BCA Month Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 24, 2016
I'd actually forgotten that I'd read this one before until I read it again today and remembered different scenes from the book and remembered my anger the first time I read the novel which was why I still haven't read the third book, though I'm planning to today or tomorrow now that I've come back to the series. I've always been very team Will in this series so when everything went so wrong between them in the last book and she seems to move on to Jem in this book I was so angry.

Reading the book a second time I can really feel for Tessa as she's torn between the two characters loving them both for their likeness to each other and their vast differences. Yeah their love story is a little different and at times she might come across as a little wishy washy as she goes back and forth between WIll and Jem, but it is actually really clear that she does love both of them, immensely. I loved getting to know Sophie better and the insights into Charlotte and Henry. I especially loved the scenes with Magnus Bane and Wolsey Scott. These two characters as just a delight to encounter.

So while I might not have given it as a high of a rating had I taken the time to review it the first time I read it, I definitely think it deserves a four star rating now. It's an excellent book filled with all the elements present in Clockwork Angel and an Amazing read.
on October 3, 2016
Tessa has no place to call home anymore because her family members are either dead or working for Mortmain, the man who claims he made her and wants to use her for her magical abilities.
But fortunately the Shadowhunters who run the London Institute, that are also her newfound friends, aren’t willing to throw her on the street. So even though her life has been turned upside down Tessa at least has a place to stay for now.
But even that is compromised when Benedict Lightwood tries to claim the Institute for himself.
Now Tessa and her friends must find Mortmain who has disappeared from the face of the earth. They only get two weeks to accomplish this task or they will lose the Institute.
And while they look Mortmain gets more time to work on his plan to destroy the Shadowhunters.

I really liked this book. We get to know more about the characters and few mysteries from book one are solved. The plot continues to thicken but I would have liked some more action. I am excited to read the last book and find out how this will end.
on February 27, 2013
Although I read from several genres (classics, bestselling fiction, mystery, romance, etc.), my favorite genre is typically adult fantasy, usually of the vampire or witch/warlock variety, time-shifters, etc. (one of my favorite writers in this genre is Karen Chance, love her writing style, but also like Kim Harrison and several others). However, having tried and also loved the young adult series of Harry Potter, Hunger Games books, the Rick Riordan demi-gods series Percy Jackson, etc., I thought what the heck, I'd try at least the 1st Mortal Instruments. I had read that one of the books was going to be made into a movie. Once I read somewhat into the 1st book, I was completely and totally hooked, and pretty much devoured the series, and soon moved on to the Infernal Devices trilogy. I did not want to put any of the books from the 2 series down. I enjoyed the Mortal Instruments series, but I have to say my favorite series of the 2 has been the Infernal Devices. What a great bunch of characters, with adventure and a fabulous romance too. There is more action in the Mortal Instruments series, although there is still "some" action in Infernal Devices, as well. I liked the characters of Jace and Simon in Mortal Instruments (Simon not until about the 3rd book of Mortal Instruments when so many changes are taking place), but my favorite character considering both series is Will Herondale (Infernal Devices). (**Spoiler Alert): My favorite line in the book (Clockwork Prince) is when Will says "I have wanted to do this every moment of every hour of every day that I have been with you since the day I met you," sigh......melt, melt. I also loved that the eccentric Magnus also appeared in this trilogy. I did not think Clary (Mortal Instruments) was nearly as likeable a character as Tess (Infernal Devices), but for the most part, I really liked the mix of characters in Mortal Instruments, and also many of the main characters in Infernal Devices. When I shared some information about the books to my co-workers, they started reading them too, and also LOVE them!!! I was sad to say goodbye, even if only temporarily, when I finished what is currently available in both series. Now I just have to wait for the 3rd book in the Infernal Devices trilogy to come out soon, (as well as the next Mortal Instruments book), and of course the 1st Movie (which I hope follows the book). Well done Ms. Clare!
on May 31, 2014
So, I have read this book so many times, I have entire passages memorized. I read the Clockwork series before the Mortal Instruments and it really helped with the development of many of the characters you find in the Mortal Instruments. So, if you are going to read the Clockwork Series and the Mortal Instruments, start with the Clockwork series because many of the characters are in the Mortal Instruments.

I love the story of Will, Jem and Tessa. I love the way they end up. Overall, I just love these books. I have been on the edge of my seat, laughed, cried and been inspired. It is truly a wonderful set of books and I never get tired of reading them.

I even purchased the audiobooks and have listening to them numerous times. Of all the books I own, This series are my absolute favorite. When I can't figure out what to read, I read about Will, Jem and Tessa. I have even purchased the graphic novels.
on May 26, 2012
Tessa has found a new home in the Institute and a new family in the Shadowhunters. All of that is threatened when an ultimatum is given to Charlotte to find Mortmain or lose her position as the head of the Institute. Tessa, more than anyone, wants to find Mortmain as he might hold the answers to what she is. It'll be up to everyone to pitch in and help if they want to keep their odd family together. But Will keeps disappearing to God knows where, and Jessamine is sneaking around meeting Lord knows who, and Tessa and Jem are growing closer with each day! Tessa will feel her heart tearing in two as these two very handsome young men--unknown to each other--fight for her attention.

In my review of Clockwork Angel I said something along the lines of this series being more subdued than The Mortal Instruments. But with exciting events in every chapter, plenty of nasty secrets and betrayal, and romance and passion that will leave your heart racing, Clockwork Prince gives the other series a run for its money.

The story can be divided in three sub plots: 1) Will's quest to get rid of his curse, 2) Finding Mortmain, and 3) Tessa and Jem. The first one is quite exciting. We get to know more about Will, and through him we get more Magnus Bane time. Will goes to warlock for help with his curse. first Will doesn't tell Magnus the details of what happened, so the warlock has a hard time finding the right demon. Eventually Will explains the events that led to the curse. I was kind of disappointed since I saw the flaw in it immediately. (view spoiler) Sigh. The second plot has a lot of twists and turns that I won't spoil. All I'll say is that everything is linked in the end.

The third plot was kind of hard for me. Is not that I don't like Jem, I do. That boy is like impossible to dislike. But I'm already rooting for Will to win Tessa over, so it was hard to see Jem and Tessa falling for each other. Steamy scenes abound so I won't complain too much, but I will say that Tessa needs to make up her damn mind! The ending chapters were SO hard to read. They tore my heart apart. I just wanted to hug Will and tell him it'll be alright because this is a trilogy and there's still one book left to make things right. A book that it's like a zillion years away!
on May 19, 2014
I loved this entire trilogy. As for this particular book, I loved that we got to see more of Jem. He is such a compassionate and lovable character. This book marks the start of a beautiful love triangle like I've rarely read before. Loved it!!!

This is book 2 in "The Infernal Devices" trilogy. Set in the same world of Shadowhunters as "The Mortal Instruments" (TMI), this trilogy happens a couple hundreds of years before Jace and Clary's story. This is a prequel of sorts to TMI but you can read either series separately and in whatever order you choose. Cassandra Clare is on my top 10 favourite author list. I love her style of writing.

Safe for teens, it is a young adult paranormal (vampires, werewolves, demons, warlocks, faeries, etc.) and historical (set in London, 1878) series bordering on Steampunk at times with automatons.
on February 2, 2012
Move over Katniss Everdeen and Clarissa Fray! There is a new Bitchin' Bad-ass Heroine in town! I loved the newest installment in what my friends and I are calling the best thing that happened to Cassandra Clare. I knew she could write amazing stories, but this surpassed all of my expectations. Tessa is not only intelligent, she is funny and caring and, most of all, lovable. There are two most love-stricken Shadowhunters that can attest to that. When I read that Clare was giving us a Dirty Sexy Balcony Scene AND a Dirty Sexy Bed Scene, I almost fainted (with happiness, of course). While other authors manage to grit there teeth and write out a "sex" scene my GRANDMOTHER would find boring, Clare seems to embrace her sensuality. Can I just say, about the DSBS, that Will seems to be a most passionate kisser. I mean, he really uses his whole body to kiss her, doesn't he? And the DSBedS? My friend actually noticed that I was reading something so steamy, I turned so red! While I do have a preference *cough*Jem*cough*, I won't ruin this review by listing all the reasons why my OTP should be together. I will save that for Tumblr *wink*. I want this to be Switzerland. Both are charming, lovely (and passionate!) men. I think Tessa would be lucky to end up with either of them. When I learned Will "Big Secret" my heart near about tore in half. I couldn't imagine living all that time thinking it was your fault your sister was dead, and distancing yourself from everyone around you, especially those closest. I was ecstatic when the demon told Will the truth. After self-destructive behavior the whole book *ahem*the opium den*ahem*, it was nice to finally see the real Will.

"Demon pox, oh, demon pox,
Just how is it acquired?
One must go down to the bad part of town
Until one is very tired.
Demon pox, oh, demon pox
I had it all along--
No, not the pox, you foolish blocks,
I mean this very song--
For I was right, and you were wrong!"

My favorite part of the whole book, hands down ^^^. Overall, this is probably the best book Clare has written. Although, I will probably say the same thing about CP2.
on November 14, 2013
Okay, get your tissues ready. I think this series is far superior to the Mortal Instruments so take what you will from that. This has a historical setting so the romance though every bit as passionate is made so much sweeter because Will and Jem have to be gentlemen. A touch on the bare skin of a wrist means so much more. The machines that the Shadowhunters have to fight are impossible to defeat. Automatons, armies of them. There are so many secrets and mysteries. And Magnus Bane. I don't think I've ever met a character like him.

Again, I listened to the Audible version of this before I purchased the book, I highly recommend the Audible version. But reading it is just as good. I much prefer this series to the Mortal Instruments. To me it's just smarter, the romance so much better, the foe so much fiercer, the mystery so much more perplexing and the characters so much more likable.
on March 20, 2017
What a great sequel to Clockwork Angel. The characters are even more developed and again Tessa and Will's word play about books is so fun. I also really enjoy Clare's beginning each chapter with lines from poetry, plays or books. Love it! There are sections of this book that I have bookmarked to reread. I read this book in one day I loved reading so much! Great story, great setting, great time period, great characters! I wish there were 6 books in this series instead just 3!!!!
on June 1, 2013
As this is not my usual genre, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this series. Setting the action in an "old world" era helped it work for me. The characters were well developed and much happened I didn't expect, though this may be partly because this is not the type of book I usually read. I actually picked the book because of the time frame, as I thoroughly enjoy historical fiction, then found myself completely surprised to find myself reading science fiction and enjoying it. The youth of the characters took some getting used to, as it left me feeling the series was meant for the early teen reader, rather than an "elderly" reader, but the youthful passions were well done and did not leave me feeling I was living in a long-outgrown fantasy of teenage passion. I also appreciated that passion was so well expressed without having to resort to descriptions of sexual activity. I also loved the twists and turns in the story line, the melding of magic and reality.