Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 134 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 195 reviews
on November 13, 2013
My husband and I are fostering a pit bull and so many of the stories in this book hit home. We've also become more aware of strays and mistreated dogs since we started fostering - and we'd have a house full of them if my husband had his way. We've found homes for the first two fosters and are working on homes for the next two. It's so hard to watch them leave but when you see the bonding start so quickly with new families it gives hope that yet another dog will find a home, and a home will find a new member of the household. If you're considering fostering a dog read this book first!
on February 21, 2015
This is an interesting (and quick) read that focuses on the issue of abandoned dogs - not only ones abandoned intentionally but also those who just become that for all kinds of reasons. The focus on the bond that is created between any "owner" and the dog that is found provides a different approach to the dog/owner relationship that I found to be interesting. The book is not so much about providing insight as it is about relating experiences, but at points it does cause the reader to think about lost animals who need the help and relationship with humans to have good lives. All in all, worth reading but not compelling.
VINE VOICEon February 15, 2014
The positive reviews are right. This is a good interesting look into the life of a nice, caring, normal, down-to-earth dog-loving man. He opens up some of his life and his experiences, including running smack into his own mortality which is as much of a shock for the reader as I am sure it was for him. The muscle that is his heart tried to quit on him but his spiritual heart only got bigger and stronger - he was still hauling big hearty dogs around physically when necessary, even after a lesser man would have curled up on a couch somewhere with a less demanding little lap dog. (No offense to lap dogs. I have 4 and only one of them is actually un-demanding.) Now I'm looking forward to reading his other book, Dogs I Have Met.
on February 23, 2011
This book was recommended to me by a woman in Okinawa who rescues, rehabilitates and rehomes dogs. I work at a small animal shelter in Yokosuka, where it is so easy to feel like we are constantly failing. 'The Dogs Who Found Me' helps me feel like there are many others out there, also giving their all and seeing the dogs (and cats) that nobody else sees. Stray animals are a huge problem in Japan, along with puppy/ kitten mills and a prevailing public opinion that you needn't spay/ neuter. Adopting instead of buying from the pet shop is also a relatively new idea and most people don't know the problems of buying. As you can imagine, the pts rate of animals picked up by authorities is around 80%! I read this book right at a time when I actually needed to be lifted up again. I truly recommend it to anyone who has a passion for helping animals who are up against a wall.
on February 28, 2017
A very good read.
on June 8, 2015
This book made me laugh to tears in many parts, Brando is so funny ! when we rescue dogs, it's always a wonderful adventure (fun, priceless and at times very challenging!) to discover them and witness them becoming their true self again as the days, week and months pass, as they heal or regain their dignity. Each time it's a new love story. Thank you Ken Foster for this great book ! I felt so much love for Brando and your other dogs and a great respect for you.
on February 19, 2013
What a great account of the joys, and sometimes sorrows, of helping those animals who were thrown out like yesterday's trash, but mostly joys. Ken Foster shows us that rescuing animals in need always has it's rewards, and even when the story doesn't always end the way we'd hoped, rescuing gives the animals at least a brief glimpse that not all humans are bad and they all deserve to be loved, safe and happy. The organizations he lists at the end is very useful in giving us a starting point to find out more about rescuing, specific breeds, do's and don'ts when approaching a stray or injured dog, and other valuable information & insights. Great book, wonderful people, beautiful dogs!
on July 29, 2015
I liked this book a lot. Ken really seems to come upon and see what most of us do not. I've never had that many encounters with stray or lost dogs but they seem to gravitate to him. Through it all Ken comes off as an ordinary guy who has no special training but a love for animals that most likely ozzes from him. The animals certainly seem to feel it! I'd really have liked this book to be longer. Perhap a sequel?
on November 19, 2013
I love books about dogs, but I enjoy books about rescued dogs even more. Ken Foster's book "The Dogs Who Found Me" was fantastic! It is funny, uplifting and heartbreaking. I could not put the book down. Mr. Foster pulls the reader into the book with his wonderful story of love and compassion. I feel as if I know Ken Foster and his wonderful dogs through his amazing story telling. His book stayed with me and often times I would find myself thinking about his rescued pups. I strongly recommend this book for anyone who loves dogs and enjoys a vivid, touching story.
on April 2, 2013
Once I started reading about the lost dogs, I truly couldn't put the book down. Ken Foster has such a heart for homeless dogs, and they know it. They know exactly where to find him. If I were to come across dogs like that, I'm not sure I could take them in like he does, only because my husband would probably disown me! But seriously, I was caught up in their stories and wish I could help more than I already do. Unfortunately, the only people that will read this book are the ones that have a heart for dogs. I wish more people would care!