Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on April 19, 2016
I have purchased and read a multitude of behavioral books, but they never seem to address the issues I need to address with my dogs. Although I thought this was a book full of heartwarming tales of turning dogs bad behaviors around, I got so much more out of this book!

Unlike other professionals in the field, Dr Dodman refrains from making the book about his relationship with specific dogs he has personally owned, he instead incorporates stories about recommended training followed by scientific tests, evidence and behavioral adjustment plans. You learn about dogs psyche and about the medical research and medication intervention that has been used to treat specific canine issues. He provides insight into the cost and duration of behavioral therapy and explains how in some cases it may not be enough. As most books do, he recommends that owners to address problems early for the best chance of success while always consulting a professional for help if you get in over your head. I feel this is a must read for dog owners experiencing behavior issues and to anyone that is interested in learning insights into a dogs psyche.
4 people found this helpful
on October 27, 2015
A great book that permits us to attempt to understand out dogs thinking process/problems, and help to solve them....an extraordinary insight into dog behavior....should be on the shelf of every dog owner. book, itself, was in near perfect condition, arrived in timely fashion and was very well packed.
2 people found this helpful
on July 24, 2017
Loved this book! Everything makes total sense. I was about to lose my mind and buy training (shock) collars from Cabelas. It's a little chaotic with two Jack Russell terriers vying for Alpha position in the household but now we know how to work this out. A must read if you're losing your mind. Great for puppies and older mis-trained dogs alike.
on December 4, 2015
So much new information. Written in an informative and anecdotal way. Finding it very useful for helping my grumpy older dog and GSD puppy. The best part is it has helped me be safer for my dogs, kid, and other dogs. I've found myself watching dogs at the park and learning a lot​ each day.
on February 1, 2007
Showing a sense of humor, Dr Dodman describes his experiences with a variety of problem behaviors in a pleasant, fun read. At first I was extremely skeptical of using drugs to solve behavior problems, but I decided to give Dodman a chance. In each case he analyzes catalysts and contributing factors to the behavior being discussed as well as the biological background. I felt he used a very well-rounded approach, suggesting liefstyle changes (diet, exercise, management), behavior modification, training, and sometimes drugs. Not every case involved drugs, and those that did often were for short term use only. What I found most insightful, however, was Dodman's analysis of various aggressive behaviors, their basis, and how they're acted out. He very clearly differentiates between dominance aggression and fear aggression, providing precise and various examples of each. Overall I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who has a problem dog. Even if you don't go the drug route you'll still learn a lot about your dog and his/her problem(s). The only reason I'm giving it 4 out of 5 stars is because it's a rather dated book (1996) and doesn't cover some newer therapies.
6 people found this helpful
on February 13, 2004
This author has obviously dealt with many dog behavior issues! He has seen it all and offers behavioral solutions as well as indications of medication that may offer help to the helpless. Anyone who thinks medication is "thrown at the dog" is wrong. Dr. Dodman obviously cares, and we know that human beings with psychological issues are very often helped by medications. Why should our beloved dogs be any different.
I loved this book. I learned so much. I learned to not play with flashlight beams with puppies and not encourage those types of behaviors. I learned how to react, and not react, to a dog's fear of loud noises or thunder.
I thank the author and publisher for making this book available and opening the door to the public about dog behavior. I look forward to reading his next book A-Z.
11 people found this helpful
on July 30, 2014
Good information, and fairly readable. Certainly didn't read like I-absolutely-couoldn't-put-down, as the cover implied to my delight. As such, a disappointment. But as usable information, as time progressed, I realized I'd learned a lot from pushing through the prose.
on December 14, 2013
This is a must book for any dog owner. Many dogs especially rescued ones may come with baggage that takes training and behavior modification to adjust them to living with humans that may have some of the same issues. Meds may be needed for some treatments as a bridge or permanently. Lower protein foods without preservatives is stressed in almost all cases including daily doses of aerobic exercise. Too many people just buy a cute puppy and plant it in the corner and expect it to blossom. It takes effort, and time.
on November 18, 2014
Great book. Goes into use of psychotropic drugs for dogs with behavior problems (as a last resort), with numerous case histories. Apparently "Dog Behaviorists" aren't all a bunch of new-age kooks and charlatans!
on July 12, 2014
When reading, keep in mind that this book is a little older and some of the training methods are a bit more evolved. This book goes well with a dog on medication and a behavior modification plan with an experienced behaviorist. Talk to your vet about medication first.