Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 34 reviews
on January 31, 2006
I had read all the Chris Carmichael traning books, and found them lacking. There isn't enough detail about what lies behind his programs to allow one to adapt them very well.

What I like about Friel's book is that it lays out all of the principles behind the programs. Knowing the principles allows you to make reasonable adaptations to the programs. For me it's helped make good decisions concerning what to cut when I find myself short of time in some given week. Do I cut the long ride? Do I cut the power work? Would it help to add a couple of miles to my commute to make up for it? After reading Carmichael's books I was still mostly clueless when it came to making those calls. After reading Friel's I feel pretty confident that my decisions are at least not egregiously stupid.

The book might be too detailed if all you are looking for is a few simple programs you can copy, or some ideas for different sorts of training to add to your routine. The book would be overkill for that.

This is really a book for serious self-coached cyclists who want to plan a training season and who want to be able to make good trainnig judgements as they proceed through the season. It would also be useful for the coached cyclist who might be more strongly motivated if they understood more of the why and wherefore of their routine.
on June 13, 2015
Since I've used Friel's methodology my results have improved exponentially. I prefer a little more resistance training that Joe prescribes but this was an easy modification. The step by step instructions to lay out a training plan for an entire season are worth the cost of the book alone.
on November 21, 2006
I competed in Collegiate swimming and own 3 Physical Therapy Clinics. Joe Friel has done an excellent job of taking some of the complex science of high level training and making it very easy to read and apply. Application is what it is all about. If you can't apply it and get results then why are you training? If you want results this is a great book.
on March 3, 2005
I think,the philosophy of mr. Friel is the one that should

have all the coaches.That would lead the young riders -especially them- to a lifetime excitment about the sport and make them better people.This is the most important element of the book.

Here in Greece,we don't have the opportunity to read such as this, books so it is a very helpful book.It will make me a better coach. Thank you.

P.S Excuse me for my poor English.
on September 4, 2014
The D width was too tight so I gave them to a friend and he loves them.
on April 20, 2007
Alot of great technique tips and training ideas. I'm a runner first, triathlete second, swimmer third and biker last. This book was a great help with creating training schedules are drills.
on February 7, 2009
Very complex, very detailed oriented. Very good for teaching us how do feature our own training.
on February 27, 2006
This is an excellent resource for anyone wishing to get into or improve on already existing road racing skills.
on January 9, 2007
This book should be called the "The Racing Cyclist's Training Bible". My interest was riding for fitness and general health and prepping for centuries and other special events. I don't feel that this book addresses those goals well. If you're interested in racing, this may be a much better book for you. I'm not really able to evaluate the book for that use.

This is the disadvantage of ordering a book online. Had I been able to read the book at a store first, I would not have bought it.