Bubble Witch Saga 3 Vehicles Review Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

on March 1, 2014
The Disappeared covers all the basics--the terror, the hopelessness, and the frustration of Argentinians who could do nothing to end the violence against the liberal elements of their society. I could have wished for more character development and more detail, but she has you rooting for the brother and sister who are doing their best to be loyal to their families and their country.
on January 26, 2016
Great story couldn't put the book down. highly recommend it to anyone. I also recommend the official story-it was a great movie!!!
on May 21, 2017
Love this book. Great for students to get an understanding of the Dirty War of Argentina.
on May 4, 2014
Anything by Gloria Whelan is a joy to read. In this particular story I enjoyed the telling by the two different characters because it drew the reader into the depth of the story so much more effectively.
on May 11, 2012
This book delves into many nuances of both 1970s Argentinian culture and the struggles faced by the families of the Disappeared. Though it only begins to touch on the true horrors of the situation, it serves as an introduction to the plights many Argentinians endured. If you or your student(s) are interested in learning more, The Little School is a good - though much more disturbing - supplement of many more accounts of the Disappeared. Also, Cautiva is an Argentinian film dealing with the realities faced by some children of the Disappeared.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
So the other day I was looking for a book on one of my rare trips to the Teen section in the library looking for a book and I spotted this one out of the corner of my eye because the cover is BEAUTIFUL! I think it's stunning so without even glancing at what it was about I added it to my stack of books that I'd be borrowing.

It wasn't until I came home that I read the inside cover to see what it was about that I realized I could use it in my Around the World Challenge. This book took me back in time to 1977 in Argentina where the political climate was tense and the country was in a state of unrest and upheaval.

The story is told in alternating chapters by 2 teenage siblings Silvia and Eduardo. Eduardo is unhappy with how the government is running his beloved Argentina and begins protesting unfortunately it isn't long before he gets put in an unpleasant situation and the army comes and takes him from his home holding him prisoner.
Silvia, and their parents are distraught over Eduardo's kidnapping and Silvia decides to rescue her brother by getting friendly with a big time generals son in hopes that he could help set her brother free. Sadly this is not the case and the only reason they are both freed is thanks to the general's wife who hates him for turning their son into a monster.

I wish that the book was as good as it sounds but for me it wasn't. I wasn't a fan of the authors writing and I thought her "voice" was too uppity. I did like the subject matter though because she brought this issue to the attention of the readers perhaps giving them a reason after they read this book to learn a thing or to about the country of Argentina. The story while I appreciate her efforts was written far to stifly and I didn't care for the switching from Silvia's point of view to that of her brother.
Despite the book not living up to the expectations I had for it I did enjoy learning about what was happening in Argentina at the time because I don't know much about Argentina and I while I was there in this book that I've walked away knowing things I didn't know before.

s s'