Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 69 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 106 reviews
on April 15, 2015
What a gigantic disappointment this was!

I have loved the Mysteries of Harris Burdick by Chris Van Allsburg for years. (Reading that book is a prerequisite for reading this one.) It's a book I have used in lessons, a book I have written about, a book that makes one dream and wonder. I was hopeful that those pictures in the hands of such amazing authors would be a great read.

Not so. Actually, the stories my middle school children have written about the Harris Burdick pictures were better than the ones in this collection. I wanted them to be as fantastical as the illustrations they explained. Alas, they were, without fail, just really mediocre. The authors who wrote them are amazing, but the stories they wrote aren't anything too spectacular. The best ones would have to be Stephen King's and Lois Lowry's contributions (of course). I wish I'd stopped with the original book and let my imagination soar. Now, those illustrations are a bit spoiled for me by these stories that aren't nearly as great as what they attempted to describe. This is not a terrible book, despite my harsh words; rather, it's just okay. And, I expected so, so much more
on December 26, 2015
I really enjoy "The Mysteries of Harris Burdick" but am torn as to whether the Chronicles is for children. Some of the stories are rather frightening for the younger set! I wanted to use them in 6th grade but am rethinking. The idea was good- authors imagining stories from the pictures- but the content may be too far out.
on September 14, 2012
Some good, some ordinary, few as good as the illustrations!

Ok ... there were good ones ... ok, there were even lots of good ones ... They ranged from readable to enjoyable. There were creepy ones, sci-fi ones, sweet ones.

But ultimately for me it was like putting a bird in a cage. Like putting a limit on your dreams. Like watching TV rather than read a book.

I find the intro and pictures in The Mysteries of Harris Burdick so vivid that they enthral your imagination. I have used it often in the classroom and each time I would take it out something new, different, wild or whimsical would come to mind. The "Mysteries" tantalises where the "Chronicles" serves it on a plate.

Is there a place for it? Yes ... i can see that it is a good way to introduce children to a range of genre. Give them an idea and let them better it.
on September 13, 2013
The fascination of the original book was filling your imagination with the possibilities as to the tales that would unfold with each illustration. A bunch of people who wrote stuff got together and wrote their interpretations of each story, and man...let me tell you, they're WAYYYYY off from my interpretations and visions as a child. There aren't enough decapitations, exploding nuns, face-eating jack-o lanterns, and Hitler impersonators to fancy my tickle. So if you're my age (79) and grew up with these illustrations, you'll be gravely disappointed that these stories lack these things.
on January 10, 2017
Noted authors give their spiel on the illustrations. Just wonderful.
on August 18, 2015
While Chris Van Allsburg's illustrations were beautiful and mysterious, the stories written by famous authors to go along with them were not able to live up to my own personal hype. They aren't bad, but they aren't amazing either. I kind of feel like Chris Van Allsburg's single mysterious lines to describe each picture were better than the stories themselves because they left more to our imagination.
on May 21, 2016
This is one of my favorite books. I share the pictures with my creative writing students. They first write a story of their own, then I read then story from the book. You can also purchase the book with just the pictures. I like to have both, however everything in the other book is contained in this book.
on June 8, 2016
Really love the mystery of the pictures. Haven't read all of the stories yet but kind of don't want to ruin my own imagination on what could be going on in the pictures. Plan to spark some interest with my students.
on July 6, 2015
I have myself written to all 14 of the Burdick pictures/prompts, and enjoyed seeing how others were inspired, in most cases vastly differently from what I saw -- exactly what Van Allsberg had intended in the first place.
on December 13, 2014
If you like literature...you'll love this book. My pre-teen loves it and my mother loves it. It's exactly as it's stated. "Fourteen Amazing Authors..." relay 14 amazing interpretations of a picture with one line written. Creative on many levels.