Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 39 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 92 reviews
on September 29, 2015
While this was a pretty fast-paced adventure, this one wasn't really my cup of tea. Lots of point-of-view shifts make it a bit jostling. Due to lots of historical connections, codes and puzzles, and vocabulary (and other languages), this book could make a nice candidate for a YA read in a group or family setting, but I'd suggest a responsible adult read it through first (always a good idea).
on September 2, 2014
I particularly like the beginning. I agree on a review that this is Da Vinci code for children. Still, this book offers quite a lot. First of all, the story is not based on brainless, accident-prone, emotion-driven kids' random impulsive acts (I start to get quite tired of that kind of books these days. There are just too many.) but based on an actual plot!! Also it deals with many historical and cultural events that some of them were true (so it was fun to learn). Although still somewhat shallow, the characters are developed well enough to be enjoyable. Lastly there is humor with originality (Apollo cheese! made me laughing for a whole minute). I am slightly disappointed towards the end as it all sped up and started to give an impression of a kind of 'action packed spy movie (so there goes Da Vinci for children)'. But overall, it was very enjoyable.
on January 4, 2015
I love to pre-read books that my boys will read and so I can encourage them to read the book and talk about it with them. This book has a fun and captivating story. I love when history is interjected into fiction books and often find myself looking up different facts to see if they are true. Characters are well written and the emotion is real....many books in this genre touch so lightly on the emotions of the characters....i.e. loosing a family member etc....but this book does them justice. My boys age 8-15 would all enjoy this. A light read for the older boys, a fairly heavy read for the younger ones. It does have a cliff hanger ending, so buy both!
on November 2, 2014
Overall, this was a very good book. At times, the pacing was slow, or the way a sentence was written was a bit confusing, but it is overshadowed by the otherwise wonderful writing.

At times, the dialogue is choppy. Sometimes there is dialogue between two of the kids in the story and it sounds like two adults having a conversation, which is very odd.

The plot that Abbott has constructed is massive. He has connected so many points in history to create such an elaborate puzzle! He constantly keeps you guessing about what happened to the main villain and why everyone is so afraid of her.

Overall, good book. You should read it.
on January 23, 2017
I bought a set of these books to use as a book club group in my 4th grade classroom. I received the books just a couple of days after ordering (no I don't have Prime) which allowed me some time to read the book myself. Two thumbs up! The group of kids reading it are only about half way through, but they're begging me to purchase the next book in the series for them!
on May 30, 2014
THE BEST BOOK EVER I TEARED UP WHEN IT WAS OVER😭 i need the second book or I think I won't make it to next week (its sunday). I would recommend this book to anyone who dislikes reading, it will get them into it and I gave it 5 stars because I couldn't stop reading and when it was on my mind I couldn't stop thinking about it I loved everything
on February 7, 2014
I have been looking for a good series to recommend and use with older gifted elementary readers. This is the series that I was looking for -- so much more than an intriguing and exciting plot -- problem solving-- references to many things that pique the curiosity of gifted readers. I liked it!

The Reading Professor
on June 12, 2016
Tony Abbott is a great writer of young peoples books. My grandson will love it!
on May 22, 2015
This book is a cross between PJO and the DaVinci Code for middle school students. Tony Abbott takes you on an around the world chase to find hidden relics with time travel. I really like that the characters are my age. Although I did not love this book, I did enjoy it, I gave it 4 stars! :}
on August 30, 2015
It reminds me of Harry Potter and the ability of young people to solve and confront fearful problesm.