Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 49 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 57 reviews
on September 2, 2010
First, if you don't have the first one, you're missing out. They fit together perfectly... hopefully the start of a long series!

The Web Designer's Idea Book: The Ultimate Guide To Themes, Trends & Styles In Website Design

Like the first volume, this is full of carefully picked examples of the best in modern web design. It's organized into very clever topics making it the perfect reference book. It's loaded with screenshots, screenshots, and more screenshots... just as before, but all new, and more recent.

In this version, the screenshots are even larger and easier to pick up on detail and text. They've also included "Developer Notes" which I think are pretty insightful and in context.

If you are involved in web design in any way (even if you're hiring other people to do it), this book will be super handy. The two editions are the same size and style... they're intended to be on the bookshelf together. With the two combined, there must be a thousand organized designs to look through. The amount of work that went into collecting such quality work without "filler" junk is astounding.

I'm really impressed... if you can't tell!

On the negative side: I'd personally prefer these came in large hardback coffee-table books. While maybe not as handy, it certainly would be great to have around the agency. Maybe after the 3rd edition, they should release a combined volume!
on July 18, 2012
So far it's ok. It's not your average textbook in that there are hardly any "professional" terms mentioned. It's more like people in the business' opinion on what they think certain aspects of web design are. It's really not helping me much at all for my Mobile and Web Design class. I rented the Vol. 1 book a few quarters back and pretty much the same story there. Not very helpful, although this one is better as far as element descriptions goes. They could do better in my opinion.
on September 24, 2010
I bought both volumes of this book and I'm impressed. They are both full of unique and beautiful websites. I feel as though the author was reading my mind, picking only the best websites that truly are like interactive works of art. It is the cure to my designer's block!

These books are made to work together and combine into a huge collection of some of the world's most truly awesome-looking websites. One isn't complete without the other, so if you buy it, be sure to buy volume 1!
on June 21, 2011
What a great book. There are lots of 'inspiration' books for graphic and web designers out there. Most consist of a few great sites. Not bad, but "The Web Designers Idea Book" give you hundreds. But McNeil makes this flood of layout orderly by breaking sites into categories - first according to basic design principles (balance, contrast, document flow) and then by site type. An example of his detail is the entire chapter devoted to "404" error pages - this is some serious work on what makes a layout tick. The author also provides developer-centric counterpoint to his design discussion - some layouts, easy to create in Photoshop or Illustrator would be almost impossible to make work in HTML/CSS.

The author also provides advice on how to use the examples, and discussions of larger design trends. If you want to explore the "classic" web 2.0 look check the earlier edition, but the examples here are cutting-edge. Also, nearly all work when you try the site URL!

My only critique is labeling - some figures are not clearly labeled as being associated with text. It would also be great to have commentary on a larger proportion of the examples, but we'll need to pay the author more IMHO. If you're trying to learn web design, get it!
on July 19, 2011
This is not a book you read from cover to cover. Its primary goal isn't to teach you CSS, how to use graphic design software, or how to do web design. It's a reference book as its title implies. There are tidbits of useful advice scattered about from various industry professionals.

The author, however, makes it clear that copying an entire design is tacky and unprofessional. Use this book when you're running low on creative juices. Pick elements you like from multiple designs and mix-and-match to cater to your tastes or for your client.

In an effort to build my references library, I added this to my collection. Looking forward to getting the other series. Good for any front-end developer.
on November 10, 2010
I love this book. From the second it arrived, I've been pouring through the pages again and again. I'm a web design student; thus, I'm always working on multiple sites at a time. Each time I hit a new design phase for a site, I pick up this book and thumb through it. I see new ideas every time I open the book. I tag pages with ideas I might like to implement. My book has little tags hanging out of it all over the place. It's nice that ideas are modern and visual. If you design sites, I can't see how this book wouldn't inspire you.
on March 14, 2016
For the novice writing a webpage this book is very helpful.
on June 4, 2014
I design my WordPress themes in Artisteer 4. This book is one of the foundations I studied to improve the functionality and flow of my websites. There are lots of great ideas throughout. Just remember that this is a design book. Technical issues about coding require a different form of study and lots of application.
on June 1, 2011
I like this book because it is written for designers and from the perspective of a designer. Chapter 2, Basic Design Principles, would be particularly useful, especially for young designers. The chapter guides the reader to many important considerations in developing designs. The rest of the book are examples of good website designs. Obviously, the selection of examples was based on the principles presented at the start. I miss the color palettes though that was provided in volume one of the book.
on May 11, 2011
The book is written on quality paper, and the page images are clear. Some of them are a little small, but they're readable when you consider that they're trying to cram one or two full screens into (at best) half a page or so.

The part I appreciated most was the color palettes at the end of each chapter. I have no color taste, so it's nice to get a complete list of what's used in a given set of pages.

Good source for ideas if you're trying to lay out a site but you're not quite sure what it should look like yet.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse