Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 29 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 67 reviews
on February 26, 2014
Wonderful book that covers a lot of territory and covers it well. The other major work of Chang was The Rape of Nanking. It was so hard to read yet it had to be written and Chang did it -if you can use the word "beautiful " to describe an exhaustive report on the terrible things that people did/do to each; to their children; to their homes; their every thing-then yes. Nanking was a beautiful book.

We're a biracial family and one portion of the "bi" is Chinese. I had so happy that my little (at the time) daughters would have a brave and talented woman to look up to. My husband and I took her death very hard. Iris was so young, she had a child, she was so courageous and talented. Taken from us all too soon. I hope she can rest now, truly in peace.
on March 10, 2015
I was worried that Iris Chang had taken too large of a project to "fit" into one volume. but I think she handles the challenge well.
Although the work could be included as a textbook in a college course; it is not dull. It keeps one's interest with anecdotal stories. Iris' pride in being Chinese-American comes through. Occasionally one is reminded that this is a first edition and that a few passages would have been rewritten lightly. The sadness is that this is her last work. What other interests would have inspired her? We will never know...
on November 7, 2016
A long overdue contribution outlining the quintessence of what it means to go from one world to another and not only survive, but thrive. Asian-Americans (and Asian-Canadians) rock!
on June 12, 2016
Superb. An excellent case for having a Civil Rights holiday, in honor of all citizens who have suffered civil rights abuses instead of a holiday for one civil rights activist.
on October 6, 2014
Thank you, Iris Chang for this book. I hope that the demons that tormented your during your life no longer do so. It is a shame that Iris Chang only wrote three books, before she tragically took her own life. This book, like her other two books, is a gem. This book shares the experience of Chinese people in the United States. Chang brings their time in the United States to life as no other person can. From the earliest Chinese immigrants, to the building of the Central Pacific Railroad in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, to the struggle of China during World War II, the fall of China under Communist rule, to the present day lives of Chinese Americans. Iris Chang truly did just to Chinese Americans by writing this book.
on October 12, 2015
A thorough and insightful narrative of the Chinese in America. A hard working people that have been an asset to our melting pot and had to overcome many obstacles along their journey from mainland China and America. A good read!
on July 29, 2014
sad history
on February 26, 2014
China is in the news daily. Few Americans know much about this country. In a easy reading, concise style, this book educates the reader about the history and current status of China and why the country's impact on world economics will continue. Anyone would wants to learn more about China should read this book.
on June 27, 2005
As I thought back over this history of Chinese experience in America the first thing I came to realize was that, overall, their experience was the typical American immigrant story. The first generation works hard to survive and provide for the second generation. The second generation (partially because of Old World discipline and likely a desire to help struggling parents) uses education and opportunity to become successful. Finally, the third generation and beyond are fully "Americanized." I see a lot of similarities to the story of my own Irish ancestors.

Still, the experience of the Chinese and other Asian Americans is unique in certain respects. In particular, like African Americans, Asian Americans will always stand out in our society simply because of obvious differences in looks--Asians do not look like Europeans. This makes Asian Americans easier to marginalize and persecute, particularly in times of economic depression and civil unrest. And there certainly have been many instances of this, which Ms. Chang does well to describe from the Chinese Exclusion Act to the Red scare through the challenges of modern education and global economy. In spite of this, however, many Chinese have managed to do well in America and Ms. Chang describes many instances of this as well, giving at least a touch of balance to her account.

If there is a weakness in this book, it is that Ms. Chang has done her research too well and cannot help sharing the details of what she's learned. Too often, we are buried under a flurry of names. Though specific examples can add a good flavor to a book like this, too many specific examples are simply a challenge to the reader. Ms. Chang would have been better off, I think, pulling back on some of her instincts to share all.

In the end, however, this is a small complaint about a very good book. As the husband of a Chinese immigrant, I was looking for some reading that would help me better understand my wife and her extended family. This book fits the bill very well. If nothing else, I discovered the meaning of some of the terms they toss around (ABC = American-born Chinese), some of the challenges still faced by the Chinese in America and some of the resources available for "Hapa" (mixed-race people of some Asian ancestry) which my children will be. I was very sorry to hear about Ms. Chang's recent death. Fortunately, she has left behind some great work to help us understand the Chinese-American experience.
on August 10, 2013
The book was like new and was the least expensive of the used books. I read her other book, "The rape of Nanking" and this book was as good if not better. I also saw her on You tube where she gave a speech. I'm only sad to say that she is no longer around at the peak of her career