Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Collection: A Registry Novel
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 10, 2014
Mia and her friend flee to Mexico for freedom, but before the first chapter ends, Andrew and Carter are apprehended by the local authorities and Mia is on her own. In the first book, Andrew and Carter help Mia escape, and this time they need her help. The adventure that unfolds is fast paced, thrilling and unpredictable. As a new blogger, I still struggle with writing a spoiler-free review. Explaining what I like about a book without saying what happens in the book is a challenge. What I can say is that I found the story to be original, well written and very fun to read.

The Collection has action, drama, romance, suspense and authentic characters living in a dystopian world. The villain, Grant Marsden, is extremely complex and entertaining and Mia, Andrew and Carter grow as they realize the status quo is corrupt and risk it all for a better life. They have genuine fears, needs and doubts while discovering inner strengths, loyalties and desires. This book was very much like an action movie; fast paced, unpredictable and exciting.

There is wonderful social commentary on government, oppression, perfection and how the grass is always greener, no matter the environment. I have read a few “women are commodities in the future” books (Wither is another good one). Critics doubt that strong independent women in this modern age could become submissive property in a future world. I am of the belief that if society hit a “reset button,” anything is possible, even if its not probable. I enjoy a good story; A Handmaiden’s Tale, The Hunger Games, Maze Runner and (especially) Brave New World are excellent examples of a future world that is equal parts far-fetched and plausible.

I very much look forward to the final installment of this trilogy. If you have not read The Registry, you should do that before you read The Collection (you can enter to win a paperback copy on this blog!)

I received a Galley copy of The Collection from the Publisher in exchange for this honest review.
on September 10, 2014
Review:

A. Main Characters:

Mia: I still don't like her, but she improved in the book as a character. She still ask a lot of stupid questions that must people can answer themselves as times goes on. I just find her boring sometimes.

Andrew: His character goes though a lot in this book. His character already had stuff happen to him in the first book now this mess that he went through. He is a really strong character.

Carter: I like Carter in the first book, but now i don't like him anymore. You will find out why when get toward the end. I began to sense something is off about him. Even Andrew doesn't want him around anymore.

Grant: My favorite Villain is back! I get some back story about Grant which I really liked a lot. We need that in this book and also the first book. It work for this book though. Grant is so crazy inventive and smart.

B. Overall: To begin, I like the book. We are introduce to a lot of new characters. We are getting close to know why the registry exist and we are getting new information about other countries. I can't wait until we find out! I did find the story to be boring at times. The book had a weird slow/fast pace about it. I gave it 4 stars because I love/ hate relationship. Overall, the general feel was suspense.

C. Question:

- Will I recommend this book? Yes, if only you have read the first book.

- Did i review book 1? Yes. Check Series at the top for a link.

- Will I read book 3? It is a big possibly.
on March 6, 2014
The Registry is the second book in Shannon Stoker's Collection trilogy. I read the first book and really enjoyed it,and was looking forward to reading this book. For me, the second book did not disappoint.

Warning: Spoilers may follow.

The book follows Mia, Andrew, and Carter after their escape from America into Mexico. Almost immediately Andrew and Carter are captured by the local militia, while Mia hides and is eventually rescued by Riley, a government agent for Ireland. I really liked Riley. She was fun! While Andrew and Carter are being brainwashed by the militia, Riley begins to train Mia to be able to overtake the militia and get the boys back. Riley offers to help Mia because they have a common goal. Riley has reason to believe that her husband Nathan is also being held by the militia. I won't get into all the details, but Mia is able to save Andrew and Carter and they are once again on the run. They are on the way to Guatemala to an American refugee safe haven. Once they reach this safe haven, known as Affinity, they learn the true nature of this safe haven. They are a group of rebels working to take down the Registry.

We get to meet a lot of new characters in this book. There's Sarah, also known as S. She was the person who initially reached out to Mia over the internet and told her how to find her way to Affinity. There is Zack, the new leader of Affinity. I am unsure on how I feel about him. I didn't like or dislike him. Then there is Rex. I really don't trust him, but there is a third book. Maybe he can change.

I am really looking forward to the third book. There are a lot of unanswered questions.

Will Carter betray Mia? Has Rex truly changed? Will the Registry be brought down? Will Riley find Nathan? (I hope so! I love happy cheesy endings.)

Even though some parts of the book were a little far fetched, I really enjoyed the book. I loved the concept and it was very well written. Very enjoyable read.
on June 21, 2014
Being a huge dystopian fiction fan, I would definitely recommend this series thus far. I read the first book in a day and this second installment the following day.....only to find out there is no third book written yet....that is a reason I lowered my star review.....if you are going to write a series then publish it within a close timeframe or it is likely to be iverlooked when it finally comes out. I enjkyed this author's style, keeping the story moving along and interesting, only to find out I won't find out what's going to happen for several months! This is so worth reading, too. If I read the first two in two days, that says a lot for the writing. Hopefully book III in this series will get published soon or I will lose interest.
on May 1, 2014
I love the Mia has become a stronger woman, even though I think she could be much more. I didn't like how naive she is but that is to be expected considering how she was raised. I love how her character evolved, almost like a butterfly. She still has a lot to learn and hope that with the next book that there is a happy ending with her. I want to see her stay with Andrew and hope Carter is better than this book showed him to be. Love strong female main characters.
on November 4, 2014
“The Collection” picks up immediately from where “The Registry” ended, with Mia in the company of Riley and Andrew and Carter being held captive. Riley is my favorite character in the series up to this point, and I hope we get to see more.

My feelings on “The Collection” are very mixed. The plot is very imaginative, and it brings up many talking points, including women’s rights, war, etc. It is clean enough for middle readers without being too juvenile for the older young adult crowd. Those points alone are worth the given three stars.

Unfortunately, character development is sparse, and the writing contains way too many “he said, she said, they saids”. I feel like if “said” were to be removed entirely, being replaced with more descriptive words, it would have been a much more pleasant read. It would have been wonderful to know more about the internal conflicts faced by each character. Instead, it is left somewhat dry and unexplored.

All said, I am still going to give the third installment of the series a read, because the plot has me hooked enough to want to know how it ends.
on March 22, 2014
Mia has escaped the Registry and America but she hasn't escaped the danger. Her friends Andrew and Carter make it to Mexico but they boys are taken by a violent militia The Collection and Mia is the only one who can save them. Andrew and Carter are tortured and brain washed to forget what they know and to become killers. Mia will have to face not only danger from the Collection but the henchman her ex fiance has sent after her. She also has to help the boys gain back heir loss memories. The journey just may take her right back to where she has run from the auction block and America.

I liked the first book in this series but I believe I liked this one better. Mia in the first was spoiled, seemed weak and even while she put a brave front up at times she would just grate on your nerves. In this book she grows up so much. She has the chance to be safe but she refuses to do that in order to save the ones she cares about. She shows such an improvenment in her attitude you can't help but like her in this one. All places seem to have some kind of danger in this series. In Mexico it is from militia and in America it is a danger really to be a woman. You have to do what men say and go to the highest bidder. I hated Grant in the first book but I will say a few times I actually felt sorry for him in this one. You get to see what shaped him into who he is today. However you also still see the ruthless side of him in this one and everything he will do to get what he wants. This book has more adventures, action and danger and is a great sequel. I look forward to seeing the end of Mia's journey and what all she will change because I believe she is possible now of doing many things.
on February 22, 2014
The Collection
Shannon Stoker
Morrow, Feb 4 2014, $14.99
ISBN: 9780062271747

In the United States, heeding the warning from her older sister, eighteen year old Mia fled from her vile mate Grant who won the legal bidding to marry her on the Registry auction block. Pursued by Grant's kill first dangerous henchmen, Mia, accompanied by Andrew and Carter, made it to Mexico; haven to runaway brides from America; but dangerous to US Army deserters like her two male companions.

When the abusive Collection captures her two protectors, Mia becomes fearful for their lives and willing to return to Grant to save them. Before she can sacrifice herself, Mia meets Riley who introduces her to a growing underground movement to return basic human rights to women. However, Grant's bounty hunters still stalk her as no one lives very long when they make him look foolish and her friends remain subject to torment, deportation and ultimately much worse.

The second Registry dystopian thriller is an exciting tale that continues to extrapolate the present war on women into a total gender surrender scenario. Although readers will anticipate behavior by the key male players, Riley brings freshness while Mia has come a long way from her opening act as she embraces "Freedom changes everything"; but knows her journey remains dangerous since her personal psychopath continues the hunt. Action-packed with a rotating perspective, The Collection is an entertaining middle saga.

Harriet Klausner
1111 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2014
*might contain slight spoilers*

I didn't find THE COLLECTION as exciting as THE REGISTRY but it was still enjoyable. The first half of the book revolves around Mia trying to get her friends back from those who took them. We meet a new character and she teaches Mia a lot in the short time they are together, I hope we see her in book 3. The second half of the book has Mia, Andrew, and Carter among new allies as they learn what they are all about and decide if they want to fight with them.

I was a bit disappointed in Carter. It made me sad to watch him and know what he is going to do in the long run while others risk their lives for him. The relationship between Mia and Andrew grows and I was happy to see that. Book 3 is going to be a crap storm, I can't believe where they will be off to or the events that might take place but I know it will be full of suspense and action. I am not sure when it will be out but it will be on my wishlist.

* This book was provided free of charge from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
on September 24, 2014
The Collection picks up where the Registry left off...literally. The trio of unlikely allies/friends are prepping to jump from the stolen helicopter before it crashes into the ocean off the coast of Mexico, and Mia realizes she doesn't know how to swim.

The group quickly becomes separated with the boys forced into a militia which uses various chemicals and torture techniques to brainwash individuals and turn them into malleable soldiers for their cause. Finding herself alone in Mexico, Mia is rescued by an Irish intelligence operative, who becomes determined to help train Mia and assist her with planning an operation to rescue the boys.

Eventually Mia and the boys, along with an unlikely fourth member, reach Affinity, the group that Mia first learned about after connecting with "S" on the internet. Affinity is an organization that is devoted to the destruction of the Registry and elimination of the mandatory enlistment rules that have been forced upon American citizens for several decades now. It is here that Mia must face one of the toughest questions of her life, and one that every one of us would do well to consider regularly, "What is better, living a life aiding a noble cause or living a life fighting for the noble cause?".

I didn't enjoy this book to the level I did the first, but it is still worthy of the fourth star. There is continued character development, and the stage is really set for what should be a huge showdown. In addition to following Mia, Andrew, and Carter through their journey in Mexico and Guatemala, we also get continued insight into Grant, both his history and his current state of being groomed to be the next Grand Commander of America. Grant has plans of his own to finish off Mia and her insignificant rebellion which seems to be a single focus behind his every breath.

The best news of all is that the third book, The Alliance, was released last week, so I don't have to wait and wait to get more of the story. As I mentioned in my review of The Registry, this isn't a genre I regularly read, but this series has been well written, and the storylines are both thought provoking and compelling. Personally, I would love to see this adapted to the big screen, as long as Shannon Stoker was allowed to be part of the process so the story wouldn't be butchered and changed.

Another thumbs up to Shannon for a good read, and a series that I will be apt to pull out periodically to re-read and enjoy all over again.