Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Nina Nesbitt PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 172 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 215 reviews
on April 20, 2014
Murray's efforts to share business and life insights with his intended audience of young men and women seem sincere. The book is going to be most useful for teens and twenty-somethings, but even older readers will find some wisdom in Murray's suggestions, if only to reinforce that which they already know. I read the book in two or three sittings, overall less than 24 hours. I wish Murray would have fleshed out his section, "On Thinking and Writing Well." I'm always interested in reinforcing good practice for my grammar and usage. Some of the explanations, or clues for usage, didn't seem to really provide sufficient substance for someone who might be questioning his or her choice of usage. Murray does however give suggestions for supplemental reference sources one should have available when one writes.
on June 8, 2015
This guide is what is sorely missing in adults and teens today. General respect and attention to the experience of those who worked their way up the ladder. Yet, he admits his limitations and his behavior theories lack critical analysis.
on May 11, 2014
I bought this book expecting to find exactly what it gave me during --and after-- reading it. And it gave me a lot of wisdom in a funny way and, as a bonus, in a nutshell. I'm in my fifties and I have read hundreds --in fact, many more than thousand-- books of whatever you want, so it is difficult for me to feel or experience surprise when it comes to literature. Charles Murray did a really good job in giving advice to the young people by thinking in adult ones too. Wisdom is ageless, and this is perhaps the Murray's better achievement. He has read the same books I have read (or almost) but he is capable to offer a new perspective, a fresh new reading to people like me or whoever that is tired of stereotypes and clichés. In doing so he embraces from grammar to ethics, and from leaving home to get a good wife. All oriented to teach you --tip after tip-- how and why to live a good life. Mr. Murray jump over the risk of writing a recipe, giving us instead a bunch of good and relevant advices. I don't share his religious perspective at all but --and this is not easy to say-- the book is good anyway. Highly recommended.
on April 15, 2017
Being a curmudgeon myself, having been raised a certain way, an thrown to live in a very different culture from a young age, I began being disappointed with myself when noticing I've lost much of my good manners and values over the years. This book has helped me stop being a pleb and pursue the virtues and values I've lost.
Great and short read, gets right to the point, just as any written work should.
on June 27, 2014
Thoughtful compilation of insights into generational and cultural differences between the older generation (typically the bosses) and those starting out in their careers. I really like reading books like this where judgments are clearly expressed. Don't know the author but got the book primarily due to the title. It is well written, which makes it all the more enjoyable. The primary audience seems to be 20 somethings starting a career who come from an upper middle class and have pursued higher education. I think that is a fair assessment. The most enjoyable thought process for me was the suggestion to wrestle with the question "What does it mean to live a good life?" I also like the discussion about "resilience."

Favorite quotes: "The ability to make judgments carries with it the responsibility to do so."
on June 21, 2014
Just in time to squelch the burgeoning onslaught of young people who insist on using senseless expressions like "like" every third word that pops out of their mouths! Murray has concisely captured valuable life lessons for not only recent college grads, but for anyone who is changing careers, having difficulties achieving promotions, or just wondering how to easily assimilate into the business world. I bought four copies, and sent them to my three sons and a recent Univ of Penn. grad. It would be a welcome change to have "like" banished from everyday conversation, and while this is just a snippet of the wisdom imparted, acceptance of the cautionary advice would make the world a much easier place to listen to people!
on September 19, 2014
...but, I thought it was a good read, especially for those that are just starting out in their professional careers. It's sad to see the new generation of "professionals" struggle with the simplest of business norms. I would recommend this book to the youngsters to help them get started on the right foot.
on April 24, 2014
This is a quick read for any young adult just starting out looking for a job.
It also is a satisfying read for anyone dismayed over the slackness found in so many of today's younger people. It could have been written by many of us who just were not as articulate as Charles Murray.
He has good insights and advice.
on August 4, 2014
This is a book meant for the younger crowd who might be entering the workplace. Murray gives advice in a rather grandfatherly sort of way, but with a drill sergeant mentality. His message: Look, you're going to be working for us old curmudgeons, so you better figure us out if you want to get ahead....and by the way, learn to spell better and understand the difference in words that sound the same and for goodness sakes, use your spell check!

Older folks will find it enlightening as well, because Murray goes through several critiques of writing errors and how to correct them before you embarrass yourself.
on November 23, 2016
Lots of useful information for young men and a must read if you are a millenial/generation Z. I would give it five stars but it's a rather short book and seems a tad overpriced given the length.