Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(3 star, Verified Purchases). See all 47 reviews
on October 15, 2014
I have awarded three stars for this book by Elizabeth Bowen, but at the same time I was torn and can quite understand other reviewers being more generous.
It is essentially a character study therefore rather slow paced and so very, very descriptive.
The book struck me as rather strange. The characters are all quirky to one degree or another and the writing style is puzzling at times.
I think The Death of the Heart was published in 1939 when Elizabeth Bowen was around forty. This might explain why at times it reads as rather staid and proper and at others thoroughly modern. Was Elizabeth trying to emulate the times but still bogged down in the rather frowsty atmosphere of early twentieth century England. I couldn't help thinking I was reading a play with the rather stilted prose.
Having said all that, I don't want to be totally negative about this book. I CAN see where the writer was heading and what she was trying to say about poor, dull, unfortunate Portia but I think I prefer the more realistic modern day writer these days.
on October 11, 2016
very sensitive and moody story about a young girl in the care of some uninterested upper-class adults in Britain in the 20s or 30s. Bowen had Virginia Woolf on her mind when she wrote. Her style so clearly draws on Woolf's impressionist experiments. This novel is still considered a classic of its kind. Along with The House in Paris.