Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 105 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 162 reviews
on March 21, 2017
EVERYTHING by Jerry Bridges is deep, convicting, and biblical. You have to read it slowly and thoughtfully, not because it is written complicated, but because it demands contemplation and intergration.

Table of Contents:
1. How Good Is Good Enough?
2. The Pharisee and the Tax Collector
11. The Discipline of Choices
12. The Discipline of Watching
13. The Discipline of Adversity
on December 9, 2011
But not in a bad way. I'm partially through chapter 4 right now (which is kind of slow going, but also not in a bad way, just very dense). I'm reading through it with a friend, and let me tell you, this book has really challenged both of us to think about the way we've approached our lives.

Some of the best things so far:

* Spiritually "bad" days and "good" days alike are covered by His grace -- it doesn't matter how good or bad we are, we can't measure up, but He covers us anyway.

* "refined sins": his analysis of gossip and pride were really striking, particularly when he pointed out that if we consider ourselves perfect (pride), we mentally remove ourselves from the scope of God's grace: only sinners need grace, and if we don't consider ourselves sinners, we are not eligible for God's greatest gift to us.

* "preaching the gospel to ourselves every day": his overview of the gospel is really encouraging, but also a great exhortation to holiness.

Overall, I've enjoyed this and find it very Biblically-based. A few times I've wished he'd gone into a bit more detail when defining terms, but he's done really well so far explaining both God's grace and the obedience He asks from us, without falling into either legalism or "God loves everyone! Hearts and rainbows!" that can result from discussions of grace. This is well-grounded in an acknowledgement of our sinfulness but also the hope we have through our Messiah's grace. I would (and have) definitely recommend this to people who are serious about maturing into Him who is our Head.
on June 19, 2016
Growing in Grace is essential to walk in the Spirit. Jerry Bridges will challenge you to review your faith position and walk in Holiness. Full of Scripture and Biblical truth. I would suggest every believer to read and STUDY this book once a year. We are all pron to wander but this book will keep you on track with a greater knowledge of the gospel and HIS free gift called GRACE. My suggestion is to buy the study guide along with the book and go through it with several other believers. Your spiritual growth will leap. Thank you Jerry!
SM
on August 12, 2016
A must have for loving the gospel the way it's meant to be loved. I wore my copy out and then gave it away. Therefore, it's a book to be loved AND shared.
on September 25, 2014
I've read the book four times, but every time I managed to learn something new as if I'd never read the book before, thanks to God's grace. I'm a newly born again Christian but I started reading this book before I was born again, so this book was also instrumental in bringing me to God's truth. I've tried other books on the same topic, namely, sanctification, but I find the author to be talking to me at my lowly level of being a newly born again Christian. But, isn't it true that a great book lies in its simplicity. A Christian on L-plate like me probably can't handle complicated stuff. I'd recommend this book to any one but especially to someone who's just been born again.
on September 25, 2014
Jerry Bridges is one of the great authors that I love. His book has inspired me so much and has given me insight on how God loves. I pray all who buy this book will be inspired as I have been. I will share it with my Sunday School class and family members as well. Thank you Jerry for such a wonderful inspiration and thank you for your God-given talent that He has blessed you with.
on February 11, 2006
The Lord says to Moses, "Speak to the congregation of the children of Israel and say to them: `You shall be holy, for I the Lord your God am holy'".

The Master calls His followers, saying, "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect".

Yet we clearly are imperfect, and our response to this calling all too often smacks of striving, pride, and ultimately of hypocrisy.

So what are we to do? And who's responsible for what?

These questions are explored by Jerry Bridges in this excellent book. The title itself is a meditation on shared responsibility in the process of sanctification. On the surface it may seem that grace and the personal discipline to pursue holiness are opposed to one another, but Bridges argues that they are not. "In fact", he writes, "they go hand in hand. An understanding of how grace and personal, vigorous effort work together is essential for a life-long pursuit of holiness".

A foundational point that the author makes is that Christians must constantly preach the Gospel to themselves. The conventional paradigm is that the Gospel is relevant to unbelievers, and that after they come to the Lord, the essential focus becomes one of discipleship. However, Bridges reminds us that daily recognition of the saving grace of the Gospel message is necessary if discipleship is not to become a matter of performance and of empty striving.

He describes how the primary responsibility of the disciple is to behold the glory of the Lord as it is displayed in the Gospel; this opens us to the sanctification that is the work of the Holy Spirit. And as we receive this grace, the practice of the other spiritual disciplines that are discussed in the book becomes a natural out flowing of the love of God in the believer.

And so it is; as the Lord said to St. Paul, "My grace is sufficient; my power is made perfect in weakness".

This book, which grapples with some of the central issues of the Christian walk, should be required reading for all believers.
on November 11, 2014
If you accept the Bible as a book written by people who carefully observed the natural and human creation around them, over the last 3000 years, for the purpose of furthering human understanding, knowledge and, guiding human human behavior, this book is for you! The Discipline of Grace by Jerry Bridges, is the best book I have read, connecting me to the Bible and its truths. It is a gentle instruction on how I can go about improving the quality of my life in a way that the Creator most likely intended. I cannot recommend it enough to all, regardless of your particular beliefs.
on May 15, 2014
This book is a must read for everyone who desires and understand of what Grace is and why God has it. To understand why, you must understand how we are flawed in every aspect of our life and that is how God created us. Our intent is to be flawed and have a need and desire for Him. It is only through Grace that we are redeemed. Jerry does an excellent job conveying his heart through this book. I believe that we as humans have a difficult time accepting God's grace because we feel in many ways undeserved. I encourage anyone who is contemplating a purchase to press forward and do so as you will be able to read this in a few sittings quite quickly.
on May 18, 2013
I have been a Christian for 9 years, was saved at age 53, and I have been trying to articulate the questions find answers for the very questions he answers in this book. I had only been able to understand about 20 percent of this information from my studies. Therefore, I believe this book to be a Godsend, (It was given to me by a friend).
I am presently rereading the book and working slowly on the work book. I believe it to be well worth the investment of time.
I just ordered one to give away and may get another for that reason. There may be better books out there on this topic, but this one I believe, has given me answers that ought to keep me working and pondering for the duration of my life. I have recently gotten a better understanding of the gospel by listening to Paul Washer's sermons, he is always preaching on it. So, I was ready for information to help me apply it daily, as I consider my walk before God regarding all the failures He is enabling me to see....