graphic) arts. The professor is borderline insane, as are many of the assignments. Kidd does an excellent job of evoking the weirdness and the fun of college. The ending of the novel is a little bizarre, and Kidd does manage to fill the book with much of what appears to be his own philosophy of art (its not forced, which is refreshing). The novel is funny and clever and I really enjoyed it. Well done.
on March 18, 2012
The book kept me turning the pages. It was shocking, it was revolting, it was funny, it was lovely. Yes, some people may say the ending wasn't great or call it a "cop-out", but I love the ending. Not every ending can end with a kiss and a sticker. Sometimes it ends with the grill of a diesel truck smacking into you at 75mph. And those endings are the ones we remember.
on December 10, 2014
Every freshman year art student needs to read this book. It should be required reading. It is fantastic.

I read it my senior year in art school, and it made my remaining time much more enjoyable. I then gave a copy to my stepsister, who was entering art school the next year.

When you're in art school, I have found that a lot of people have felt extremely alienated and nervous about what they're doing at all with their lives. I know I did. I still question it a lot, but this book helped me realize that I am NOT the only person that feels or felt that way! I realized that yes, art school kind of sucks for everyone, but it's important enough that you're doing what you love that you can make it through!

I think that this is an absolute must-have for any/all art students. It is fantastic. Plus, Chip Kidd's book covers are probably on books that you own. Check out his work!
on December 5, 2013
Fantastic. Ne,w original, creative, keeps you going yet at the same time is a light enough read that you can enjoy it while camping/in the car/on the bus to and from wherever you're going.

Kidd's writing is beautiful. It flows in such a natural current, a hypnotic joining of letters and punctuation that just saying the sentences out loud turns novel to poetry.

Great characters, interesting plot, and something excitingly new and inventive in a world that is leaning towards rehashing the same plot over and over and over.
on June 21, 2014
I read this book back in 2003, before my graphic design professor put this on our reading list. It captured me. I love Chip Kidd. He has a great writing style and I love the design of this book. Thats what makes this personal. He take a book and recreates it using an imagination like no other. Touche!
on February 19, 2008
I feel like a party crasher. I don't know why it took me so long to read "The Cheese Monkeys," I'd been aware of it for a number of years. Finally, in the dullest of doldrums, where every book I'd pick up ultimately failed to engage my imagination, I read this roaringly funny coming of age novel.

Written by graphic designer Chip Kidd, "The Cheese Monkeys" is a novel of art school academia, which I thought would bore me. However, the book is wholly original and thought provoking. It's smart, has style to spare, and is unique in execution. The characters all seem true to life - even the broadest of them are free of exaggeration and conjure memories of people I've actually known.

I'm not going to bore you with quotes and details from this gem; just know this: "The Cheese Monkeys" is a GREAT American novel and you'd be a damned fool not to read it.
on September 14, 2006
But Kidd needs to work on character development. Cheese Monkeys has the standard key players in this kind of scenario - Naive Young Narrator, Shocking Misfit Who Dresses Oddly, Southern Transplant, Egotistical Professor Who Teaches Through Fear, etc. No idea who these people really are or how they became the sketches of personality we are presented. Kidd also needs to work on better endings. Read Donna Tartt's Secret History instead.
on December 29, 2001
You have to hold the hardcover version of this book in your hands to truly appreciate it. Little delights are everywhere. Thank you messages run around the cover's edge. Hidden slogans lurk in plain view. Even the normally-boilerplate copyright statement seduces the eye. The fact that the enclosed story proves every bit as diverting is almost a bonus.
on October 12, 2011
It's a great read. It's clever, witty, and leaves you hanging. I almost always cry during certain parts. The sequel is not nearly as good.