BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 1, 2013
Firstly, I frame my review with the fact that I had been assigned to read this book, rather than seeking it out on my own.

While I support the thinking contained within the book, the data used is really slim for the inferences made. There's things that need to be said contained within the book, but it would be nice to see some corroborating evidence besides the single source used in the book. As someone who works for a polling firm (Gallup), the author should know that supporting data is needed to smooth out biases found in only one opinion collection - no matter how good the collecting company feels it is.

Secondly, the book seems to ramble a bit in terms of subject matter and could use a firmer hand in editing. Had Clifton had a better editor, he could have easily had two books rather than one. It would have made him more money while being more focused at the same time.

If you're fine with Gladwell-esque qualitative texts, then this one is for you. If you're looking for greater depth....
on September 7, 2017
I bought it on audible, but found the information so richly dense that the spoken word wasn't enough. I bought the hard cover as well, so I could see some of the statistics and other facts as opposed to trying to remember what I had heard. An overwhelmingly important book.
on December 16, 2012
The book is a timely and significant contribution to help us understand that `not having a good job' (one where they have 30+ hours of work per week on a steady basis) is the root cause of many of the world's problems. Don Clifton, CEO of Gallup Inc., has tapped into extensive studies provided by his organization to suggest that we should avoid answers in Washington and take more control of our actions at the local level where leaders know the people to talk to, know the levers to pull, and get things done through large networks and access to other talented people.

The author describes the current state in easy to understand ways. While he creates a sense of urgency about the need to create jobs, he doesn't leave us looking for solutions and offers clear cut strategies that provide options for actions that we can take.

When I finished reading the book I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed because it came to an end. His ideas are powerful and make such good sense! I can't wait for the sequel!
VINE VOICEon November 6, 2016
Excellent! You have to read this! Great book. Goes far beyond polls and statistics and really gets to the heart of our nation's needs in the years ahead--for education, business, and governance. Top rate!
on May 3, 2013
The problem is that globalization and technology continue to diminish the need for labor while increasing efficiencies and economies of scale. As such, expanding the world population only makes it more difficult to produce sufficient jobs let alone good jobs for an ever - growing workforce.

Warren Buffett expressed concern about opportunities for upcoming generations due to the current (advanced) state of development. He referred to it as "late-stage capitalism".. a term I had not heard before. Which makes me wonder if there really is a solution to this critical problem.

Jeremy Rifkin's book The End of Work provided two basic 'solutions' (with inherent problems of their own) to this situation. In simplest terms we need to decrease the number of hours in a standard work-week (down to 30 by 2020.. and down to 20 by 2040) while also switching to an entertainment-based economy. Without that (his 1990s opinion) we will have massive unemployment.

Personally I'm not sure that any viable solution can mitigate the impact of population growth, globalization, and technological advancement particularly as it pertains to the jobs question.

I hope that I'm wrong.
VINE VOICEon September 27, 2013
As far as I'm concerned Clifton has the background and data to back up any generalizations that he makes in "The Coming Jobs War." As the Chairman and CEO of Gallup he is at the forefront of research and data analysis. It's not as if he gets a pass or "blank check" because of his position, nor do I agree with every method Gallup employs.

The simple fact that he has used this book to condense years of data in a consumer based, plain language manner as a conversation starter. This is not meat to be a didactic manual on the cure for all that threatens our jobs or the imminent societal collapse.This is meant to give us a way to frame the past with what we currently face; more intelligent, motivated and massive competition than we, as a culture, have ever faced before.

I think this is important to understand for the voting, informed public. Well worth reading.
on December 8, 2013
I read many online reviews before downloading this book. Both sides of the political spectrum seemed to hate it, arguing that it is over simplistic and just plain wrong-headed or biased. Frankly, that's exactly why I found myself curled up non-stop reading the entire book in one sitting. It is NOT politically correct, sure. But Clifton's observations merit serious consideration. To anger the right wing, he argues that with GDP driving jobs, and with "good" jobs driving the economy, significant cuts in the federal budget will be counterproductive, both in the short and longer term. A smaller government cuts off vital support to the many services and supports that a growing economy needs (pre-K through higher education, basic scientific research, safe streets, etc.). To aggravate the left wing, he makes a good case that "taxing the rich" simply cannot generate enough revenue to even come close to making up for fiscal shortfalls, so entitlement programs must inevitably be dialed down. Then, his take on healthcare will offend just about anyone who is not at an ideal body weight, doesn't exercise, eschews preventive medical exams, and wants to claw out every last day of life in an expensive terminal illness. Well, as a medical industry executive for the past 30 years, my first reaction was to challenge his claim that healthcare costs are nothing but a drag on jobs growth (after all, what's wrong with an industry that employs 1/5 of all American workers . . . many in what he defines as "good" jobs . . . in every single town and city in the country, improves health, and for the most part cannot be outsourced to China). Yet, in the end, I'm forced to agree with his points, even on healthcare. None of what I said in the parenthetical above mitigates the fact that taxpayers can no longer afford to shoulder the costs of replacing the knees and hips of 90 year olds, and obesity absolutely IS the number one health problem in our country, which needs immediate and aggressive intervention. Please read the book . . . but first put down your political biases , , , and just think about the significant likelihood that Mr. Clifton is doing something that our politicians simply cannot afford to do in the current electoral environment . . . he's telling it like it really is, whether any of us like it or not!
on October 4, 2017
Fantastic book
on March 28, 2013
This is a great book by the Chairman and CEO of Gallup. Gallup has learned through their world wide polling that one thing we all have in common is that everyone in whole world wants a good job. And very few of us believe we have one. The book does a great job of exploring through poll data what a good job looks like. This book can be helpful to managers who want to do their part in creating these jobs and want to create a work environment that helps in this process. Much is also said about the importance of matching people up to the right jobs so that there is a proper talent/position fit. Only in this way will employees talents be truely utilized and valued, which is one key to creating good jobs.
on July 24, 2016
Jim Clifton makes a strong case for focusing on creating good jobs, mentoring students, making obesity as negative as tobacco, and purposely allowing highly talented foreigners to immigrate easily. All local politicians should read and reread this book. Local changes will win the job war. Our national government cannot do it for us.