Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Noah Gundersen Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 26 reviews
on June 11, 2015
This is a well researched and well written on a subject of great interest to me - film noir. Mr. Hirsch explains the background of noir, lighting, camera angels, femme fatales, plots and subplots - and all done clearly and well. If you are a convinced student of film noir or you've just been introduced to the genre, I recommend this book highly.
on January 30, 2017
Love this book,one of the best ones on Film Noir
on October 22, 2015
Illuminating book on Film Noir. I'm learning a lot in my class. I also recommend The Dark Side of the Screen: Film Noir by Foster Hirsh, which may be a little more readable.

Be sure to see the late film noir movie from 1966, Seconds, with Rock Hudson, free on YouTube. Another good movie on YouTube is The Hitch-Hiker, from 1953 - riveting.
on June 23, 2016
Wonderful book, definitely the ' go to book' on film noir.
on June 22, 2013
The author presents an encyclopedic analysis of the evolution of the genre. This is not a how to that defines what is or is not a noir or how shoot a noir, it's an authoritative collection of a genre through a specific time period that shows the reader what to watch to understand the tapestry of noir better.
on June 8, 2015
A superb and in-depth study, one that is highly informative yet reads like anything but a dry textbook. I recommend that any new fan of film noir delve into this book first before reading others. After this one, see Nicholas Christopher's 'Night and the City.'
on January 19, 2016
My sons loved this book
on September 14, 2014
Yeah!
on January 2, 2017
The more I read the more suspicious I became of the author's personal judgments - they seemed old-fashioned. I finally checked the copyright date: 1981. I had wanted a more up-to-date study.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2012
I had a boyfriend, and he was a fan of Film Noir, a genre which I know little about. But he said he liked it, and that it was good, so I trust in his opinion about it(but nothing else, ha,ha...)