Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Day I Was Blessed with Leukemia
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 20, 2011
When i found this book i was looking up Tom Robbins, my favorite author from Jitterbug Perfume and Still Life With Woodpecker. I had a friend who recfently got Leukemia and I thought it was a happy coincidence that this author I liked happened to write a book about it. It turns out it is a different Tom Robbins. Which i would have been fine with had the book been well written. Unfortunately it it not well written. The early portion of the book is a chronicle of the authors younger life and how he became a minister. I did not get past the first chapter because it was tedious to read. I also came across more than one gramatical or syntax error which should have been caught by an editor. I ended up returning the book without ever giving it to my friend who got cancer because I thought cancer was bad enough, why make her suffer through this book as well.
33 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2012
Big mistake. Bought this schlock hoping it was written by the same guy who wrote the decent, entertaining books... WRONG GUY.
This seems to be marketed at amazon with the intent to trick the buyer using that prominent author's name with no description... well, it worked ONCE... thanks a lot...
Very snakey dishonest way to sell poorly written, ill conceived, wallowing religious tripe...
on July 16, 2011
I am sure this Tom Robbins is very nice, but he is not my Tom Robbins and don't let Amazon confuse you with this book being included in the frequently bought together section( ie what fooled me). I rated it 3 stars cause I felt bad rating it a 1 star as its not either authors fault they share the same name, but vastly different writing styles.
on April 16, 2013
This came up in the search for "Tom Robbins." NOT the Tom Robbins, author of Skinny Legs and All, Half-Asleep in Frog Pajamas, Fierce Invalids... Some other guy, same name, same evangelical family background, but oddly enough, never discussed him doing any WRITING. WAY overly preachy and not much about cancer at a quarter of the way through. So, I did a little more digging, was HUGELY relieved that my favorite author was not the same person writing this (poorly written, regardless of content) piece of garbage. Immediately deleted it from my kindle and anxiously awaiting another release from Tom Robbins.
on August 9, 2014
Author Robbins discusses how his disease turned out to be a blessing. He realized how precious life is and works a lot more than he used to trying to help his fellow persons with their lives. He is an ordained minister with a church in Midwest. Looking back on one's life and seeing if you have accomplished goals you once had. The life inventory review has lot of us seeing how we haven't accomplished goals. Having a life threatening illness often has the person taking an inventory. You learn to appreciate what you have more!!
on September 2, 2012
This jerk nose gets his blathering "gee thanks, god, for giving me a disease" nonsense linked to the REAL Tom Robbins.... i'm sure that all the children born with no arms or eyes or feet or maybe the conjoined ones would love to write a book too.
on November 4, 2013
It's not mentioned on Amazon's page and is listed along with all other books by author Tom Robbins aka Even Cowgirls Get The Blues, Still Life With Woodpecker, etc....
on April 14, 2015
I personally know Pastor Tom Robbins and have great respect for him. This book is a very personal telling of how he faced Leukemia and what the Lord taught him through it. He is a man passionate about living his life for the Lord, and always listening in every situation for how the Lord might desire to speak to his heart and teach him something. Not many people are looking to see blessings even in difficult situations, the ones that are we should learn something from! The Lord has used Pastor Tom's journey through Leukemia to be an encouragement to others who are facing something similar.

(Sadly many have given this book a low review because it was not the same "Tom Robbins" they thought it was. Please keep in mind that is NOT the fault of the author nor reason to be critical of the book because he happens to have the name of someone else.)
on April 9, 2015
Thought I was buying another author named Tom Robbins. It's an okay book, but not what I was expecting.
on July 26, 2014