Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The China Study All-Star Collection: Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes from Your Favorite Vegan Chefs
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Joseph Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

on April 30, 2014
I really appreciate having this cookbook in my collection. It contains recipes from authors I'm already familiar with like: Dreena Burton, Del Sroufe, Ani Phyo, and Lindsay Nixon. And ones I'm just beginning to admire via this book like Heather Crosby. This is a well rounded cookbook containing many gluten free, soy free, raw and cooked options. Theres everything from baked goods, breakfasts, appetizers, burgers, tacos, and desserts (in addition to soups, salads, sides and entrees). Almost every recipe is accompanied with a beautiful photograph. Simple, fast recipes for days you just want a healthy meal on the table quickly and slightly more complicated recipes you would like to tackle on a weekend. There are also tips and variations for many recipes. Certainly there is something to appeal to everyone.

I made the Creamy Broccoli and Red Pepper Macaroni as part of dinner the other night (recipe by Heather Crosby) - this received rave reviews and is great served warm or cold as a left over the next day. This would be great for a picnic or potluck. You would never know this is oil free!

If you already own cookbooks by some of the authors listed above you may notice some repeats, but don't shy away. There are many new things to try. I've bookmarked the blueberry pie chia parfait, zucchini and summer squash muffins (gluten free), the festive kale salad, and peppermint chocolate chunk ice cream.

I definitely recommend this book.

Update: I've also, made the

Almond cardamom cream chia pudding with fresh strawberries and hemp seeds - good but I like some other chia puddings more. It seemed a little too thick for my liking and will be easy to adjust next time. But the hemp seeds are brilliant!

Savory Mushroom stronganoff - this is a five star meal for sure and will be in regular rotation at my house! The only substitution I made was using corn starch to thicken the sauce and gluten free pasta. This is my favorite recipe so far!

Kale Salad with walnuts and cranberries, with the maple vinaigrette DELICIOUS!!! Simple and so satisfying - great unique salad when you want something a little different from the norm.

Cauliflower steaks with sweet pepper sauce- I added some fennel seeds to the sauce and served it with mashed potatoes, this is a serious meal. It kinda reminds me of stuffed peppers. So good!!
review image
44 comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2014
Excellent, easy to follow recipes that are truly delicious and are perfect examples why a whole foods plant-based lifestyle is fulfilling and as well as healthy. Made a difference in my life.
Only one drawback, they do NOT include caloric and other nutritional values for each recipe. Page 285 gives their reason for not including them:

"To be consistent with the message in 'The China Study' and especially its sequel, 'Whole', nutrient compositions are not presented with the recipes. Nutrient contents in different samples of the same food often are highly variable, leading consumers to be concerned with trivial and meaningless differences instead of the far more important health characteristics of food variety and wholesomeness."

I personally prefer to know the nutritional and caloric content of what I eat, but I won't sweat the small things. It's all complete, whole, plant-based foods that satisfy my taste buds and feed my body everything it needs.
Definitely worth the purchase.
33 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2014
This books basically looks like a repeat of some of BenBella book authors' previous recipes. It has the look of the China Study Cookbook with the color pictures and little blurbs of great information from Colin Campbell.

I like hearty recipes that are not too complicated and this pretty much seems to fit the bill. I have all of the Happy Herbivore cookbooks, so I don't need those recipes, but I am so glad they are included; it makes me go back to try recipes I haven't gotten to yet. I just made the aloo gobi & it was so good! There also are recipes from Chef AJ & Dreena Burton that I would like to try.

If you do not have the other cookbooks by these authors, you should consider buying this book. My only complaint is that nutritional breakdowns are not included. That is one thing that I love about the Happy Herbivore cookbooks that is lacking in the China Study cookbooks.
22 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
It was a while back in the past when we purchased 'The China Study Cookbook' and enjoyed that book as much as this new cookbook by LeAnne Campbell. The author highlights the health benefits of a plant-based diet with updated medical advice, and recommendations for a healthy diet. All mouth-watering, flavorful recipes include: The number of servings, simple directions, and helpful tips. There are several inviting, colorful photos that compliment the recipes. Many of the ingredients are common, and several recipes are within a friendly budget.

The Index includes: Breads & Muffins; Breakfast; Salads; Soups & Chillis; Burgers, Sandwiches, And Tacos; Entrees; Side Dishes; And Desserts.

Some of the delicious Desserts include: Mint Chocolate Mousse Torte; Peanut Butter Fudge Truffles; And Easy Breezy Sunday Cobbler. We are anxious to make the Coconut Pillows. We made the Creamy Fettuccini, which is simple to make, and very tasty. I have lemons & limes at home, so we made the Lemon-Lime Green Smoothie, which was delicious, and filling. Our Next Selections will be the Creamy Broccoli Soup, The Nacho "Cheese" Sauce which my daughter selected, and the Baked Onion Rings. We will leave updates with New recipes we try. Most of the recipes are easy-to-prepare with simple preparation. A Great addition to my cookbook collection at a reasonable price. Highly recommended for all those seeking a healthy diet on a friendly budget. Highly recommended.
99 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 4, 2014
Even a non-cook like me can turn out delicious food with this cookbook! The recipes are foolproof, and there's only been one that I didn't *love* (grated carrot salad with raisins and maple syrup). I've already started yearning for this kind of food after a few weeks of trying it out. Note: you will need a food processor, Vitamix or some other kind of blender for many of the recipes.
on April 26, 2014
Since I became a vegetarian with a bent towards vegan dishes, I have bought The Forks Over Knives Cookbook and The China Study Cookbook plus many others too numerous to mention. This is my go to cookbook from now on.
on June 24, 2014
We've been cooking up a storm out of this cookbook and so far they are all winners. The Red Lentil Chilli, the Chickpea Burgers, the Twice Baked Potatoes, the Nacho Cheese Sauce, all easy to make, keep well (I cook on Sunday's for the week), and are really tasty and satisfying.

Highly recommend!
on August 4, 2014
This is based on the book format in kindle not the content...

Excited for this book, I bought it on a kindle so I could use it as a recipe tool in the kitchen on my ipad. Unfortunately, I think they just have not figured out a great way to transfer books to Kindle versions yet. On the kindle version there is no table of contents available to search through recipes- thats the real problem with it. Formatting in my set text size is wonky, which I have seen pages automatically adjust to text size in other books. I had to manually go through on the ipad each page, to find different sections, then bookmark them so I can go back to each section later, however there is no big table of contents so I can easily "open" to a section or even a subsection recipe.

On a kindle version of a recipe book, the creators should take advantage of the technology, linking recipe authors to their websites or amazon page, or including short videos and more photos. The possibility is really great but all I was looking for was basic accessibility. The recipes look good, I would buy this in a paper format, at least until they improve the digital!
on May 4, 2015
All vegan. I really like the pictures. Directions easy to follow. I have tried a lot of the recipes already. I would say I am interested in about 25% of the recipes in this book. Some I tried did not taste good at all. Some of the recipes required way too many ingredients and would be too expensive. Also, dont purchase this book unless you have a real food processor, as almost all recipes require it. Some very good nut-based pasta sauces. Overall, do recommend.
on August 5, 2014
You know, it just pays to be open minded. What would you have to lose but your medicines you take?! The Campbell just want to spread the news of eating a whole Food, Plant-Based diet or way of eating. They have done an excellent job. Please try this. Anyone can do anything for 30 days. Yes, its a challenge.