Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 223 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 292 reviews
on December 29, 2016
Extremely well written. I appreciate the extensive research conducted! With a topic like this, scientific, empirical data is needed to drive home a point.
on February 4, 2015
Shipman and Kay have a flavorful writing style that adds sugar and salt to what otherwise could be pretty dry. This book was very enlightening for me. I enjoyed reading about what confidence is, and what women in general think about confidence. I felt I myself was lacking in confidence, but much to my surprise after taking some of the assessments in the back of the book, I scored exceptionally high. I guess I wasn't confident in my confidence level. How's that for a mind bender?
on July 31, 2016
Great scientific backed research on the differences between men and women, both in how they gain and use confidence. I work in a predominantly male industry and I used this book with our management team to provide training and enlighten men tasked with training new hires. Feedback from our team was very positive.
on September 24, 2015
A fairly good book to read about confidence, not just in women but for men too. I think the author's generalize the division of the genders too much but the book provides really interesting insights from top officials in government, sports, and business and does give interesting interviews with qualitative researchers who show that confidence is actually more important than competence in determining the ability to move up in a job. Definitely worth reading. In particular, the gene attributes and how people can change them with habits was deeply interesting to me.
on November 13, 2016
I have found myself referencing this book to friends, myself and my husband. It has taken me a while to read but it's one I wanted to let every word sink in. I will be going back to this one and hopefully using it as a tool in raising my daughter.
on May 19, 2016
I have read a lot of female empowerment books and what I loved about this one was how they roped genetics as part of the confidence issue. I thought it was really interesting to see how our DNA influences us-- but also to know that we can surpass our genetic makeup and pave our own path with confidence.
on September 14, 2015
The ideas laid out in the book are great and needed. There were some sections of the book that were harder to read than other mostly cause it was a little dry and some sections too clinical, but the information was eye popping. Ive been reading this book on and off for some months now in between other books and even though I'm finding it informative, it's not dragging me in where I can put it down kind of thing.
Worthwhile read but I think there are some sections that are too clinical and not practical. I liked Lean In better
on May 17, 2014
The Confidence Code by Claire Shipman and Katty Kay is a wonderful book. It's funny (Katty Kay learning to kiteboard), relatable (stellar international leaders Christine Lagarde and Angela Merkel comforting each other when male politicians beat up on them), and easy to read. Well researched, the book contains pages of helpful information, not only to understand why we as a gender tend to lag in confidence but also what to do about it. (Although the book would be good resource for any adult who lacks confidence, it's aimed at women.)

Apart from making you feel good, why is confidence important? According to the authors, ..."there is evidence that confidence is more important than ability when it comes to getting ahead," on the job and in life generally. Good compensation, happiness, and professional fulfillment may depend on confidence. Not born confident? Don't worry. "The newest research shows that we can literally change our brains (to make us) more confidence prone."

There's a lot of wisdom in the Confidence Code. One nugget is this: "Most people believe they need to criticize themselves in order to find motivation to reach their goals. In fact, when you constantly criticize yourself, you become depressed, and depression is not a motivational mindset." Also, "...Of all the warped things that women do to themselves to undermine their confidence, we found the pursuit of perfection to be the most crippling...you'll inevitably and routinely feel inadequate."

But most of us are perfectionists. How do we overcome these behaviors?

To get answers, Shipman and Kay interview and cite many thoughtful and engaging experts, who are quoted throughout the book, but the short course is this: Stop overthinking everything. Have courage, take action, congratulate yourself for trying regardless of outcome, and move on. Engage in self-compassion. Practice / do the work. Mastery in one thing spills over into other areas. Meditation can shrink your amygdalae (the region of the brain that amps up fear) and stimulate your prefrontal cortex (the calm, rational area). If that's too much work, concentrate on how you present yourself physically. Practice power positions. Spread out. Take up space. Keep your chin raised. Don't use "upspeak" (i.e. sound like a Valley Girl when you talk).

There's so much more, but here's the thing I want you to remember: the development of confidence is volitional - a choice. Or as Shipman and Kay put it: "Our biggest and perhaps most encouraging discovery has been that confidence is something we can, to a significant extent, control." What an important life skill for women of all ages to learn, and to teach their daughters and granddaughters.
on January 24, 2017
Sad to think that all these years later, women STILL haven't gained the confidence to "go for it" unless they're 100%! My master's thesis dealt with this same subject almost 25 yrs ago - and the results then were nearly as were presented in the book: women need to find that confidence they have in academia & make it a way of life IN life.
on April 9, 2015
Confidence is something that many people struggle with, regardless of gender. This book looks at the research, such as how genetics and upbringing affect confidence. It also give practical advice on how to improve confidence which directly improves your life. We have been using this book as the basis of Women in Tech Panels in our SQL Server user community, and it has been well received. Hopefully, we are helping out the authors by increasing their sales a bit.
It's a great read regardless of your confidence level.