Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now FFII_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 77 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 129 reviews
on July 7, 2017
Our son is 8, turning 9. We got this for him for his birthday. He LOVES it! He sits there looking at the absolutely gorgeous photographs and reading about the animals for very long periods of time! Abyssal creatures are his passion, so this book was very fitting. The book is HUGE! I will warn you. Check the dimensions. It is akin to a collage textbook, only bigger :). We are very happy with this purchase. Gifts about abyssal sea life are really hard to come by. This was a great buy for us! The text is very informative, too!
on December 2, 2015
This book is incredible. Others have posted more magnificent reviews than I could manage, so let me just say that every page makes me just sit there with my mouth open going, "no way!" It is breathtaking and a shock to realize things like these - beautiful, odd and incomprehensible - exist along side us. It's that same feeling as when you look at the Grand Canyon or a stunning sky or something incredible and then, as a Human Being, you feel so small and insignificant, but in a good way. That's this book.
When I ordered this book, I wasn't sure if it would live up to my expectations, but it not only lived up to them, it surpassed them. The photography is incredibly, sometimes frighteningly so, at other times beautiful and intriguing. The text is good, but the focus is on the photos. Those who complain there's not enough info accompanying the photos should follow up with other books that will provide them the details they seek (assuming such details are known, as many of the creatures shown in this book are a mystery to science as so little is known about them). I love to give this book as a gift to special friends who are difficult to please as they find themselves fascinated by it. It's a large, coffee-table book, but it isn't so large as to be uncomfortable or awkward to hold on your lap or read on a table.

Getting back to the text, the author provides basic info (when known), so the reader needn't feel short-sheeted. And above all, the photos are wonderful and capture the imagination. It's mind-blowing to realize we share our planet with such bizarre and surreal creatures, only a small percentage of which we've ever seen.

I LOVE THIS BOOK!
on February 10, 2014
I bought this as a gift for a friend. Made a nice gift for someone who enjoys the unusual. There are wonderful images and terrific photography, printed on heavy, high quality glossy pages of some of the worlds most strange and wonderful creatures. Page after page of life forms that you just would barely believe existed. You could just as easily be looking at extraterrestrial, rather than creatures of the deep on our very own planet!

Amazing adaptations to life in the deep. It's just cool to leaf through this book and be amazed and amused by the incredible diversity and wonder.
on January 11, 2017
This book is a dream come true! I am a passionate Deep Zone lover, and am fascinated by the peculiar, bizarre animals discovered there all the time. The writing is wonderful. The photography is brilliant. I am taking my time with this. I call one of the grandkids to come check out something new I have learned. If you have a budding oceanographer, ocean biologist, or would like to buy a friend a tremendous gift, then get this. It won't be a coffee table book. It will be studied, poured over, and used time and time again.
on August 20, 2011
I had been wanting to purchase this book for some time. Now that I have, I couldn't be happier with it!
The dust-jacket image and text have a gloss-finish that contrasts the beautiful matte-finish of the black background. What is on the inside of the cover is even better and to be modest: stunningly beautiful!
With visually spellbinding images, loads of interesting facts (with real scientific substance) and unbelievable photography, this book has got to be one of the best books on the Extraordinary Creatures of the Abyss. For a glimpse at what to expect I recommend visiting the offical site of this book: [...] - here you will find an image gallery, more on the book, reviews on this book, information about the author, Claire Nouvian, and more.
For those of you simply interested in the incredible aesthetics of this title, it should be noted that this book is likely the ULTIMATE coffee-table book!
I hope this review helps =]
GorJess
on May 11, 2017
Beautiful book - purchased as part of a bday gift for my daughter who loves sea life.
on March 11, 2014
The images in this book are mind-blowing. The copy is informative (though at times repetitive due to it being much like a collection of articles), well-written, and comes from a cross-section of marine biology experts who, despite their scholarly achievement, manage to keep the interest of this lay-person. This book is stimulating, inspiring, and beautiful. It is well worth the money and I treasure it.
on January 1, 2016
Great book with interesting facts about the creatures. Pictures are beautiful, my daughter and I have enjoyed how detailed they are. Would have given this a five but it did arrive with plastic outer cover torn and book cover had small tears as well. Did not affect the inside of the book. Would recommend for anyone who likes these wonderful strange creatures
on October 14, 2007
I've always been fascinated by the deep sea. As David Attenborough has pointed out in the marvellous BBC series "Blue Planet", half of the world's surface is covered by water more than a mile deep, and we still know very little about what goes on down there. More men have walked on the moon than have penetrated the deepest ocean depths. This magnificent publication helps redress the balance. It takes you down to this bizarre world with its pitch blackness and crushing pressures and shows you some of its inhabitants (I believe a new species is discovered every ten days). The pictures are augmented by fascinating descriptions. The only sad note is that two of the creatures depicted, the two enormous squids (giant and colossal) with their dinner plate-sized eyes, will probably never be seen the way they have been depicted (artists' representations, as opposed to photos) - it was only recently that Japanese researchers got actual photos of the live animals. Still the artists' representations are fascinating and excite the imagination with the knowledge that there be real monsters down there and that this is what they look like.

Claire Nouvian has done us a great service by producing this book showing us an extraordinary world, and one which man is in the process of destroying without even knowing what's down there.