Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Josh Ritter PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 43 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 60 reviews
on January 14, 2013
I enjoy reading Spiritual writings. In reading a wide range of this genre, I have noticed a unity of opinion regarding Ultimate Awareness. The greatest variance of how to achieve that goal is in the myth and tradition taken by those who seek it. I was unfamiliar with Mr. Finley on his writings until this book. It was part of a year-end clearance with one of my dealers and was a bargain even without a coupon! Having read this hard-bound pamphlet, I found him to be clear, well integrated as to his Spiritual World-View (he appears to be more Buddhist, but would probably ascribe himself as being of no "system of belief") but offering nothing new to the literature of Spirituality nor any insights which would deepen that field. That, however, does not mean this book is without merit.
This work is an excellent reminder of how powerful the individual can be in changing her/his particular world. Far too frequently, individuals wait on circumstance, permission, affirmation or some other external influence to "guide" her/his life. The reality, as Mr. Finley repeatedly asserts, is that all are empowered to live life "successfully" without having to be told by another human being how to do so. There are mentors, guides, fellow travelers who may assist in helping others recall this power (Mr. Finley would be one such person) but the choice (power) remains within us. The excuses of: fear of failure, disappointing others, avoidance of pain, seeking only pleasure, refusing to accept what is, etc., only empower the false idea that one is "lacking" what it takes to be free.
As one who seeks to follow the teachings of Christ, I understand Mr. Finley's words as supporting Jesus' words, "I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it [a]overflows)" (Jn. 10:10, Amp). Christ's life was, in part, a statement that God loves and accepts us as and where we are. We can choose to walk in that truth and live with abundance (of Spirit) or we can choose to believe that we must change something about us before we can be acceptable. When one elects to act upon that acceptance, then another of Christ's statements becomes clearer, ". . . the kingdom of God is within you [in your hearts] and among you [surrounding you]." (Lk 17:21b, Amp).
on April 24, 2012
What an incredible book! This is what I have been looking for without knowing it.

I have never read anything that was so clear, well-written and thoroughly helpful. After one read-through I was able to get rid of some of the mental-clutter and its associated weight. There is still work to be done - fortunately this book provides exercises that can be referred to again and again to help you move forward.

When you are looking for a book on spirituality or personal-development it can be disappointing when the material is either too dense or vague. That is not a problem at all with this book. The information is conveyed through story, metaphor, quotes, useful examples and simple exercises. It doesn't read like an instructional or systematic personal development book that needs time out of your already busy day. Rather the instructions are simple mental techniques that can be used quickly and in the moment to get you out of a rut and moving forward again. It helps you defeat distractions and gets you back to being your essential self.

I have read dozens of personal-development and spirituality books. Nothing compares to this book. Sure there are valuable insights to be taken away from any book, but for a book that isn't overly lengthy this contains so many practical gems of truth.

I was delighted that the book wasn't a book solely based on spirituality that offered only faith and hope. Rather it is a book to enrich and enlighten your personal sense of being with a foundation in practical psychology. Other books that offer interesting information about managing the mind don't cut straight to the point the way this one does. No matter how complex the issue I feel that it does come back to a few essential elements of understanding. This book will reveal them and help you become comfortable putting them to practice in your daily life.

Please do yourself a favor and spend some time enjoying this book. The small investment will pay huge dividends in your personal, professional and spiritual life.
on July 25, 2012
I have read many self-improvement, self-help, and other spiritual books and nobody's wisdom speaks to me quite like Guy Finley's. He quickly brings you back to realizing that the problem is in the negative emotional state/thought, not in the circumstance itself. He leads you to finding your own truth and peace. I'm starting to understand that if the thought doesn't feel good, it's a thought that shouldn't be trusted to find a solution. It's actually making me look forward to my next negative state, just so I can apply these principles. Sometimes his insights are really deep, so deep that I have to re-read them a few times until I understand them, but don't let that discourage you. This stuff is simple at its core and just takes continual application until it becomes natural.
on November 11, 2010
The Courage to be Free by Guy Finlay is a must read for anyone seeking to expand their knowledge of self and to better themselves spiritually and intelectually.
The author is very clear and knowledgable on the subject matter and conveys this in a very readable writing style.
The book is concise and very well set out and the writing is crisp and inspiring. The chapters are constructed to form a natural guide through the development phases of discovery. The author really establishes an empathy with the reader and this creates both a compelling read and a teacher/student relationship of trust throughout.
This reader is certainly the wiser for and has benefited from several new perspectives in the book.
Most importantly the subject matter restores some balance to life often compromised by the pace of modern living.
on March 12, 2015
This book is a wonderful gift to all of us. Here Guy explains clearly, how we can reach a life of peace at any given moment. I know it's true since I've experienced myself that we are the main creators of our experiences. Indeed we are 99% energy and one percent physical. When we acknowledge this we can connect to universe and have the meaningful and wonderful life that awaits us.
on December 1, 2014
Great book. It is both informative and helpful. It also teaches you to be true to yourself and not live in fear of what others may think of you. A good read. Received in good condition. Author really cares about others in helping them in their life.
I gave it 5 stars for excellent.
on July 12, 2015
This book covers those issues which makes us remain trapped in our own confusion. Help one to open up to moving forward and be free, I love it.
It explains the things which makes us remain in the past and gives hints on how to have the courage to shake off.
on April 6, 2015
Great book....
on May 3, 2013
It takes work, but if you follow Guy Finley's blueprint, you can release some of the baggage that gets in the way of living the life you want to live. This is common sense stuff that you've heard many times before but what makes this book different is Guy's conversational writing style in the form of stories that really clicked for me.
on October 15, 2010
Everyone who is asking themselves what comes next - will love this book. If your looking for answers to who you are and how you got here - you will love this book. If you want to change everything in this world - you will love this book. If you want to get excited about the future - you will love this book. If you want to get rid of all your self limiting beliefs - you will love this book. If you want joy in your life - you will love this book. Etc. , etc. etc. I LOVE THIS BOOK !