Hill Climb Racing 2 Vehicles Review HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

Coming Jobs War
Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 91 reviews(5 star). See all 139 reviews
VINE VOICEon November 6, 2016
Excellent! You have to read this! Great book. Goes far beyond polls and statistics and really gets to the heart of our nation's needs in the years ahead--for education, business, and governance. Top rate!
on December 8, 2013
I read many online reviews before downloading this book. Both sides of the political spectrum seemed to hate it, arguing that it is over simplistic and just plain wrong-headed or biased. Frankly, that's exactly why I found myself curled up non-stop reading the entire book in one sitting. It is NOT politically correct, sure. But Clifton's observations merit serious consideration. To anger the right wing, he argues that with GDP driving jobs, and with "good" jobs driving the economy, significant cuts in the federal budget will be counterproductive, both in the short and longer term. A smaller government cuts off vital support to the many services and supports that a growing economy needs (pre-K through higher education, basic scientific research, safe streets, etc.). To aggravate the left wing, he makes a good case that "taxing the rich" simply cannot generate enough revenue to even come close to making up for fiscal shortfalls, so entitlement programs must inevitably be dialed down. Then, his take on healthcare will offend just about anyone who is not at an ideal body weight, doesn't exercise, eschews preventive medical exams, and wants to claw out every last day of life in an expensive terminal illness. Well, as a medical industry executive for the past 30 years, my first reaction was to challenge his claim that healthcare costs are nothing but a drag on jobs growth (after all, what's wrong with an industry that employs 1/5 of all American workers . . . many in what he defines as "good" jobs . . . in every single town and city in the country, improves health, and for the most part cannot be outsourced to China). Yet, in the end, I'm forced to agree with his points, even on healthcare. None of what I said in the parenthetical above mitigates the fact that taxpayers can no longer afford to shoulder the costs of replacing the knees and hips of 90 year olds, and obesity absolutely IS the number one health problem in our country, which needs immediate and aggressive intervention. Please read the book . . . but first put down your political biases , , , and just think about the significant likelihood that Mr. Clifton is doing something that our politicians simply cannot afford to do in the current electoral environment . . . he's telling it like it really is, whether any of us like it or not!
Jim Clifton's book is the clearest call for helping the community based business entrepreneur that I have ever read. His book is loaded with the fact that we must have a USA GDP of 5% on an annual basis or lose our standard of living and world status. He makes the point that there are many entrepreneurs but very few enterprisers and the enterprisers are the folks who make or break a product. If you are a PH.D and think you have the world's next invention, you had better team up with a real enterpriser otherwise your great invention will be dust with many of the other great inventions. This is a MUST read book
on July 24, 2016
Jim Clifton makes a strong case for focusing on creating good jobs, mentoring students, making obesity as negative as tobacco, and purposely allowing highly talented foreigners to immigrate easily. All local politicians should read and reread this book. Local changes will win the job war. Our national government cannot do it for us.
on September 10, 2012
The Coming Jobs War is a terrific one-day read. While it's relatively light on data and analysis, the author builds a case in a conversational style. Because the author is the CEO of Gallup, the summarized and light data have some credibility. The book does include references.

What I particularly like is that the foundation of the author's discussion begins with GDP and makes a case for small business and much that surrounds it --- customer engagement, entrepreneurship, etc. While it's not comprehensive, I find the book useful for framing and ordering key problems that need to be addressed by the US. Some of the material, e.g. Chapter 7 - Innovation vs. Entrepreneurship is spot on. --- Recommended.
on April 15, 2017
Jim Clifton knows his stuff.
on September 19, 2016
We need to move beyond federal politicians self-serving fecklessness otherwise nothing will ever get better. The state and federal governments cannot and will not take care of you. Get a good job or make one for yourself.
on June 21, 2014
Excellent book. It truly gave me the insight that I have been missing and unable to identify. I can attest that I have experienced the same feeling of being disengaged because of my particular company's interpretation of what it expects from its employees. The well being of it's employees was put on the back burner to achieving the bottom line. Addressing disengagement wholeheartedly should be the focus of every company.
on November 10, 2017
America must be very direct with itself if we expect our way of life to continue. JIM Clifton lays out clear steps of what must be done and the results if we fail.
on December 26, 2014
Surprised me as to how well it was written and what I took from it. Normal these style books are more propaganda than hard fact. Ideas presented in the book are not new to me but this book did make me rethink some of my stances because of how well documented with facts the authors views are supported.