Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 80 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 97 reviews
on March 12, 2017
I love this book! I've had the physical book for years and just bought a Kindle version because I love this book so much!

The stories about the recipes and the regional differences just her in the US alone made it a fun read! It's nice to know where the recipes came from! :) I've made many of the different recipes and enjoyed the results! My adventure making cornbread was to start with the earlier Colonial recipes... and work my way around the world as I could! I was so glad to find the South African mealie bread here, too! Johnnycakes... hoe cakes... I could go on and on!

This was my first introduction to Crescent Dragonwagon and her work - and it remains my favorite! I had bought the book because of the the name and the topic... and her name! However, I fell in love with the book for the variety of cornbread, the anecdotes, and overall charm of the book. The recipes are delicious! This is my "go to" book if I need a cornbread recipe - and then I agonize over deciding which one!

I still enjoy this book and had to buy another because mine is a bit beaten up from use and moving! If you love cornbread, you will enjoy this book!
on November 4, 2013
I'm not much of a cookbook kind of guy. I tend to read recipes, and once the basic ingredients and methods are clear in my mind I put the basics (dough, prepped food, utensils, etc. together, and let it cook. Since a lot of my food is done by a slow-cook method I can take it easy and not get anxious about exact timing, etc.

I grew up in Georgia, where biscuits and cornbread (including muffins, corn sticks, pan-fried breads and so forth) were a daily part of my diet. But I took these things for granted, and simply enjoyed them. It wasn't until I was "on my own," married with children, that I developed an interest in baking the same sort of corn and flour-based goods that I grew up eating. Alas, by that time most of my older cooks, along with their secret techniques and special little add-ins that made their cornbread and biscuits so delicious, was lost. So now I'm on a quest to find and master the basics, and then go from there.

After reviewing many of the cornbread cookbooks available, I decided to start with "The Cornbread Gospels" because it seems well written, not too technical, and not too sentimental either. It gives a lot of information that I can use as my skills increase, and that's the best way for me to develop proficiency in a technique.

I received the book quickly and immediately began to plan my first attempts to enter the world of cornbread. I may amend this review once I've done a few recipes and gotten a feel for how practical and well-written the book is, but for now, "The Cornbread Gospels" is my new go-to reference book.

I like that it covers so many variations on the basic recipe for cornbread, which means I'll be referring to the book for a long time. And yet it's not so heavy or intimidating that I feel afraid to get the pages smudged with stray batter, or to underline or highlight important ideas, or make notes on a page.

So, although I'm not a cook who follows recipes "religiously," I do look forward to "The Cornbread Gospels" to be my guide to a new world of warm, crunchy, buttery goodies that will make many meals all the more savory or delightful. This is early November, which gives me plenty of time to develop some skills before I try to make cornbread dressing or other homemade breads for the holidays.

May all your baking experiments turn out to be wonderful successes! Remember, SLOW cooking keeps everything more moist, and helps flavors blend together. Let any anxiety or past "failures" go, and start again (I'm now 60, and just starting cornbread mastery!). Make cornbread as often as you can -- not just as part of "important" meals, but just to practice consistency. Soon we'll all be making lots of cornbread delicacies, and delighting our friends and family with fresh breads that come alive with some butter at the table! Best of everything, -Russell (transplanted from Atlanta to Manhattan).
on January 25, 2014
When I think of cornbread, I have flashbacks to many occasions in my life growing up in rural Winston County and suburban Mobile Alabama. My grandma liked hers yellow, my mother liked hers yellow, both cooked in a cast iron pan, never as muffins. So when I married a Yankee, it surprised me that his concept of cornbread could be so different. This ebook gives regional recipes, but also explains the key differences. Last night I read the chapter on these differences to my husband...because he liked his sweet, with flour, cooked as muffins, with syrup, frequently for breakfast...while I chose to serve it with dinner, especially cooked greens or crumbled in a goblet of milk. How appalling to pair it with sweet items. Thus we were out of sync about cornbread.

Well written, with references to other sources both culinary and historical, the differences in the manufacture of stone ground and steelcut. It even discusses grits, hominy, and polenta. The live links are clickable and take you to specific recipes...or almost to the recipe, because it is a page number which could be off if you set your font size larger. I flipped to the beginning of the NEXT recipe and had what I wanted. Obviously this ebook was carefully planned and organized to provide the reader or cook with more than a recipe.
on July 1, 2013
I saw this book when visiting a friend and got caught up in the anecdotes and the variety of recipes. Well, I bought the book and am glad I did. I've only used two of the recipes so far, but they've both been big hits. There are LOTS of cornbread recipes of all types, but also sweet breads, griddle breads (like pancakes.... some look amazing) and other foods that go with cornbread. As I am a vegetarian, too, I appreciate that there are lots of adaptations made for us and a healthy take on most of the offerings. I made the maple-cornmeal sticky buns last weekend and wow, they were really good. I just like to read the recipes, notes and stories Ms. Dragonwagon's included. It's a good book; I recommend it to anyone wanting new things to try with corn/cornmeal.
on May 18, 2015
Fabulous Recipes! There are recipes in this book for every type of cornbread imaginable. My husband loves cornbread and her recipes I have tried are all home runs! The cornbread recipe Dragonwagon served her lodge guests is the one she says she got the most requests for. I understand why! It is now one of our favorites. This book is a joy to read. It makes me smile reading through the stories she tells with her recipes. You will enjoy her recipes as well as her stories.
on November 2, 2013
Every culture has cornbread. I have tried two recipes so far, and the Kush is very good. The one cornbread recipe that I tried was the authors' own recipe from the restaurant that she and her late husband ran. It's Southern, and I found that I prefer Yankke cornbread, no matter what Mark Twain had to say about Yankee cornbread.

The book is divided into styles of cornbread: Southern, Northern, Southwestern, Global, Babycakes, Yeasted, Soulful Spoonbreads, Crisper, Go-Withs, Desserts, and several others. The wood-cut style illustrations are very nice, the writing is clear and entertaining.
I'm looking forward to finding my perfect cornbread recipe.

It's also nicely formatted for the Kindle and everything seems to work. Always a plus. Editing looks top-notch-an even bigger plus.
on September 18, 2016
AWESOME book. A must have if you like cornbread. All kinds of recipes to try. A few minor tweaks for my liking to them and OMG some of the best cornbread meals I have ever eaten. Absolutely love it.
on October 7, 2016
This is a lot of fun - plenty of interesting stories and good recipes.
on June 17, 2016
Who would have thought a book only about cornbread? Really worth exploring. Lots of fine recipes. And interesting to find that cornbread is like BBQ and very regional.
on February 22, 2012
I have to say that I am a huge CD fan! I have all her cookbooks and adore her funky writing style. But when I discovered she was writing a cornbread book. Well, I was first in line. =D

Everything you could ever want to know about cornbread and more. This book takes you through northern, southern, native, and progressive cornbread styles and then an entire other section packed with what to eat with your cornbread. Even dessert.

One thing I LOVE about CD's books are her menus. Dotted throughout are menu ideas inspired by holidays, happy days, or just good days to bake some cornbread. It's that little jolt of inspiration we sometimes need when dinner time rolls around.

Perfect for cornbread lovers, quasi-vegetarians, and anyone who loves cozy comfort cooking.