Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

The Chieftains 9: Boil the Breakfast Early
Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:$8.98+ $3.99 shipping

on January 5, 2008
My DH and I bought this as an LP back in the 80s. We recorded it to cassette and played the hell out of it during drives up and down the coast.

I now own it on CD and still play it often. There isn't one song on it that I don't like. It's infectious and at it's most bouncing makes me wish I knew Irish dancing.

I never knew about the Chieftains until my DH introduced me to them. We saw them once in concert and it was grand! Since then, we enjoyed their collaborations with other groups and artists ranging from U.S Country to Spanish Gypsy, from orchestral to rock and roll. Under Paddy Maloney, they have blossomed to encompass more than traditional Irish music, but have never lost sight of the foundation of their work.

Though they have lost Derek Bell (my favourite) and I have lost my DH, I will continue to play this album, "The Long Black Veil" and others because the music is beautiful, well-played, embued with passion, and I often learn something about other cultures from hearing their music.
on October 20, 2013
The instrumental tracks on this are some of the best ever by the Chieftains.
I'm not a lover of the vocal tracks.
The body of work the Chieftains have accomplished over the years is truly outstanding.
While many say that Boil the Breakfast Early is them at their best?
I'm not so sure?
It is truly an all Irish music fest.
Without any of the vast array of other musicians who they have played with over the years.
But god bless the Chieftains and here's to the next fifty years
on January 18, 2017
I bought this for my husband , he absolutely loves it. Really like that when ones buys a CD from Amazon there is a free download avail too.
The CD arrived in perfect condition and plays well. We've bought several music CD album s and have loved them all.
on January 28, 2008
I used to listen to this on an LP in college and finally broke down and bought the CD. WOW!!! My musical appreciation has grown over the years and these guys are first rate musicians by any standard! Every song is extremely well-crafted. The musicianship is impeccable. They experiment contstantly. And the work is never pedantic, but enjoyable. I'd compare this to the best chamber music for formal quality, but to a great footstomping band for fun. If you want a thrilling listening experience, this is a great way to go. I only wish they had more vocal performances. One is a capella, in the other the voice is more of an ensemble instrument than a soloist. To bad too. Great voices.
on February 8, 2017
Grew up with this music, in record form. Fond memories. Only one song in English, and that one is totally acapella.
on June 9, 2013
As with most, if not all, of their recordings, The Chieftains have a way of peeling back the layers that make life a bore; in so doing, they excite the spirit inside each one of us. I find their music ageless. I know better, but I have hoped this group would never stop travelling throughout he world entertaining such a variety of cultures. They have shown how adaptable the instruments of one small nation can be to the instruments and music of those who have always seemed worlds apart.
I don't care who you are, where you are from, what your background is, what your musical taste is - you will enjoy the Chieftains. If, however, you find you don't - then you may want to examine your musical taste. These guys are world-class musicians and can adapt to any style. They have performed with many of the top names in the music business and we are the recipients of the collaborations.
on July 14, 2016
I like this very much but have other Cheiftan's CD's that appeal to me more.
on April 25, 2017
Received quickly and was on my son in laws list of wants
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 25, 2015
more trad and less eclectic than Long Black Veil, still a classic must-have if you are a fan.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse