Bubble Witch Saga 3 Vehicles Review Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc August Greene All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

on December 10, 2016
I'm posting this two years after reading The China Study and what subsequently followed was radically changing into beimg nearly 95% of the time vegan all the time. This book was a game changer for me. If you find the book hard to follow or understand, buy the audio version because I think you will find it's easier to understand and follow. As a engineer and scientist, I followed up and read some of Campbell's journal papers. I was stunned by the findings enough to have a paradigm shift in what I would choose to eat forever more. Like a smoker that quits a bad habit overnight, I did the same with what I ate. No more fast food, added sugar, junk, cows milk, etc. I dumped the western diet and my 50yr habit of what I ate since birth to simply eating...plants. Whole, organic plants is my food of choice. Over a period of 6 months I lost about 52 pounds, my weight dropped from 224 to 172, being 5ft 8in male, this was noticeable to all I new. Seeing is believing. My blood screening numbers are all normal except for B12 and Vit D were found to be low; so I take supplements for only those two things and feel fantastic. Im going on to my 3rd yr now after reading this book and changing to whole plants I feel like I did when I was in grade school with energy and skip in my step. Im writing this with the hope that it gives someone inspiration that they (you) too can do it too. Never being a gym person, I've recently begun to add modest exercise 1 or 2x per week in the past 6 months which makes me feel additionally very good after a 45 min workout. But absolutely, the biggest bang for my my health and feeing good comes most definitely in what I choose to eat. Don't get me wrong, I love chicken wings, cheeseburgers, fries, cookies, cake and pie, but they don't love me. I'd say 90% of what's in a supermarket and 95% of most restaurant menus in the US wont meet a true whole foods, plant based diet. If I were to give advice as to where to start, I would suggest after reading the China Study two things: theres a retired Dr. Esselstyn from the Cleveland Clinic that had a simple breakfast cereal he made at home. My version of it goes like this: 1-1.5 cups of raw oatmeal, sliced fresh strawberries, blueberries, figs, dates, rasins, prunes, add fresh blackberries and/or raspberries or whatever fruit you want. Add ground flax seed and chia seed. Add a sliced banana or two. Add unsweetened and unflavored almond milk. Stir the almond milk so it gets mixed in the raw oats. Wait 5 min then eat. Its very filling. I use all organic produce and oats now to avoid pesticides. The other thing I do is make 2-liters of green smoothies and drink it all throughout my day. I change up the frozen fruit in the smoothie (I'll use frozen mangos, pineapple, strawberries...for leafy green I may use a combo of baby spinach, kale, chard); here is an example of a smoothie I made today: 3 cups baby spinach, 1.5 cups of frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries), 2 apples, 2 pears, ground flax seed and chia seeds, 2 bananas, 2fl-oz of almond milk+2fl-oz of spring water. Blend. Makes 2 liters. Strongly recommend using a blender like a breville "the boss" (i use this and like it alot, sticker shock on price so get ready) or blendtec. After making the smoothie, take two to three large containers of the smoothie with u to work and drink this all through the day. Carry one of these containers with you around the office or in meetings like its you're new coffee mug. Lol. I dumped milk and dairy, and check the labels...I absoultely won't eat anything with added sugar. For dinner, I started out using the "big salad" recipe that can be found at chrisbeatcancer.com In two weeks of consisitent eating whole plant based diet, I began to notice the change and feel better overall; the positive change in two weeks kept me going, week after week, month after month. Dont let people put doubts in your mind. If I can do it, you can do it too if you want it. I hope my note is helpful.
88 comments| 677 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 4, 2016
-There is a mountain of scientific evidence to show that the healthiest diet you can possibly consume is a high carbohydrate diet.
-The past 60 years have been a celebration of chemicals and technology instead of diet and prevention. So we don’t die from heart disease as often, but we still get it at about the same rates. Those who have bypass surgery do not have fewer heart attacks than those who do not.
-Calcium builds strong bones, but cow’s milk weakens them, as osteoporosis. Americans, Australians and New Zealanders drink the most milk, and have the most bone fractures from middle age on.
-One of the biggest health hoaxes in history is the nutrient supplement industry.
-The health damage from doctors’ ignorance of nutrition is astounding.

Welcome back to The China Study, still straight-shooting, still dramatic, and about 70 pages longer in the new edition. This book provides more training in the health effects of food than MDs get in all their years of education. The clinical studies, the case histories and the science are all here in plain, direct language. It is a very hard book to put down. The facts, usually contrary to everything we’ve been taught, keep coming fast and hard.

The reason the facts are contrary is of course because of the usual suspects: Big Ag, Big Pharma and Big Processors. They have corrupted our universities with grants, infiltrated government agencies to keep the truth at bay, and spend billions advertising their false promises. We grow up with their falsehoods, and we believe in them. Those who try to speak out are isolated, shunned, removed and fired. It is all examined in you-are-there detail, because it all happened to Colin Campbell and other (once) highly-regarded doctors he profiles.

Campbell’s basic premise is that animal protein destroys our internal ecosystem. A Whole Food, Plant-Based diet not only maintains better health, it can even reverse damage. The scientific proof is endless – and so are the defenders of the SAD – Standard American Diet - that is about one third animal, between meat and dairy.

When I read the first China Study ten years ago, I immediately went back online and ordered a whole case of them. I then mailed them out to friends all over, preceded by an e-mail warning and my review. That’s how impressed I was. This second edition forced me to reread it. In so doing, I came across several strong new claims and rushed to the first edition, only to find they were already there. So this edition is as much a badly needed refresher as a new discovery. Glad they made me do it.

David Wineberg
review imagereview image
55 comments| 302 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 8, 2016
I have always been a meat-eater. In the traditional kitchen in Belgium, I think meat and dairy is served with most meals. And I have always thought it to be normal. I never thought I could adopt a vegan or plant based lifestyle. I have drastically changed my eating habits though, while and after reading this. Let me tell you why.

I am a very logical person. And a skeptical one. If I am to change my habits or reasoning, I need to have proof as to why. I need evidence and science to convince me. Once I have done enough research, I can start to form my own opinions and look at what is in front of me critically. That’s how I form my opinions. I’ve always been convinced that if you’re not well enough informed about a topic, you should not join a discussion about it. Educate yourself first, so you can reason with others.

I’d been interested in the topic of nutrition for a while, and this book comes highly recommended. I follow quite a few YouTubers who are vegan (and make What I Eat In a Day videos) and most of them recommend this book in the description box. So I decided to give it a go.

My first critical inquiry related to the author. If I was expected to trust this man’s findings and research, I need to know about his education. I was relieved to learn that T. Colin Campbell has a PhD in nutrition, biochemistry and microbiology. That I find trust worthy. A scientist. This book was co-authored with his son, Thomas Campbell, a medical doctor. This is intriguing to me as well because now we have both information from an MD, and a guy with a PhD in nutrition.

I was baffled by this book. Truly. It’s divided into several parts. In the first few, you get to learn about his start in nutritional studies, and the actual China Study. They talk about their findings, what they researched, how they did it, and so on. I find all this information very helpful, because it makes me trust the source more. Then in the next part, the authors explain how our Western world is ruled by these dairy and meat industries, and that even a government helps them. To me, that sounded like a conspiracy theory. But I have to be honest, I’m going to look into it more. This book is told mostly in application to Americans. It compares their health rates, their government and industries, etc. So I’m interested in looking up all this stuff relating to the EU.

Here are some of the main findings of the research. If you want to know more, or how they researched, then you’ll have to read the book (it’s really not that long).

Casein (the main protein in cow’s milk) causes liver cancer. When they did a study with two groups of rats, and fed one group a diet with 20% casein and the other a diet with 5%, after a certain amount of time, all the rats from the first group died from cancer. All of the rats from the second group were alive and healthy. Crazy, right?

In the Western world, the majority dies from diseases from affluence like heart disease, liver cancer, and so on. In China, the percentage of people dying from said diseases is far lower. This was found to be because: Chinese people eat a diet mainly consisting of plant-based food and protein while the Western diet mainly focuses on animal foods and protein.

The difference wasn’t genetic, because those Chinese people who moved to the US and adapted their diet to the Western one had the same disease rates as the other Americans. Genes don’t adapt that quickly.

Multiple diseases like liver cancer, prostate cancer, breast cancer, heart disease can be prevented by eating a whole foods, plant-based diet.

Even diseases like MS, dementia and Alzheimer’s could be slowed down by adapting the diet into a whole foods, plant-based one. I do say, slowed down because there is no cure for these diseases. Yet.

An experiment with people who had already suffered from a heart attack showed the following: the group that didn’t adapt their diet aside from the general recommendations by doctors all died after a few years. The people who adopted a whole foods plant-based diet instead, were almost all still alive AND had less symptoms than before their heart attack!

The evidence for these nutritional values and benefits is only valid for nutrients that come from the whole food you’ve eaten. Not for supplements.

I’m going to be honest, I’m a skeptic at heart. I need proof. Otherwise it’s all just mumbo-jumbo to me (did I make that word up?). But this book referenced so many different studies on nutrition and the animal based vs plant based diets! I didn’t even have a clue so many studies were conducted on the topic! WHY ARE NONE OF US TAUGHT THIS? If it can prevent so many diseases?

Anyway, I have changed my eating habits drastically. I still haven’t completely taken out meat and dairy, but I have diminished the amounts greatly. I now only eat meat-based dishes when I eat at my parents’ home -and even then not always. Sometimes I still eat some dairy when I feel like it. But I never thought I’d be able to do it. The thing is, I think that foods like cheese are a bit addictive. After you’ve done a few weeks without it, you don’t even crave it anymore. It’s crazy! I now crave oven baked potatoes. Which, if you know me, you’d think is crazy. I’ve never been a huge fan of potatoes.

I want to say lastly, that doctors always say you should keep your daily intake of dietary cholesterol below 150 mg. That way, you’ll have less risk of heart disease and such. If you eat a plant-based diet, a vegan diet, your daily intake is 0 mg.

I think everyone should read this book. I will definitely look into the subject more! If there is a way to convince me to change my lifestyle, it is to come at me with scientific proof. Enough, statistically significant, and valid scientific proof.
22 comments| 152 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 8, 2017
It is a long book, so I recommend audio format. I listened to it during my morning and afternoon commute. It is LIFE changing!! After just a few weeks, my fiance's blood pressure went from super-high to normal (checked at the cardiologist today). If you want good health and have a good chance to reverse chronic disease with good solid research behind the claims -- you must read/listen to this book!! The first part is more technical but insanely informative, but bear with it and listen all the way through. You won't be the same. I'm 16 pounds lighter and eat like crazy and have never felt better! Wish I had this when I was 20 rather than getting this information at 62. But - It's never to late to start!!
0Comment| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 4, 2017
After watching Cowspiracy, our dog Sophie has been very concerned about our food’s affect on the planet and on our health. She promptly convinced me to order The China Study. She’s an old girl but is thinking of going back to get a nutrition degree. She gets really close to the pages so she might need reading glasses.
review image
on February 5, 2018
In 2005, at the age of 37, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and have suffered unspeakable pain every day since then. Doctors recommended I start Enbrel injections, saying it was either that, or end up on a wheelchair. At no point did any healthcare professional ask me what I was eating. I ate anything that was pre-made, like pastas, burgers, cookies, breads, chips, pastries of all kinds, Mexican and Italian food with lots of butter and oils, drank sodas and sweet tea every single day, with the occasional "healthy" meal to (supposedly) bring balance. I WISH I had known about the simple truths Dr. Campbell presents in this book! It took my body THREE days to start feeling remarkably better once I radically eliminated all the poisons I was eating, and fully embraced a plant-based diet. I made two rules for myself in this new lifestyle: first, I would never go hungry, and second, I would only eat what I like and enjoy. Well, I have discovered an entire world of delicious and surprisingly filling foods! Because I'm actually able to handle and chop ingredients now that the pain is almost completely gone (I've been doing this for 2 months now), I find it fun to prepare meals, actually! It's been waaaay easier than I would've thought!

The healing that is taking place in my body since breaking off all ties to toxic foods and enjoying simple recipes using fruits, vegetables, brown rice, beans, and lots of green leafs, etc. is nothing short of miraculous! I feel energetic, younger, in a better mood, better able to handle stressful situations and just happier!

Please read this book and share it with friends and family. I also recommend Dr. Esselstyn and Dr. McDougall's books. They've changed my life. As far as films, I'm forever grateful for the story of Phil on "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" which inspired me to get off my butt and do this already. Also, "That Sugar Film" is a must see. But if you want a summary of what's on this wonderful book, The China Study, watch "Forks Over Knives" on Netflix.

You CAN reverse disease! I'm living proof. I feel healthier but I also have the improved cholesterol reports to prove it. I just can't wait to get a new RA panel to compare with the old, terrible one.

Break up with processed foods, dairy and meats the same way you'd break off a relationship with a toxic person. Just walk away and never look back. You'll love the new you. :)
on December 4, 2017
This book was the 'first step' to my New Life - active, happy, content and HEALTHY... vegan life.
All we need is truth! Thanks to Dr. Campbell I gave up drinking milk (wich is even more dangerous than meat). I stopped eating meat many years ago but even a vegetarian diet allowed me to eat yogurt and drink a huge mug of latte every morning. And I had the same bouquet of problems with my health as my meat loving friends. And now I know WHY!
We all know about the cruel part of the meat industry but when we're talking about our health and life quality just a few people in the world can find a great scientific argument. Thank you, Dr. Campbell!

Give up drinking 'liquid meat' and be healthy! ❤️

P.S.: I still have my huge mug of coffee every morning but with coconut milk...much more delicious 😋
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on December 18, 2016
Bought 20 of these books for Christmas presents. If i have any left over i will give to anyone I talk to that has an honest desire to live a long healthy life. I tell everyone to just read the introduction, that will defiantly get them interested in the book and won't be able to put it down. So awesome, i wish everyone was aware of the information in this scientific based book.
0Comment| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 4, 2017
Looks at numerous angles of diet and science. This book contains discussions on industry and academia and their extensive influence on the information made available to the public on nutrition is eye opening and deeply concerning.

They research presented on the China Study is compelling and extensive.

My personal experience is very consistent with the information presented in this book. I have been following a whole food plant based lifestyle for over 16 months. My health has improved significantly.

This book will help you change the way you eat and give you understanding of why. I would recommend the book and the whole food plant based lifestyle to everyone.
on October 6, 2017
this book can save lives buy ending people's ignorance on nutrition, and by eating right we can stop disease in its tracks.And I'm talking about Heart disease and many cancers the people are dying from.They find out the truth about eating foods that protect us from many cancers that people are getting because they are simply eating a toxic American diet, that is high fat !!! This very book helped save my life!!! Without a doubt, this book did more for me than any book I ever read.Thank's to Mr. Tom Colin Camble The China Study!!!
All The Best!!! Chris Hunt