Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Desire for Dearborne
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Back to School STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 28, 2009
Ordinarily, I do not give a running commentary on plot lines like many reviewers, since that is best left to other commentators. I am more impressed with the technicality of writing than reviewing a plot line. I must say, this is one book I will put aside and will definitely pick up later for an enjoyable re-read. It has everything I like in an historical Romance novel. The writer has an educated, professional approach, and more importantly, a love of the English language. The dialog flows naturally and with a certain passion I respect in a writer. All too often in this genre, one has to struggle through the editing of the text and content to get involved in the meat of the story. Some writer's are sloppy in their editing, which brings me down faster than a speeding bullet, but that is not the case with this talented writer. The reader is kept engrossed in the ethos and passion of this story from cover to cover. The protagonists are believable and empathetic. The historical setting is accurate and well written. The text is free from mistakes and errors, all of which allows the reader to lose himself or herself in the story. That, in essence, is what writing is all about, that ability to transport your reader into the lives of your creations, that ability to suspend reality, elicit empathy, and entertain. The love scenes are tender, believable and not overburdened with detailed descriptions of physiology. I am looking forward to this writer's next work of fiction with great anticipation. You will not be disappointed. I highly recommend this work and this writer.
on July 5, 2011
PUB. INFO: Dreamspinner Press June 2009
GENRE: Male/Male Romance
SETTING: England, 1800s
HEROES: Leander Mayfield, 22
Julien Sutcliffe, 31
GRADE: A/4.5 stars

This was an enjoyable read. It held my interest with no problem. Both lead characters are very likable. Leander seemed so sweet and innocent. Julian is a confident man who lives his life as he chooses. He isn't worried about what society thinks of him. Julian was instantly attracted to Leander from the start and Leander was intrigued by Julian. I really liked the nine year age difference between them.

I didn't care much for Leander's brothers and thought the story could have done without them. There was a villain who did a dirty deed but when it was revealed to the reader who he was, it was no surprise; I'd suspected it was him.

There were four sex scenes and I wasn't impressed with any of them. They were ordinary and not all that graphic, to my disappointment.

I was satisfied with the ending and would love for there to be a sequal. I would read this author again.

I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
on July 5, 2009
Finished this in one sitting as it is very addictive and the characters simply captivating. The Desire for Dearborne has all the elements I seek in a regency gay romance. A richly depicted aristocratic setting, a world weary lord meeting his match in his younger innocent though a bit sickly lover. It is so easy to love both Julien and Leander and the writer has done a wonderful job developing the attraction and love. A love frowned upon in their era but they do not need society sanction. Wealth and status protect them which I thought is just great as I dread tragedies and too much angst in regency gay romances. There is a rich plot here and the turn of events in the second part of the book have me holding my breath. And I love the the developing romance which is tender and sensual. A most satisfying read with a lovely ending. Another quality release from Dreamspinner press.
on April 24, 2012
I can't say this is the best book I've read, but it certainly is a very solid and very enjoyable book, with no major weak point! unlike another kindle book i bought that was also a gay romance, this one has very likeable characters who are not melodrama and angst filled, and while the plot with the baddie was very short and straight forward, it was not at all badly done.

I am particularly fond of Leander's personality. As Julien mentioned once, Leander's innocent, physically weak, and eager to learn, but he is NOT a pushover! I'm not a fan of the type of gay romance where the bottom is practically a girl in all but name (or the type who are always angsting over things). I like my boys with some backbone, thanks. Additionally Leander came across as a very logical type of person who doesn't allow others to make decisions for him, despite the fact that he got sort of screwed over (figuratively speaking) when he stuck to one of his convictions. I REALLY like that. It's just too bad the author didn't really flesh that out or put more emphasis on that point of his personality (though it came through a couple of times, and it was obvious enough for me to really like him).

Julien is an equally likeable character, an older man who's more jaded of the London society and at one point came across as a bit of a hardass, but really is just too concerned for Leander's well been. I was glad to see the author develop on that point of his, and had HIM reflect on his own actions and come to a resolution (that thankfully did not end up with him being an ahole).

the somewhat predictable but welcoming plot twist toward the end was nice. the villain is rather weak, but it wasn't a huge deal.

the only thing that came across as odd to me is that i felt like i've read something similar to this before (especially the plot twist at the end). I am a voracious fanfiction reader, however, so maybe i might have read something else this author wrote prior to publishing (if she is one of those amazing fanfic writers who pulled her fics after being offered to publish anyway).

The only regrettable thing for me is that the story felt a bit too short, too straight forward, and while I liked the characters, they weren't quite so fleshed out enough that i end up LOVING them. Similarly their relationship felt like it moved slightly too fast, especially considering Leander's supposed to be completely innocent. I would have liked to see more courting, with Leander at first being flustered by the new experience and maybe avoiding Julien for a while before starting to accept it and even look forward to seeing the man. But oh well, it was still pretty good!
on September 8, 2015
This book is really very good in the development of plot, characters, and historical references about the Regency period in England.

It has a strong, wrenching love story between Julien, a mid-30s nobleman and Leander, an early 20s American who has happened to fall into a sudden and unexpected inheritance of an earldom of his own. It has a wild and wooly bunch of secondary characters who create mini plotlines on their own, and whose loyalty to each other--and propriety--carries much of the tale.

There are twists and turns, an evil character or two, some overly drawn out periods of angst and self-denial (most of it society driven, if not also shortsighted), and you really don't know if, and how, a HEA might come about.

Suffice it to say this is a solid adventure-romance that I simply could not put down. However, it took me several months to finally buy this one because I simply hated the cover. Julien and Leander are presented as fey and cartoonish, and they are hardly that when you start to read this surprisingly masculine book.
on March 26, 2011
This is my first ebook by Kildaire. It's a Regency Gay Romance and I enjoyed it very much. V.B. did a great job of making the characters interesting which is the #1 requirement for my enjoyment of a story.

Don't you hate reading a book where you just want to smack the hero upside the head. There was one part of the story where I was actually talking to Leander's brothers (okay, maybe yelling just a bit) before something was revealed that explained why Chance (Lee's brother) was behaving like a *SS.

Julien, the sophisticated, aristocratic hero, learns to love instead of just having sex. Leander, the unsophisticated "American Earl", discovers his interest in men is shared by others, and is happy to learn from Julien what that can mean.

There are times in this story that I was upset with Julien (it took him so long to finally get around to searching for Leander). And I was angry with Leander for being so naive, which is really a failing on my part... not Leander's. But Lee's brother's turn out to be hero's, and the villain is really a nasty piece of work, so all in all the character's were just what they needed to be to make the story so interesting.
on April 25, 2011
Perpetually sick and bookish Leander Mayfield travels to London to become the new Earl of Dearborne. London is a bit much for this poor American farmer who prefers to spend his time reading about King Arthur. Now meet Julien Sutcliffe, the Earl of Blackstone, whose reputation preceeds him for liking "the company of men." Julien is immediately drawn to Leander and the romance begins... but wait! There is a plot afoot to steal the Earldom from Leander!

Overall this was quite an enjoyable read. At times I forgot I was reading a "published" book because the story does have a fanfiction feel to it (but that might be because I've read a lot of slash fanfiction). I have to admit I did get a little annoyed at how weak and innocent Leander is portrayed but the quick moving story made up for it. I'm looking forward to reading more stories from this author.
on July 14, 2012
Really enjoyed this book. I started reading it some time ago and finally finished. I enjoy regency/historical romances, and more so when they involve two men. This one was different because the new Earl was an American who inherited his fortune. There were quite a few twists and turns throughout the story, but I figured out what happened before it was revealed. It was a bit of a shock, though, as one of the twists happens much later in the book than I expected.

The reason I did not give the book five stars is because I was a little disappointed by how quickly the author gave away who had done it by suddenly introducing his point of view. I would have liked not seeing this particular person's perspective at all. To me, the book would have been far more enjoyable had the tale been told solely through Julien and Leander.

Either way, fans of regency romances should enjoy this book. I would read other works be this author, especially set in this time period.
on March 16, 2014
I honestly tried to finish it, but it was very predictable and cliche. It's just an average Regency romance with gay characters. Perhaps I simply had high expectations.

I wouldn't recommend this book.
VINE VOICEon September 11, 2009
Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 9/10

PROS:
- The idea of a naïve American farm boy being introduced to the London ton is carried out well: Leander comes off as innocent without being childish or annoying.
- There are numerous mentions of texts concerning the Arthurian legends, which several of the characters spend a lot of time studying, and I was pretty impressed at the research Kildaire must have done to unearth all of the titles. I had no idea there were so many written legends of King Arthur.
- The sex scenes are not very numerous and not at all explicit. Very Regency romancy. I was nervous when I first started reading that the sex scenes would be too graphic for the rest of the storyline, but I thought they were just right.
- There's about a 50-page section near the story's close that I couldn't stop reading. And once the danger had passed, the relationship issues still had to be resolved, so I found the last half of the book to be quite the page-turner.
- Kildaire doesn't simply ignore the fact that sodomy in 19th-century England was a hanging offense. It's acknowledged several times, but she deals with it sufficiently enough to put readers at ease with regard to the two heroes' futures once they get together at the end.

CONS:
- There were a few moments when I got a little lost because so many characters are mentioned in such quick succession. Lord This and Lady That and the Duke of Here and the Earl of There: they all contribute to the setting of high-born London society, but occasionally the number of characters is overwhelming.
- The speed with which the characters progress from frottage to penetration seems rushed. But perhaps that's just because I'm used to reading contemporary romances, almost all of which use oral sex as an intermediate step between those two.

Overall comments: The setting, the plot, the descriptions, the dialogue...everything is consistent with the Regency romances I read and loved growing up. Only this time, the romance is between two men rather than a man and a woman. What could possibly be better?