Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 82 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 192 reviews
on May 2, 2017
I was a little slow - bought this cd several years after it came out. This is not a perfect album, but there are several tracks that reach the upper echelon in the category of prog/art rock, and I have to give them 5 stars just for those extraordinary songs. These are primarily the two 10-minute-plus tracks: "The Island-Come & See/The Landlord's Daughter/You'll Not Feel The Drowning," and "The Crane Wife I and II." If you're like me and enjoy these ambitious mood-and-tempo-changing suites, you've probably noticed that no one (not even The Decemberists after the equally ambitious "Hazards of Love" album) is making decent prog/art rock anymore. My recommendation is try the 70's British prog rock group, The Strawbs. Go for "Ghosts," and "Hero and Heroine." Not unlike The Decemberists, Strawbs likes to base some of their music on ancient folk tales, which seems to be a great launching place for creative, ambitious music.
on March 11, 2016
If you like the Decemberists, you like the Decemberists. This is a good album and I particularly like "Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then)" and "Sons & Daughters." My kids were playing this and I became interested in the band, enough so that I went to see them play in Portland. Colin Meloy writes songs with intelligence, and I appreciate that. It brings out the Malvina Reynolds, Pete Seeger, Bob Dylan, Gordon Lightfoot, Donovan Leitch (whom I got to talk to in Dingle Ireland in 2012), and Peter, Paul and Mary of my generation. The hurdy-gurdy is a nice touch.
on March 6, 2017
I really love a few of the songs. I am enjoying the rest of the album, as well. It has been in the car CD player for a while now :D
The Office really hooked me with their playing of Sons and Daughters near the end of the series. I also liked the song Architect which I first heard on HIMYM.
on March 11, 2017
Almost worth the price. I'm buying only vinyl lately, so this really was a great purchase. Highly recommend to any Decememists fan that own a turntable. The best and lots more of the best! Must have!!!
on July 7, 2017
Great album.
on May 30, 2014
I ran across the Decemberists on Austin City Limits the year they released this album. I was blown away. Truly amazing. Since then I've been to several concerts and have purchased all their albums. The Crane Wife is still my favorite (along with Hazards of Love which was so good that I went to 3 Hazards of Love concerts in 3 different states--that's when I found out that concert promoters add dates as they go along, so if a concert is not in your town initially, it may still be scheduled).
on May 17, 2007
Alright, so this is the first Decemberist CD I got. I heard "16 Military Wives" and "Los Angeles I'm Yours" and I kinda fell in love with "16 Military Wives", so when I had some money I decided to get this CD (after all, a band that names themselves after the Decemberist revolt has to be pretty cool). Now I like it a lot, but it was not really what I was expecting and it definitely won't be for everyone. I'm not really that good at reviewing music so bear with me.

Now that I've listened to it enough to have a ridiculous number of the lyrics memorized. Mostly the music was pretty mellow compared to a lot of the things that I listen to. The lyrics are generally smart and interesting. Overall, I really like the CD and enjoy listening to it. It flows together really nicely and is nice to have in the background when I'm doing something like writing a blog entry. My favorite songs are "O Valencia!", "Shankhill Butchers" and "The Crane Wife 1 and 2".

Honestly, I pretty much think it's awesome.
on January 30, 2009
Excellent compilation of tunes and stunning performance. I wish I had known of this group earlier; too bad they only get played on Public and/or listener-supported (speaks volumes) stations. Nice, folk/country/alt-rock flavor, and I especially love the anti-war-machine thread that runs through the lyrics. I can easily picture a live audience singing in unison with Mr. Meloy and Ms. Conlee on the tag of "Sons and Daughters," a few hundred Bic lighters held high. Inspiring!

My only disappointment was, after being so impressed with Laura Veirs' voice on "Yankee Bayonet," searching out some YouTube examples of her own material only to find it bland, pretentious and utterly forgettable.

I keep searching my mind for some other act to which this group compares; I can find none. Unique and wonderful!
on December 3, 2012
Great album and concept! Love the folksy/Neutral Milk influence from the Decemberists. Nice packaging that opens up to a beautiful illustration (not just a single sleeve), however, I was disappointed it didn't come with the lyrics or a download code. (Not Amazon's fault.) Nice heavy good quality vinyl.
Did a bundled shipping of two vinyls. Both arrived in perfect condition and quite quickly!
Stand out tracks: When the War Came, Sons & Daughters, The Crane Wife 1& 2.
on March 7, 2011
My only concern here is that I discovered a really superb song writer and terrific singer and fell in love with his work and the band. Not the kind of music I usually go for but he swept me off my feet just like the Crane! Leonard Bernstein once wrote an essay about how very difficult it is to write a good song, how rare the talent is, and a lot of us spend a lot of our time nit picking about that. He often manages to arrive at the choice word like "the indolent town." Most of his songs might describe an event in the 17th or 18th century, he's such an Irish folksinger, but he is often universal, and often the event could just as easily be 21st century. Montana can be proud.