Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Fergie PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 8 reviews
on March 2, 2015
While preparing two lessons about David for my Sunday school class, I discovered this DVD set that has a section on King David. Since I wanted to present David from the historical perspective as well as the Biblical one, I bought the set, playing only the King David part.. The class enjoyed the lessons, which expanded our knowledge of David as a man, not an invented hero. The David section includes scholarly narratives with some action scenes filmed in Israel. A real winner for my targeted goal of making David come alive for the class. I split the sections into two Sunday classes to include other biographical lecture information and to use a variety of presentation methods for the class.
on November 20, 2010
When you hear the word "Conqueror", you normally associate it with famous figures in history such as Napoleon, or Julius Caesar. Well, this documentary series does tackle those two personalities, but saves them towards the latter part of the series, starting off with less popular "Conquerors" instead like William Howe, Conqueror of New York, or John Fremont, Conqueror of California.

Dale Dye turned out to be an excellent, charismatic host. I like the fact that when discussing the weapons used by the conquerors, Dale would casually try them all out to demonstrate how they were used, and give an idea what it was like to use them.

An overall excellent series. If you love history, then you're gonna love this series, as they present excellent, objective summaries of the history of each conqueror. Was hoping there'd be another season at least of the show, too bad it only ended up with one season.
on July 9, 2011
I am a great and ardent fan of the programs on the History Channel. They are educational without being dull and tedious. I was reviewing the premise of this DVD until I read that Capt. Dale Dye was narrating the series. Now, when I saw his name, I decided to immediately purchase this DVD.

This DVD does not disappoint and it includes various illustruous and infamous people in the program. The segment including Sherman and Zhukov were the most interesting so far. However, I wish that the program included Attila the Hun and Genghis Khan for this would have made for a more interesting program. However, the program was excellent and I gave it five stars.
on April 5, 2007
Captain Dale Dye hosts the Conquerors, a History Channel series. Dye has an extensive background in the military and he seems very authoritive as a host talking about battles, weapons, and conquerors. A wide assortment of conquerors from different cultures and time periods make up this series. These are the people the series analyzes:

Disc 1

WILLIAM THE CONQUEROR

GENERAL WILLIAM HOWE: CONQUEROR OF NEW YORK

ANDREW JACKSON: CONQUEROR OF FLORIDA

CORTÉS: CONQUEROR OF MEXICO

WILLIAM THE CONQUEROR

This episode tells the story of William's childhood and how he rises to become Duke of Normandy. The Bayeux Tapestry is used to provide details about Harold Godwin and the Battle of Hasting. Instead of ending at the Battle of Hasting, the episode details how William takes complete control of England by adopting some Saxon customs, building castles, and taking a census through creating the Domesday Book. I found it interesting that William has remorse about his conquest of England on his deathbed. Although the last few minutes of the episode mention disgusting facts about William's burial, these details do conclude the life of William the Conqueror. This episode showcases the different weapons and fighting styles that both the Saxons and Normans used. Overall, anybody who needs a good overview of the Battle of Hasting, William the Conqueror, Harold Godwin, and medieval weapons will gain new insight by watching William the Conqueror.

GENERAL WILLIAM HOWE: CONQUEROR OF NEW YORK

If I was the producer of this series, I would not have produced this episode because Howe did not stay a conqueror. The episode does show American and British fighting tactics, which was interesting when compared side to side. While this is my least favorite episode on Disc 1, the information about Howe is very relevant and it shows how many times Americans almost lost the American Revolution.

ANDREW JACKSON: CONQUEROR OF FLORIDA

Andrew Jackson is a really interesting character in our history. What I enjoyed about this episode is it focused soley on Genereal Jackson and made only a very short mention of Governor or President Jackson. Jackson definitely earns the nickname "Old Hickory" because he was fierce, couragious, and a true conqueror. It is hard to imagine an America that lacks the state of Florida, but Jackson truly conquerored this state for Americans. This episode was excellent and I will use it when I teach American history next year.

CORTÉS: CONQUEROR OF MEXICO

Cortés did conquer Mexico through skill and divine providence. When one considers that Cortés conquerored Mexico with only a small army of conquistadors, some horses, and some firepower, it is a fantastic and hard to believe story. Cortés was gifted in using any advantage he could find in war. He was an opportunist and a very interesting character to learn more about. This episode was my favorite of this disc because Cortés is often ignored as a conqueror. As an American, our culture focuses more on English and American conquerors than Spanish ones. This episode is perfect to show to my students in World History. It meshes the Aztecs and the New World to Europe and the old world very well. The plague of smallpox and measles that the conquistadors bring with them is also spoken about in this episode. After watching this special, I can still only believe that divine providence allowed Cortés to take complete control of Mexico. Watch this episode because it's superb.

As I finish watching the second and third dvd, I will write review number two and three.
on September 17, 2014
Great job.
on September 12, 2011
I loved this series when I caught it on TV. Happy to add to my collection. I share it with all my military friends who also enjoy it.
on November 8, 2008
This item was received in a timely fashion. Would do business again with this seller.