Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating PSFF17_gno
Customer Discussions > The Confession: A Novel forum

The Confession

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2010, 3:33:41 PM PST
POLLY J. OAS says:
I am a Grisham fan and was anxious to read the latest. i was a little leary that it would be another "Chamber" which I found very depressing. It is not. It was a book you wanted to keep reading,forget sleep, and the end is realistic but not depressing. Now I wait for the next Grishsam.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2010, 11:26:25 AM PST
I used to like Grisham. He was able to tell even "racial" stories without sounding moronic (Time to Kill). But this one.... Boy! What a disaster. The biggest problem with this book is the feeling that Grisham truly believes that his story is plausible. That white, Chrstian, Conservatives and Texans are by definition a bunch of racists, red necks, bigots, incapable of sophisitcated thinking. What's wrong with liberals? They live in a fantasy world that is to the real world what a caricature is to the real picture. I happen to be against the death penalty, because I don't trust ANY Goverment organization enough to make life and death decisions (well... maybe war when is inevitable would be the exception). But this book almost made me change my mind and become a supporter of the death peanlty! I know that there are DA that are sub par (Duke anyone?) and that courts and juries can make mistakes. But to think that there is a conspiracy by "Christianists" to kill blacks almost just for fun... Come on!!!!

Posted on Dec 29, 2010, 12:54:09 PM PST
D. Rossi says:
I found this book fascinating. I couldn't put it down, although I did find the story to be somewhat improbable and full of stereotypes with a hugh lean to the left. It did make a great story though.

Posted on Dec 30, 2010, 6:13:58 PM PST
I have been a Grisham fan for 15 years and have been sad by his last few efforts. This book was wonderful, interesting and sad. I am not sure how or why others believe that the death penalty is given fairly, or that other races are not given death more than white people, but it is held up by statistical analysis. Did you read "An Innocent Man?" Have you done any reading on the death penalty in Texas? In Florida? I don't believe there is a conspiracy, but I do believe that "Christianists" are scared and confused by others who are not like them. White. Female. Southern Baptist here.

Posted on Jan 2, 2011, 7:24:15 AM PST
Not so long in our history,sadly that was the case of Christians killing/lynching blacks - its just a hard cold fact of history; did you ever see the imfamous picture of two black males being set on fire hanging from a tree; the weird thing about the crowd in attendance, it was filled with smiling faces of kids, women, city goverment officials....ect. So these things have happened and can happen again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2011, 4:12:00 PM PST
Mystery Man says:
Very nice comments Annie. Totally agree.

Posted on Mar 2, 2011, 8:14:18 AM PST
njhilger says:
In general I liked this book, but the character of Donté was a puzzle to me. He fooled everyone into thinking he was lame and dying. He wasn't, so why did he get the minister to help him confess. He could have done it on his own. He was low down scum as evidenced by what he did or tried to do after the execution. Grisham never explained Donté's actions. I agree he's not the writer he used to be. This was a little "slam bam, thank you mam." njh

Posted on Mar 3, 2011, 12:23:45 PM PST
Mae Futrell says:
I thought this book, "CONFESSIONS" was one of the best books Grisham has written and it shows the unfairness in the justice system, and the illegial things that goes on and how innocent people are falsely accused and punished and how criminals go free. Can't wait for another Grisham novel.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2011, 2:13:46 PM PDT
You're mistaken. Travis is the bad guy here, not Donte.....get your facts straight before posting.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 18, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

This discussion is about
The Confession: A Novel
The Confession: A Novel by John Grisham (Hardcover - October 26, 2010)
4.1 out of 5 stars (2,438)