Customer Reviews: The Daily Poet: Day-By-Day Prompts For Your Writing Practice
Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 New Professional Skin Care Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fall24 fall24 fall24  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Frank Sinatra Shop Cycling on Amazon

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 4, 2013
I am a bit of a prompt snob. There... I admitted it. Oh sure it is fine to occasionally use simple little prompts that may or may not spur fits of writing (and I know I've been guilty of dishing some of those out) but I wouldn't want to buy a whole book of them. This book, on the other hand, is filled with so many great prompts, you could generate material to keep you writing for years. There is a depth in the prompts that make you think in layers. These prompts are thorough and solid. No fluff. There are prompts that stir memories and prompts that make you want to research and learn more about a topic. And there are prompts specific to an event or a date, but not in a way that makes you roll your eyes and want to skip the page. Some of the prompts give you extra credit for digging deeper. I am torn because I want to read all of the prompts straight through, but as soon as I start reading them, I want to put the book down and start writing.

Even if poetry *isn't* your genre, you will find this book helpful. If you write fiction, flash fiction, memoir, non-fiction, screenplays, essays or just write in a journal (or create in an art journal), you will find this book helpful. It is all about generating lots and lots of ideas. And it is a great value. Three hundred and sixty-six prompts (yes, even one for leap year) for less than $.04 a day (in paperback), and you will most likely use the book over and over so eventually it is like getting it for free. :)

I am hopeful that they are working on a second volume.
on November 9, 2013
For even the poet or writer with the best of intentions, the hardest part is always putting the pen to the paper and knowing where to start. Some days it will come easy, but most will not. This is the beauty of the newest release by Two Sylvia's Press, authored by Kelli Russell Agodon and Martha Silano.

The Daily Poet: Day-By-Day Prompts For Your Writing Practice is a year of prompts that keep one fresh with a wellspring of starting points. If we don't start it isn't happening and this book can move one over that initial speed bump that often trips us up.

Agodon and Silano are two seasoned writers, with seven books between them before they co-authored The Daily Poet. Both have received numerous accolades. Born of their own personal experiences of creating prompts for each other to write from, they have decided to provide us with a mountain of prompts to do the same. Enough for every day of the year.

Reading through these prompts was a delight in itself. Some of these are a tribute to the creative genius in both of these women. The prompts are fun, witty, and sometimes deep or at least I've found myself searching deeply. The May 25th prompt: Taboo You implores us to write a poem that we would be afraid to show someone else because oh what it might reveal about ourselves or someone else that we are not 100% comfortable with others knowing. (No one has to see the results) - Prompts like this can take us places in our writing that we have been afraid to go. I find that a freeing experience.

Having read books by both Agodon and Silano I'm not especially surprised that I find this book well worth the price (and it's available in paperback as well as e-reader) but I am amazed at the diversity and how they keep a freshness to so many prompts.

I see this book being used in so many ways. Pull it out occasionally when you are stuck in your writing. Commit to writing a prompt daily (great for New Year's Resolution), or teachers using it in a classroom setting, or writing groups pulling prompts from it. If you write I recommend it. If you know a writer, I recommend it and if you know a teacher they should have a copy.

You will find poems inside you that you never knew you had.
on October 30, 2013
For those of you who love to write but are often stuck needing inspiration, or because you are waiting for the muse to strike, this is a highly recommended book. It has prompts for each day of the year. I, dutifully, started with the October prompts because that's when I got the book, although now having flipped through the pages, I know I will be cheating every now and then to pick the prompts that I absolutely want to attempt first.

The book is titled The Daily Poet but I am a prose writer and that's what I am using it for. So the prompts are most definitely customizable. They are fun and like little unexpected gifts, because each is fresh and not in the least repetitive. I have particularly enjoyed the ones that have prompted me to think about food in unexpected ways (for example, writing about breakfast at my home) or history (the Great Chicago Fire of 1871) or landscape (writing about a city whose name you love).

So go ahead and pick up a copy today!
on July 29, 2015
This book is just lovely, and exactly what I was looking for. For each day of the year, there is a poem prompt, and as I flipped through it, each one is as unique as the next. It's not your typical "write a poem about trees" type of book, but instead presents prompts that cause real thinking, observation, and practice. While I plan to start on the date I received it and work through the book, a person could easily just flip open to any page and use the prompt shown. Definitely an inspiring and motivating read! (And fits well in my backpack for on the go poetry writing).
on November 30, 2015
I wrote a poem for nearly every day of the year with this wonderful book. What a rich collection of ideas, with references to history and art and biography and much more. I loved learning about the poems the authors reference. After coming upon the prompt with which I began my year with this book launching almost each morning, I was a little undone. Who will help me get going today?
on December 10, 2013
Reviewed by Rachel Rose
I am not a poet who uses prompts. Generally, I have adhered to the notion that poems should come through sheer force of inspiration or will, without help from outside forces. But when I learned that Kelli Russell Agodon and Martha Silano (two poets whose work I admire; disclaimer: I am acquainted with the former) had published this book, I decided to investigate. I'm happy to report I found much to admire, and much to inspire as well. Organized with a prompt for each day of the year, The Daily Poet is also a literary, linguistic and artistic romp that will encourage poets to let their imaginations roam, to risk thinking of language and innovation in new ways, and to delve into the serious play that is creating poetry. Consider, for example, January 27th, where the prompt requires you to circle all of the words that interest you in a newspaper article, and then to use these words in new ways. The authors came up with "fracking" as one example, and suggested "fracking one's heart." What an exciting turn of phrase! All poets, whether emerging or launched, can benefit from the encouragement and inspiration that The Daily Poet offers. It also delivers a poetic education, incorporating links to poems read by famous poets en route. If I had one request, it would be more prompts that engage with traditional forms. While there are terrific poem prompts for list poems, ekphrastic verse and couplets (among others) I know I'm not alone in loving the rigorous challenges of formal verse, and students tend to respond to such prompts with some of their best work. But this is a minor quibble--The Daily Poet delights. Now excuse me; I'm off to write a Curse. (June 2nd).
on January 10, 2014
I could echo almost everything written by the reviewer who describes herself as a prompt snob (guilty).

I write a lot but have only quite recently started writing poetry again. I find that each prompt I've used so far from this book has been a catalyst opening a door to write whatever it is I most need to write about. And the further I go the more I appreciate how much work must have gone into crafting these prompts. Very well done.
on December 18, 2013
My Wife's Review- "As a poet and editor I've always been a fan of writing prompts. From them stem quite a few of my own successful drafts, resulting in poems submitted for publication, and a few were accepted. I received this book over a month ago and wanted to exercise the privilege of using it for at least a month. Taking one prompt from each month, opening up and pointing (yeah a random silliness I often practice), I found myself writing about Abe Lincoln missing out on the Ford's Theaters unfortunate noted place in history, adding more recipe-poems to a manuscript that I had known was even possible, and looking up unfamiliar names which led me to learn a totally new direction to take my writing. Now that was something I had been wanting for a few years in writing from any prompt source.

Kelli Russell Agodon and Martha Silano have created not only a technical writing tool that works, but its fun. Even if you only used it once a month, the years you could spend redirecting your writing skills would be almost endless. I am an editor for three on-line and print ezines and will recommend this book on my sites for poets and writers who submit and are seeking some inspiration. I could see this book becoming a virtual desk top calendar for poets and writers like myself. Even a calendar, because we do look to all sources for inspirational prompts, and why not girls!"

Elizabeth Akin Stelling
Managing Editor- Red Dashboard LLC Publishing
on November 27, 2013
The Daily Poet is a marvelous set of prompts and ideas for writing -- one for each day of the year! What I love the most about reading these poetic prompts are the little bits of knowledge and insight that open creative doors for me. I learned little things -- little insightful fun things -- about Salvador Dali, about Dizzy Gillespie, about patents, about language and Walt Whitman and about the construction of the universe! All of these thoughts set my head spinning in creative fervor -- exactly the authors' intent.

As another commentator wrote, think of this book as a poetic Book of the Hours (a medieval book holding prayers keyed to specific hours of the day or days of the week), and your daily writing practice may come alive. Great ideas and thought-provoking prompts bring ideas alive.

The only critique I have of this marvelous little book is that the examples and ideas are too largely from older white male writers. Annie Dillard is mentioned -- but I was saddened not to find a single quote from writers such as Maxine Hong Kingston, Zora Neale Hurston, National Book Award Winner Ursula Le Guin or bell hooks. These writers have been a profound influence on me, and I was saddened at their omission.
on January 15, 2016
I use this book for ideas on many days. Even if I don't write a poem using one of the prompts every day, I look that the day's prompt. They're thoughtful and detailed. They've become great writing exercises for me and I've gotten several "keeper" poems from these prompts! The Daily Poet: Day-By-Day Prompts For Your Writing Practice