Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 25 reviews
on March 5, 2013
If you haven't read Montaigne you haven't read the best. His Apology for Raymond Sebond (one of the essays) is a masterpiece of Christian skepticism (we need to engage non-believers with reason, but always recognizing that reason is mostly fallible and corrupt). Each essay (except the Apology) is readable in a single sitting. Reading this book is like cosying up with an old friend.
I was quite surprised to find this book was banned by the Catholic church (don't know if it still is). I consider it one of the finest examples of high-literary Catholic writing. For non-believers, this book was the launching point for many famous atheistic writers (e.g., Rousseau, Descartes, Azimov, Nietzsche). No wonder Montaigne was selected to mediate the protestant - Catholic disputes racking his country during his time. His writings (and thinking) appealed to all.
on November 24, 2012
Each morning I wake up at 6am, eat a bowl of oatmeal, then walk downstairs to spend some time on the elliptical machine before heading out to my sedentary desk job. I purchased a mini stereo system that plays MP3 CDs and I listen to audiobook essays while I exercise.

So far I've listened to Frame's Translation of Montaigne's Essays, Dryden Translation of Plutarch's Lives (http://www.amazon.com/Plutarchs-Lives-Vol-Part-Plutarch/dp/0786110406/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353780747&sr=1-5&keywords=Plutarchs+Lives%2C+Vol.+1), as well as various Emerson Essays (http://www.amazon.com/Essays-Ralph-Waldo-Emerson-Second/dp/1455154180/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353780876&sr=1-3&keywords=ralph+waldo+emerson)

What a truly great way to start the day. Even if the rest of the day is an utter, unbearable, drawn-out disaster it is still a day worth living because I spent an hour improving my mind and body. Montaigne, Plutarch, and Emerson are stirringly wise. In the morning their words rouse my mind and bestow pragmatic advice. Their writings are rich yet sprightly.

Next I plan to listen to Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Epictetus, and Marcus Aurelius.

I realize this review is more about me and my morning routine than Montaigne's greatness or Donald Frame's inimitable translation, but enough reviews have been written on those topics; this book is essential for living. I just want to share a fulfilling routine I have established and recommend purchasing duplicates--the book and the MP3 CDs--so that you can listen to the essays at times when it may be inconvenient to read them.
on November 16, 2009
Montaigne wrote his essays from a universal perspective. Each, therefore, communicates along a multiplicity of channels. First, of course, is the putative subject at hand: "Of the Education of Children," for example. If you want to know what Montaigne thought of this subject, read the essay. But read the essay, also, to locate your own views on ANY subject. Montaigne will open your mind to you because the freedom of his thought arouses a mirrored fluidity in your own. It transcends the subject at hand. Openness is its own, unlimited reward, bringing clarity wherever your thoughts happen to land. That is Montaigne's gift to us--the experience of his thought.
on November 24, 2010
I have read several different versions of Montaigne's essay collections, and have found this to be the best collection. Best of all, the foreign quotes are already in english -- you don't have to look for them in footnotes.
Warren
on May 20, 2014
My first thought on seeing the print: "not a pleasant font ... leading also too tight for ease of reading."

Montaigne's essays have lived for over 400 years, so his appeal can't be questioned. What makes this edition hard to deal with is the typesetting. The space between lines -- the leading -- leaves lines so scrunched together it's hard to stay focused on the ideas. For days I set the book aside, partly because I was busy, but also because I didn't want to face those scrunched lines anymore. I'm back at it, and the ideas are always stimulating, but the narrow leading is a recurring distraction.

Donald M. Frame's translation is highly acclaimed, and I've since learned also appears in Everyman's Library. A friend, who works with catalogs and design, had no problem with that typesetting. This edition also includes Montaigne’s letters and his travel journal. Had I known earlier, I'd have bought it.
on July 5, 2014
Chistopher Lane does a fantastic performance of the essays. The reading is clear and crisp. Even with my hearing impairment I have no problems understanding. The four mp3-cds run over 49 hours. I downloaded them to my Mac and in turn to my iPhone. Montaigne and Lane make a wonderful companion for my daily walks as we march together to our final goal. Montaigne and I will have done about 200 miles when we arrive at Horace's prayer for old age: "Grant me but health,.../And to enjoy the wealth I've won, /And honored age, with mind entire /And not unsolaced by the lyre."
on October 18, 2013
He gets deep as all hell at times but somehow he keeps you grounded. Brilliant author, brilliant collection. Perfect for aspiring philosophy majors!
on April 14, 2015
This translation of the Complete Essays of Montaigne (by Donald Frame) is an excellent book. There are a few problems with his Middle French to English translation but, all in all, it is not bad at all.
on March 2, 2015
Very good -- prompt, and book just as promised.