Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 24 reviews
VINE VOICEon May 1, 2010
Nice idea! It appeals to me.

There is good information in the book, most of which we've all heard before, but presented with an 'attitude' and spicy language that many readers will enjoy and relate to while others will view like they would a slap in the face. She apparently comes by her style of writing honestly because throughout the book there are (sometimes funny) little stories in which her family and friends are brutally frank with her, to the point of being insulting. In return, she insults her friends, family, strangers, and celebrities. Readers will decide for themselves if they like a more gracious, gentile approach or if the blunt style is just what is needed.

The brief mention of celebrities throughout the book helps to lend credibility as to why the author is qualified to write the book, and she does talk about that as well. She is also honest as she makes sure not to claim expertise she doesn't have, as she explains why she wrote the book. I respect that.

Back to the content of the book though, the concept of getting into your dream pair of jeans is one almost all of us can relate to, and that is why we buy the book.

Especially helpful for many, even though we've heard all (or most) of the recommendations before, is the table listing habits we should develop and others we should break.

Is it the last and best diet book for all of us? No, but it may be exactly what some readers are looking for.
on February 17, 2010
This book was a fun and informative read. I have heard some of this in other books but the list simplified things for me. It took the pressure off and let me know that I don't have to do everything right to be successful. It also helped me to set a fun goal such as "Looking good in my new denims!" Who doesn't want to pull out a nice pair of jeans and be able to slip them on effortlessly and then look good in them?? I absolutely do.

The stories throughout the book were funny and on point. I can certainly relate. This book is my new handbook. I am working on making all of these "Habits", Habits in my life. I have nothing to lose but fat by implementing them.

Fantastic read. I wanted more when it was over. I will read it again and again.
In "The Denim Diet", wardrobe stylist and designer Kami Gray, uses an extremely effective yet simple technique that I have been utilizing for years to insure that I don't gain an exorbitant amount of weight especially during the dreaded holiday time. In addition to this, she outlines a program that includes sixteen dos and don'ts that will formulate lifelong habits that will keep you trimly fitting into your favorite pair of jeans.

Not unlike the idea of Will Clower's "The Fat Fallacy: The French Diet Secrets to Permanent Weight Loss," Gray inadvertantly advocates an American take on the French way of eating that eliminates obsessing over the numbers registered on the scale and focuses instead on whether or not your clothes fit. Substitute the black pencil skirt spoken of in Anne Barone's Chic & Slim: How Those Chic French Women Eat All That Rich Food And Still Stay Slim series for a pair of True Religion (the brand is just a suggestion) jeans and you have the ultimate weight-monitoring gargoyle. The test is simple: Do they fit you? Are they tight? After eating certain foods, is there a subtle difference in the fit? When you look in the mirror while wearing them, what do you see from a 360- degree perspective?

So many women, especially those of a certain age make the paramount mistake of turning in their jeans for either leggings or the dreaded elastic waist. Essentially, what this allows is over-eating. Stretch yoga pants while not worn during exercise are not the `thing' to wear while eating lunch with girlfriends at a restaurant. Especially when those girls eschew eating flesh as a matter of conscience and concentrate on high-caloric bread, pasta, beans and cheese to balance out their diets. Caution, indeed, will be thrown to the wind along with those jeans the squeeze you into dreaded muffin-top disproportion.

Wearing jeans with a zipper or button closure or for that manner any form-fitting pant with a structured waistline and button or hook and eye fasteners, keeps your eating in check automatically. My simple rule is to try on your dream jeans every morning--if they fit the way you want, then you ate well the day before. If they don't rewind and figure out which item or which habit did the damage before the damage becomes irreparable. Of course, there is more to Gray's book to just pulling a pair of jeans on and off. Nonetheless the jeans do serve as an important benchmark that aids in self-restraint.

Thinking that you are eating right and actually eating correctly may be two very different things. My example of the women who embrace the vegetarian lifestyle without understanding the subtle balance of the body is a case in point. A little education using Gray's easy-to-read anecdotal sixteen-point plan will make keeping your weight stable a no-brainer. Leaving nothing out, Gray devotes a chapter to each of her eating sensibilities that include: "Slimming Alternatives to Sugar," "White Versus Brown Carbohydrates," "Healthy Organic Food Practices," "Caffeinated Beverages," "Booze," "Breakfast," "Healthful and Ethical Meat Consumption," "Fruits and Vegetables," "Cholesterol, Good and Bad Fats and the Superstars Omega 3s," "Getting Lean Means Better Planetary Health," "Snacking," "Customized Exercises," "Family, Friends and Food Enablers," "Calories, Portions and Proportions," and "Eating Healthy Out and About." Without hesitating to lay down the law, she dictates what you can and cannot eat if your desire is to stay healthy and slim. She follows her rules and regulations with a summary sheet, tips on how to dress five pounds slimmer instantly, how to stock your pantry and provides healthful recipes for each food category.

Gray takes many of the themed-diets like Mireille Guiliano's French Women Don't Get Fat no-snacking portion control based plan, the The Sonoma Diet: Trimmer Waist, Better Health in Just 10 Days!Sonoma Diet's emphasis on power foods like fruit, vegetables and nuts and the glycemic index system of ranking carbohydrates according to how much a certain amount of each food raises a person's blood sugar levels found in The Zone Diet,The South Beach Diet: The Delicious, Doctor-Designed, Foolproof Plan for Fast and Healthy Weight Loss,Sugar Busters!: Cut Sugar to Trim Fat,Suzanne Somers' Fast & Easy: Lose Weight the Somersize Way with Quick, Delicious Meals for the Entire Family! and The French Diet: Why French Women Don't Get Fat and factors in fashionable diet challenges and enhancements from ultra sugary designer coffee drinks, artificial sweeteners, holiday pitfalls and pig-out friendly fast food to eating green, vitamin supplements, protein bars, aerobic and weight-bearing exercises. She does an excellent job of covering all the bases.

Bottom line? In "The Denim Diet," Kami Gray provides a great nutritionally savvy guide to keep you slim for a lifetime. The title of the program may sound gimmicky and superficial, but disregard it and delve into the book's contents instead. Buy yourself that pair of jeans that you always wanted to fit into and try them on every morning as you follow Gray's sixteen guidelines. Keep track of what works for you and what does not and you will be well on your way to a healthful weight that makes the most of the current state-of-the-art knowledge concerning well being and weight control. Strict vegetarians may need additional nutritional aid. There are strict do's and don't so this is not for the faint of heart or those who make cheating part of the plan. Recommended as one of the best all encompassing plans I have come across.
Diana Faillace Von Behren
"reneofc"
on December 4, 2009
Kami Gray's THE DENIM DIET is not a diet book at all...it is an incredibly informative, motivating, LAUGH OUT LOUD read. Once you read the introduction you won't be able to put it down! Funny to think that a self help nutrition book is a page turner, but it is! It's packed w health/fitness info, talks about the choices we make about food and how they effect our body. Kami also educates us on how to make better choices to fuel our bodies and respect food. And the icing on the cake...it is written with a boat load of humor! I also love that Kami's health practices are kind to the environment.
on January 9, 2010
The Denim Diet book is truly one of the best diet / nutrition books I have ever read (and I have read lots). It is an easy read, very interesting and has the best recipes. A lot of books have recipes that are low fat or good for you but are not very tasty. These are all of the above and everything is healthy and easy to prepare. Kami does a great job providing a variety of interesting facts and great advice. I couldn't put it down until I finished it. I loved it! Great book!!!
on May 13, 2009
I think I could open up a diet library in my home. This little diet book was a welcome addition with humor, more helpful hints and lots of encouragement.
on May 30, 2010
I found the author's point of view expressed in this book to be incredibly judgemental and as a matter of fact, I have never felt so self-conscious as I did when reading this book. I wondered who was driving around my town, sitting near me, working with me; measuring the worth of my soul by the size of my body. I spent days beating myself up after reading the book. I found that the author lacks true wisdom or understanding about what really drives obesity in women. While the author presents solid nutritional information in the book, it is not just about eating food that's on "The List". The path to overcoming deep issues with food is spiritual and personal. If you are looking for purely nutritional information, I would not advise reading this book, the inforamtion contained in this book can be found in multiple sources that don't drive you to judging yourself in the process of learning the information. If you're looking for a silver bullet to weight loss, there isn't one. If you're looking for compassion and understanding on your journey, it's not in this book.