Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 29 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 66 reviews
on January 3, 2016
Decent book for my bio course.
on March 2, 2016
love it
on September 5, 2016
Adequate for my AP Bio project.
on February 14, 2017
Excellent book. I have read this before, and bought it as a gift for a friend. Rich descriptions of evolution and biodiversity. Lots of imagery and excellent narratives from the author's experience in the field.
on November 6, 2016
Being a long-time fan of E.O. Wilson, I really enjoyed this book. Without getting bogged down in technicalities, the author explains what biodiversity is, & why it matters that the earth's biological diversity is maintained. More species of plants & animals are going extinct at an alarming rate, which can & will upset the ecological balance of nature. Wilson shows many such examples, & lists types of environmental programs that could either slow down, or possibly stop, this disaster. Also mentioned are programs that some nations are implementing to help maintain a healthy environment.
on May 8, 2016
I purchased this book to us in a college biology class, not only was it $20 cheaper than the book store but it had great resources within the book that other copies did not have. The particular book I was sent had chapter summaries in the back of the book, my friends that ordered this book from other sellers did not have summaries at the end. The summaries really helped me understand the dense material and helped me pass the class!
on January 9, 2007
This is an outstanding book. If you read this before you read Darwin's Origin of Species you'll get soooo much more from reading the latter. Anyway, the book encapsulates in easy to read prose much information that your mind can easily wrap itself around.
on September 7, 2008
If you love the planet and want to understand your small place in the grand scheme of things this book is not for you. If you want to understand how we are all interdependent on the life around us, and how evolution has shaped the face of the earth, buy this book. Mr Wilson's writing is welcoming and the information is great.
on January 3, 2007
When I received the book, it appeared that I had already an earlier edition in my bookcase. I did not regret my purchase, because the new version is updated/upgraded and E.O. Wilson is an excellent author and scientist on the subject of evolution.
on January 14, 2012
Let's keep this short: if you don't know or need to be reminded why even the most mundane of living things on this earth is absolutely astonishing, read this book. The prose goes down easy, and frankly, the creation story Wilson tells is more fascinating than any of the others humans have come up with over the last several millennia. But like them, it has a potent potential to change how you look at the world around you.