Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 36 reviews(4 star, Verified Purchases). See all 224 reviews
on October 29, 2013
There are plenty of reviews which will give you the gist of this album, and the consensus is right. 99 songs for this cheap is worth the buy, but you won't be getting 99 "dark" songs. Still, it's a fun collection with some familiar and some rare pieces. If you're up in the air as to whether you want to buy the album, I recommend going ahead and rewarding yourself. It's over eleven hours of music, and a great big chunk of them are very enjoyable.

To address the concern about composers: the files list the performing group as the artist, and the composer of the piece is not found in the file. The update that turned this album from 50 songs to 99 apparently removed whatever composer file info there might have once been. It's not in the .mp3 file itself, so no matter what music program you use, it's not going to show up with any amount of fiddling. To try to remedy that, I tracked down the composers for each track, and I've listed them below for those of you who are interested.

1. Franz Liszt - Totentanz For Piano And Orchestra: Andante - Allegro - Allegro Moderato (Attacca)
2. Ludwig van Beethoven - Symphony No. 5 In C Minor, Op. 67, ''Fate'': Allegro Con Brio
3. Arvo Pärt - Fratres For Strings And Percussion (1977/1991)
4. Richard Wagner - The Valkyrie: Ride Of The Valkyries
5. Camille Saint-Saëns - Danse Macabre in G Minor, Op. 40
6. Sergei Rachmaninoff - Morceaux De Fantaisie, Op. 3: II. Prélude In C-Sharp Minor: Lento
7. Antonio Vivaldi - Stabat Mater, RV 621: I. Stabat Mater Dolorosa
8. Pyotr (or Peter) Ilyich Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake Suite, Op. 20: Scène (Lake in the Moonlight)
9. Carl Orff - Carmina Burana: O Fortuna
10. Béla Bartók - Music For Strings, Percussion And Celesta, Sz 106: I. Andante Tranquillo
11. Tomaso Albinoni - Adagio In G Minor For Strings And Organ, ''Albinoni's Adagio''
12. Sergei Prokofiev - Romeo And Juliet, Suite No. 2, Op. 64c: Montagues And Capulets
13. Ludwig van Beethoven - Piano Sonata No. 14 In C-Sharp Minor, Op. 27:2, ''Moonlight Sonata'': Adagio Sostenuto
14. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Symphony No. 40 In G Minor, K. 550: Allegro Molto
15. Ludwig van Beethoven - Egmont, Op. 84: Overture In F Minor
16. Dmitri Shostakovich - Sonata In D Minor For Cello And Piano, Op. 40: II. Allegro
17. Giuseppe Verdi - Messa Da Requiem: Dies Irae - Tuba Mirum
18. Ludwig van Beethoven - Sonata No. 8 In C Minor For Piano, Op. 13, ''Pathétique'': III. Allegro
19. Samuel Barber - Adagio For Strings, Op. 11a
20. Edvard Grieg (Check out all of Grieg's Peer Gynt; it's well worth it) - Peer Gynt Suite No. 1, Op. 46: In The Hall Of The Mountain King
21. Antonio Vivaldi - Concerto In D Minor For Oboe And Strings, Op. 1: II. Adagio
22. Dmitri Shostakovich - Ballet Suite No. 2, Op. 84b: IV. Sentimental Romance
23. Johann Sebastian Bach - Toccata And Fugue In D Minor For Organ, BWV 565
24. Antonio Vivaldi - The Four Seasons, Op. 8, ''Summer'': I. Allegro Non Molto - Allegro
25. Antonio Vivaldi - The Four Seasons, Op. 8, ''Summer'': II. Adagio - Presto - Adagio
26. Antonio Vivaldi - The Four Seasons, Op. 8, ''Summer'': III. Presto
27. Sergei Rachmaninoff - Ten Preludes, Op. 23: No. 5 In G Minor
28. Henryk Górecki - Symphony No. 3 For Soprano And Orchestra, ''Symphony Of Sorrowful Songs'' (1976): I. Lento - Sostenuto Tranquillo Ma Cantabile
29. Camille Saint-Saëns - The Carnival Of The Animals: Aquarium
30. Franz Schubert - Symphony No. 4 In C Minor, D. 417, ''Tragic'': IV. Allegro
31. Gustav Holst - The Planets, Op. 32: I. Mars, The Bringer Of War
32. Gustav Holst - The Planets, Op. 32: V. Saturn, The Bringer Of Old Age
33. Gustav Holst - The Planets, Op. 32: VII. Neptune, The Mystic
34. Ludwig van Beethoven - Sonata No. 12 In A-Flat Major For Piano, Op. 26 (Funeral March): III. Marcia Funébre Sulla Morte D'Un Eroe (Funeral March For A Dead Hero)
35. Ludwig van Beethoven - Symphony No. 3 In E-Flat Major, Op. 55, ''Eroica'': II. Marcia Funébre: Adagio Assai
36. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Fantasy No. 2 In F Minor For Organ, K. 608
37. Dmitri Shostakovich - Symphony No. 10 In E Minor, Op. 93: II. Allegro
38. Hector Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique, Op. 14, ''Episode De La Vie D'un Artiste'': IV. Marche Au Supplice (March To The Scaffold)
39. Johann Sebastian Bach - Partita No. 2 In D Minor For Solo Violin, BWV 1004: V. Chaconne
40. Modest Mussorgsky - Fantasy For Orchestra, ''A Night On The Bare Mountain''
41. Léon Boëllmann - Suite Gothique Pour Grande Orgue, Op. 25: IV. Toccata
42. Johann Sebastian Bach - Concerto No. 2 In E Major For Violin And Strings, BWV 1042: II. Adagio
43. Clause Debussy - Syrinx For Solo Flute, L 129
44. Modest Mussorgsky - Pictures At An Exhibition: II. Gnomus
45. Erik Satie - Six Gnossiennes (1897): Gnossienne No. 1
46. Johannes Brahms - Piano Quartet No. 3 In C Minor, Op. 60: I. Allegro Ma Non Troppo
47. Béla Bartók - Music For Strings, Percussion And Celesta, Sz 106: III. Adagio
48. George Handel - Messiah, Part 1: For Behold, Darkness Shall Cover The Earth
49. Earl Hatch - Furioso And Waltzes In D Minor
50. Gioachino Rossini - Petite Messe Solennelle For Choir, Piano And Organ: I. Kyrie Eleison
51. Franz Liszt - Nuages Gris (Grey Clouds), S. 199
52. Igor Stravinsky - Le Sacre Du Printemps (The Rite Of Spring): Part 1, L'adoration De La Terre (Adoration Of The Earth)
53. Ludwig van Beethoven - Sonata No. 14 In C-Sharp Minor For Piano, Op. 27:2, ''Moonlight'': III. Presto Agitato
54. Ludwig van Beethoven - Symphony No. 7 In A Major, Op. 92: II. Allegretto
55. Frédéric Chopin - Sonata No. 2 In B-Flat Minor For Piano, Op. 35: III. Marche Funébre (Funeral March): Lento
56. Franz Schubert - String Quartet No. 14 In D Minor, D. 810, ''Death And The Maiden'': I. Allegro
57. Paul Dukas - The Sorcerer's Apprentice: Symphonic Scherzo
58. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Symphony No. 25 In G Minor, K. 183: I. Allegro Con Brio
59. Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky - The Nutcracker, Op. 71a: XVC. Pas De Deux - Variation II: Dance Of The Sugar-Plum Fairy
60. Dmitri Shostakovich - String Quartet No. 3 In F Major, Op. 73: III. Allegro Non Troppo
61. Maurice Ravel - La Valse (The Waltz), M 72: Choreographic Poem For Orchestra
62. Edvard Grieg - Peer Gynt Suite No. 1, Op. 46: II. Aase's Death (Andante Doloroso)
63. Hector Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique, Op. 14, ''Episode De La Vie D'un Artiste'': V. Songe D'une Nuit Du Sabbat (Dream Of A Witches' Sabbath)
64. Johann Sebastian Bach - Suite No. 5 In C Minor For Solo Cello, BWV 1011: IV. Sarabande
65. George Handel - Concerto No. 10 In D Minor For Organ And Orchestra, HWV 309, Op. 7: I. Adagio
66. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Masonic Funeral Music In C Minor, K. 477 (Maurerische Trauermusic)
67. Jean Sibelius - Lemminkäinen Suite, Op. 22: The Swan Of Tuonela: Andante Molto Sostenuto
68. Franz Liszt - Harmonies Poétiques Et Réligieuses, S. 173: VII. Funérailles
69. Krzysztof Penderecki - Song Of Cherubim For Mixed Choir (1986)
70. Johann Sebastian Bach - Prelude In C Minor For Solo Lute, BWV 999
71. Antonín Dvořák - Stabat Mater In F Minor: Introduction
72. Ludwig van Beethoven - Sonata No. 23 In F Minor For Piano, Op. 57, ''Appassionata'': I. Allegro Assai
73. Antonio Vivaldi - L'Estro Armonico, Op. 3 - Concerto No. 8 In A Minor For Two Violins And Strings, RV 522: I. Allegro
74. Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 4 In F Minor, Op. 36: I. Andante Sostenuto - Moderato Con Anima
75. Johann Sebastian Bach - Passacaglia And Fugue In C Minor, BWV 582
76. Antonio Vivaldi - Concerto In C Major For Sopranino Recorder, Strings And B.C, RV 443: II. Largo
77. Carl Orff - Carmina Burana (Cantiones Profanae), Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi: II. Fortunae Plango Vulnera (I Bewail The Wounds Of Fate)
78. Johann Sebastian Bach - Double Concerto In D Minor For Two Violins, BWV 1043: Vivace
79. Anonymous, as far as I can tell. It's a Gregorian chant, and I could not find a composer for the life of me - Missa De Angelis - E Canti Dell'Anno Liturgico: Ego Sum Alpha Et O
80. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Suite For Solo Marimba: I. Mist
81. Dmitri Shostakovich - Chamber Symphony, Op. 110a (After String Quartet No. 8): II. Allegro Molto
82. Franz Liszt - Sunt Lacrymae Rerum, S. 162d
83. George Handel - Concerto Grosso No. 12 In B Minor, HWV 330, Op. 6: II. Allegro
84. Johannes Brahms - Tragic Overture In D Minor, Op. 81: Allegro Ma Non Troppo - Molto Più Moderato - Tempo Primo Ma Tranquillo
85. Anton Bruckner - Symphony No. 4 In E-Flat Major, ''The Romantic'': II. Andante
86. Gioachino Rossini - Petite Messe Solennelle For Choir, Piano And Organ: IX. Credo: Crucifixus
87. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - String Quartet No. 15 In D Minor, K. 421 (Haydn Quartet No. 2): I. Allegro
88. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Symphony No. 40 In G Minor, K. 550: IV. Finale: Allegro Assai
89. Sergei Rachmaninoff - Sonata In G Minor For Cello And Piano, Op. 19: II. Allegro Scherzando
90. Johannes Brahms - Piano Quartet No. 3 In C Minor, Op. 60: II. Scherzo: Allegro
91. Zoltán Kodály - Sonata For Solo Cello, Op. 8 (1915): I. Allegro Maestoso Ma Appassionato
92. Dmitri Shostakovich - String Quartet No. 4, Op. 83: II. Andantino
93. Ludwig van Beethoven - Coriolan, Op. 62: Overture in C Minor
94. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Requiem Mass In D Minor, K. 626: II. Kyrie
95. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Requiem Mass In D Minor, K. 626: III. Sequentia: Dies Irae
96. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Requiem Mass In D Minor, K. 626: V. Sequentia: Rex Tremendae
97. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Requiem Mass In D Minor, K. 626: VII. Sequentia: Confutatis
98. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Requiem, K. 626: Lacrimosa dies illa
99. Arvo Pärt - Cantus In Memoriam Benjamin Britten For Strings And Bell (1977)

Hope this is helpful to at least a few people.
99 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2010
I love classical music because many pieces have sorrowness, darkness, and weirdness. Here, someone selected some 100 pieces. All of these pieces use minor keys. But, I am not sure these are the "darkest" pieces of classical music. But, well done. For example, selection of Penderecki indicates these folks know classical music pretty well.
I would include some of Renaissance and Medieval music such as Carlo Gesualdo or 14c French music.
on November 1, 2010
This is very good classical music at a great price. However, I feel the name is misleading and thus only gave it four stars not five. Don't buy it if you expect this to be dark classical. Again, very good classical music and well worth the price.
on December 24, 2013
I knew "Dance Macabre" and "Mephisto Waltz" would be on it. I was not expecting "The Four Seasons" to be there. The "O, Fortuna" from Orff's "Carmina Burana" is excellent, on par with Leopold Stokowski's interpretation. I chose the MP3 album sent to the Amazon cloud. No regrets here.
on October 13, 2014
99 pieces of music for $5 is an awesome deal, (one reason I love classical music!) but I agree with some of the other reviewers who state that not all of the music exactly fits into the "darkest pieces of classical music" category. Maybe whoever complied this collection thought that because certain pieces were played exceedingly slow they could be classified as "dark"? I bought this so that I wouldn't have to go to YouTube every time I wanted to listen to, for instance, "Danse Macabre" but this particular recording just doesn't have the magic sparkle that the version that I fell in love with does. Also, why does "O Fortuna" end so abruptly? And wtf is up with "Night on Bald/Bare Mountain" around the 4:47-4:56 mark? I hate that dramatically slows down for no apparent reason (granted I know that there are different versions of this pieces that I am not entirely familiar with so maybe this is standard). Despite all this I am pleased with my purchase because it saved me the hassle of finding individual tracks. I guess my biggest issue is with some of the recordings that were chosen but I'm sure I'll get used to them in time.
on April 9, 2011
There are 11 hours of music. Some pieces are quite excellent. I got them for 99 cents, put them on Amazon's cloud, and Amazon upped my free 5 Gb to 20 Gb of space for a year. Since I put the music directly on the cloud they don't count towards my total used space either. Like I said, a great deal all around. BTW - some people are posting there are no composers. I downloaded all the songs to iTunes and they are all properly tagged with the composer's name and performing artists.
on March 28, 2013
It's a collection of samples. Not the whole piece, but for an album of beautiful compositions that provides the most familiar and stunning of each piece, the compilation is fine. I would have liked to see the original composer information. Having an opus or concerto number without knowing who the composer is, makes it difficult to figure out WHICH one it is.
on October 22, 2013
It's hard to go wrong getting 99 pieces of music for $5. Even if you only like half the music, it's a good deal. I like way more than half. After listening to the whole album, I only deleted one song from my collection.
on May 14, 2012
A superior bargain and the nearly 12 hours of music selections is truly stupendous. However, the download quality from 'the cloud' is not quite as good as the music I've downloaded directly from my computer. Also, seems to take quite a bit longer to change songs. But what a treat to have all that great music available to me. And, as I've said before, the price makes it too good to quibble about!
on January 21, 2013
I bought this along with the ultimate Halloween Classical Music Collection to use as background music for a Halloween party. Very good for the purpose. Also good to have on your Kindle or iPod or whatever just for miscellaneous background classical music. A good set of tracks.