Industrial Deals HPC Trade in your textbooks Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ed Sheeran Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 6, 2017
The whole series, starting with this book, is a wonderful read. This book stands alone, but to really get the story, read all 3 books.
on June 12, 2017
I love the way life in Ember is shown through the experience of two children who gradually come to see the problems of their city.
on August 7, 2014
I was curious to know what books my daughter enjoyed reading. She told me that this was one her favorite books. I decided to give it a read. Just a quarter of the way through the book, I began hoping that my daughter would read this book again when she's adult. About half-way through, I couldn't put it down. It contains several metaphors and life-lessons. DuPrau is marvelous at showing how the decisions we make, even the seemingly small ones, affect whether we become either more selfish or more selfless in the future. Also, as a guy who likes technical puzzles, this story contains several nice ones. When she wakes up, I'm going to give my daughter a big hug and kiss both for suggesting this book to me and for the fact that she appreciates a book like this!
on August 26, 2014
I found this book quite entertaining. My daughter was assigned it as summer reading, so I thought I'd give it a read myself. The characters and story line were interesting and it became a page-turner for quite a bit of the second half of the book. I almost missed my subway stop as I was getting to the end. It's an easy read for an adult, but well suited for a sixth-grader. When I suggested that this series be turned into a movie, I was informed by my children that it already had been. I might check it out. I think I might even read the next books in the series.
on June 23, 2016
Pretty good storyline, although fairly predictable. Intriguing fast paced story, but really not for those who don't enjoy a quick and simple read.

Pros:
Good storyline
Characters were well-developed
Fast-paced

Cons:
Predictable
Not much emotional tension

Other thoughts:
I would recommend this book to a younger audience. Maybe 15 and under. It is not a deep mystery book, and I feel as though sometimes it tries to be a little too hard. This book is a easy read, and will capture your attention if you enjoy most adventure stories.

Don't be discouraged by this review. I give it 4 stars! I would recommend it to most readers. Overall, it was worth my 2$, even though I won't buy the sequel.
on January 12, 2017
This book is an original and is a wonderful read if you especially like dystopian novels. This book is one of my personal favorites and I have read it several times. In the book you meet a girl named Lina and a boy named Doon. There quest is to try to uncover the secrets of ember with partially eaten instructions. Yes eaten. In conclusion if you like fiction and adventure then Ember is the book for you.
on August 16, 2017
The ending was a little random but overall it's a good east book to read and finish it was very intriguing I want the rest of the series!
on April 13, 2015
Have you read The Giver by Lois Lowry? Well apparently so did this author. So much of the information was "borrowed". In sum, it is half as good as The Giver and twice as badly written ( this is a twist on words for those who don't get it). I would not be running to the store to read this series. I guess that excellent literature can generate an avalanche of secondary nonsense much like movies. Even the kids in our book group didn't approve. No one finished the book. Some of the comments were, "the book was really boring" and "I didn't care that much what happened" Overall a C-.
on April 10, 2013
I read this book as my 9 year old granddaughter's book buddy, for one of her home school assignments. The visiting teacher emailed us the teaching instructions written to accompany the book.
We read together and apart, and did the accompanying study questions, vocabulary sheets, and optional writing assignments and other suggested activities. We really connected with the characters and the plot, sharing ideas about what might happen next. The action was compelling and very well suited for fifth grade reading level. Never did my granddaughter complain of being talked down to.
After we completed our reading and the activity sheets had been turned in,we viewed the DVD of the book. It was fun to compare the story lines. Then we immediately started the next book of the series, The People of Sparks. We couldn't wait, and in five days we completed it. I've purchased two copies of Book 3, The Prophet of Yonwood.
on January 24, 2016
My 9 year old does not like to read. However he Loved this book so I bought the whole series to encourage him to read instead of play video games. I am very happy I purchased this book series.