Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Nina Nesbitt PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 12 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 39 reviews
on March 8, 2017
This book is awesome so far! The author is well versed and quotes a lot of books that I'm now interested in. She's funny and witty without being pretentious or having an agenda.
on January 21, 2017
Fast shipping, good condition. Well written, I like Friend's writing style.
on December 6, 2012
I should say initially that I am part of the choir Friend is preaching to here. Ever since a small, sustainable farm in our area started selling a monthly meat subscription, that's been almost all the meat (and eggs) we eat. We've visited the farm, seen the happy pigs and sheep and cattle (and chickens; we've so far missed the turkeys)- in fact, the biannual open houses are titled "Meet your Meat!" The farmers also did a through photo essay of the slaughterhouse they use, and its care for the animals during slaughter.

These are free-range- meaning, LOTS of room in which to be pigs or chickens or cattle etc.- pasture-raised animals. The piglets are running around loose in the barn playing keep-away with the kids, while the moms seem to be taking a much-needed nap in their straw nests. One time we brought our elderly dog (on-leash), and she was fascinated to meet n adolescent pig roughly her own size! They flirted through the fence.

I do not feel guilt at eating these critters. They live a happier, more contented life than any wild animal anyone can name.

As far as the slaughter goes- well, death is never an attractive prospect to the one dying- unless they were so flat-out miserable before it that it'd be called torture if anyone did it intentionally. In many ways, I think a secure life and a quick and painless death is the b4est any of us can hope for at the end.

Yes, this meat is way more expensive than what's on sale at your local Wal-mart. It's worth it. I will add that since we eat less meat than most Americans, and cook almost all of it at home- our grocery bills, even with the expensive meat, are lower than average.

Friend is an engaging writer, and I've like the books of hers I've read. I think in this one she does a fine job of starting to chart a middle ground between animals as a soulless commodity for cheap, and a veganism that is very dependent on commodity farming to be accessible (albeit not animals... but where is the vegan farm to get the manure from, if not from farms raising animals- or do they use petroleum products?).

I really value the way Friend looks at context here.
on October 29, 2015
Very well written, very thoughtful, and very much the truth.
on July 10, 2013
I bought this book after reading a few basic essays about meat. This book is extremely educational regarding all aspects of meat and attempts to deliver the education without an agenda. I personally haven't had meat in a quite a while although I don't consider myself a "vegetarian" but regardless of your beliefs regarding this meat this still a fantastic book for anyone who ever has or will consume meat.
on November 12, 2013
Hope for the caring carnivore who has no interest in becoming a vegetarian. I usually don't write reviews but this book was worth the trouble..
on October 2, 2008
I have read just about everything out there on local and responsible eating, and had been a fan of Ms. Friend's ever since reading Hit By a Farm. I was thrilled to see she had a new book out, and was anxious to get my hands on it. I have since purchased a bunch of copies for friends and have discussed it with everyone from my CSA farmer to my local butcher to my vegan friends. As a former vegetarian and as a person who cares deeply about where my food comes from, I can't recommend a more articulate and well-written discussion. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to take responsibility for the food they eat.
on September 7, 2013
Really thought provoking book. Fabulous to get these insights and she really look into the issue of eating meat when you have chosen to continue to eat meat.
on October 4, 2009
Great information. Gave a copy to one of my best grass-fed beef customers by way of thanks for her repeat business and appreciative testimonials.

BB
on February 10, 2011
It seems like everyone else who gave this book a one star review didn't approve of the subject matter (which if you think about it is a pretty stupid reason to give a book a bad review). I on the other hand am a happy, guilt free meat eater who has been supporting humane farming for years, but I thought this book was a terrible waste of money. It really has almost no information in it at all. It's a piece of fluff--carelessly written in a big hurry to capitalize on the current interest in humane farming? It sure seems like it. I learned nothing and I found the author's tone preachy. She also spends a LOT of time talking about her sheep and assumes everyone reading the book has never seen a sheep before and wants to hear all about the basics of what sheep are like. She goes on and on about how wonderful their personalities are, which strikes me as odd in a book that is arguing in favor of meat eating. The book has no point to it. It is poorly written and I felt like reading it was a complete waste of my time.