Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,323 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,437 reviews
on September 11, 2017
A fantastic read that captures you from the beginning and doesn't stop until the end. The pacing is excellent and the development of the characters helps to navigate perfectly in a well-balanced Grisham effort. Word the read.
on November 4, 2015
Grisham, in his Author's Notes, says that if you find inaccuracies, don't bother to write to him about them. I can see why. Now, I could be wrong, but an important point of the story is that Nicole's drivers license and other I.D. were found on a sand bar in the Red River, yet they end-up later having been buried with her. Huh? I enjoyed this Grisham novel as much as any before it...I kept turning (swiping) the pages constantly, even while I was getting a haircut, being irritated at every interruption that came along to tear me away. The only reason I did not rate it with five stars is because of this egregious error that had me thinking, throughout the book, that there was going to be some plot twist based on this incongruity. But that never happened.
on July 3, 2017
The Confession is another Grisham stunning and consciousness-raising great read. If there is a fault in the writing it is the constant flow of details given. And yet without these details the reader would be left with an overwhelming list of questions. For those readers who have never had a family member or friend living on death row you now get to experience the entire ordeal and pain of it all. Thank you Mr. Grisham for enlightening us. It was a rocky ride but one that we (society) desperately needed!
on November 20, 2014
Never read a Grisham before but after finishing Unbroken I wanted to read something mindless. At about 50 percent the book isn't bad but it isn't great either. I have to force myself to read it on metro even though I have nothing else to do. The story is contrived and I agree with the other posts this book has no soul - it's written like a stereotypical TV movie about Texas. That said it's not terrible I just should've started with one of his earlier books.
on March 19, 2011
I have read all of John Grisham's books. I will give many an A, some a B, and some a C! I give this one a B-. It was a little slow at times, but still interesting. However, I almost put the book down at the beginning with intentions not to finish it due to credibility issues and lack of research on one point. Mr. Grisham spoke of a young woman using her cell phone to talk to her mom six times a day and texting four times a day in 1998. If one looks back to 1998, the time period this supposedly happened, there were not many teens with cell phones let alone texting in 1998 - especially in a small town like Slone, Texas. The year 1998 was when pagers were popular with high school students - NOT cells and texts. Now, if he would have put 2004 or so, at least that would have been a little more credible. But, I did enjoy the book and would recommend it.
on December 27, 2013
Some reviewers have bashed this book because of the negative portrayal of FOX news and other media outlets. Politically, I am a dyed-in-the wool conservative, and I have long been a proponent of the death penalty. Who knew that I could question the beliefs that I have held for so long and so fervently! The negative portrayal of FOX news is called "point of view," and the purpose of a novel is not to present both sides of an issue. I have a sincere appreciation of what Grisham accomplished in this novel.

John Grisham is one of my favorite authors. I am impressed by the diversity of his works; from his legal thrillers to A Painted House to Theodore Bone to Calico Joe to The Innocent Man, he shows he is not afraid to tackle new styles and new subject matter. While I am not normally greatly affected by emotional writing, I have to admit that the tears were flowing as I read parts of the book. Not since reading John Steinbeck have I found myself rereading passages just because the writing touched me deeply. I finished reading this book over a week ago, and I still find my thoughts returning. I can't say that my viewpoint has changed regarding the death penalty, but I can say that I am re-examining beliefs that I had previously thought were unyielding.

I loved this book!
on May 28, 2016
Born & raised in Texas & a supporter of the death penalty. I cried my heart out , this book gave me opportunity to rethink things & see it from another point of view. I still support the death penalty, but there are things in the system that must be changed. A person sits way too long on death row & in cases like this the defense should have the opportunity to introduce evidence until the last minute & this is where the process breaks down. I have no solutions but there has to be a better way, they are given more opportunities. than their victims. This is a conversation that must be had folks
on January 22, 2016
I really enjoyed this book. Mr. Grisham writes a page turner and has the class to keep the language clean. During the time I was reading this book, it inspired me to research how many states still have the death penalty and I was quite surprised to learn that 31 states still have it in place. Only 19 states plus the District of Columbia have abolished the death penalty. I am opposed to the death penalty because two wrongs don't make a right and murder is still murder. Solitary confinement seems like a greater punishment to me. Also if one researches the statistics, the death penalty does not serve as any deterrent in those states.
on March 31, 2014
A blatant political attack on Capital punishment from an emotional rather than rational view point.
Drags the reader through multiple, lengthy, repetitive word drizzles [I was going to stay word storm, but too boring too qualify] of unnecessary verbiage. His treatment of the
mother of the victim was shameful at best. Should have researched the structure of the LCMS. The
church body has neither a bishop or nor a very hierarchical structure.
I skipped through huge parts of this book - it could perhaps have been an acceptable short story or novella.
I expected more from John Grisham.
on October 11, 2016
Great storytelling from a great author.
I don't feel like retelling the story that you can read from the back cover, but it is one of those page-turners that you just cannot put down. Some surprises along the way with a few disappointments, nothing is sugarcoated, definitely could happen in real life.