Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Assassins Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 71 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 94 reviews
on July 11, 2012
I'm not an absolute beginner when it comes to cooking. I know how to make the things I like but I wanted to expand my skills beyond just my tastes.

Pros:
1. Plenty of recipes to try; They are all rated from Easy to Hard.
2. Most of the ingredients are typical things in a basic pantry or fridge (flour, sugar, olive oil, salt/pepper, cheese, bread, potatoes, etc.) I don't recall anything exotic that a trip to a typical grocery couldn't solve.
3. Directions are clear enough for someone who has basic skills/experience in the kitchen.
4. Almost half the recipes have tips regarding typical situations "How do I save chicken for another meal?", "How to choose the right olive oil", "What is evaporated milk?" .
5. Quite a number of vegetarian and even vegan dishes (for a carnivore, I was very interested in these).

Cons:
1. There are NO pictures throughout the book. For a book geared towards "absolute" beginners and people who regularly burn things, this is not acceptable.
2. Very small appendix which talks about typical kitchen utensils and cooking terms. The terms are no more helpful than just looking them up in a dictionary. You'd be better off Googling "How to juilienne *insert produce here*" The kitchen section pretty much saids "pots and pans, a cutting board, and some knives..."

Overall, I'd recommend this book if it dropped below the ten dollar price point and if you're looking for a little guidance or ideas with meals. Absolute beginners should look elsewhere.
First things first. There are no photos in this book. Now, I'm huge when it comes to cookbooks having photos - especially if I'm unfamiliar with what I'm cooking. I want to know that it looks the way it's supposed to.

However, in this book, that may not be such a problem - simply because these are simple recipes for simple foods. You already know what most of this is supposed to look like.

So who is this book for?

It's NOT for the home cook. It's NOT for anyone who already cooks.

This is a basic starter cookbook for the person who has never cooked a thing before. It's perfect for the kid who is just moving out on his own, getting his first apartment who realizes that, while fast food is probably going to be their main staple, once in a while they may want to cook dinner (or if they get lucky, breakfast) for someone.

Scrambled eggs.
Grilled Cheese.
Salad.
Sandwiches.
Boiling Water.

Wait...boiling water? Yes, this cookbook explains how to boil water or fry a strip of bacon. It's that basic. The most complicated things are lasagna and enchiladas, but even those are basic and easy.

Each recipe is written in clear, easy to follow language and is rated if it's easy, medium, or hard. Most are rated easy. In addition, they call for ready made items like refrigerated biscuits, jarred spaghetti sauce, and Velveeta.

This is truly a foolproof little cookbook for the person who thinks cooking is reheating Chinese takeaway in the microwave. It won't make you a gourmet chef, but it will get you fed.
on January 23, 2012
I bought this as a joke Christmas present for my boyfriend who is always claiming "I don't know how to cook" when it comes his turn to make dinner. He actually got excited about some of the recipes and made me lasagna a few days after he got the book. It's not 5 star quality food but it doesn't claim to be. All of the recipes are simple and they also cover basics like browning ground beef, scrambling eggs, and it's really good for someone who's cooking skills were previously limited to boiling water.
on March 2, 2013
My friend told me, " girl you know I don't know how to cook". while I was thinking of what I would get her for her birthday and I thought she doesn't know how to cook so i'll get her a cookbook. The first cookbook that popped up was this one, almost exactly quoting what my friend told me. Needless to say she loves it and is planning to cook all these meals. The recipes in this book look very delicious and I love how it has the 3 levels easy, medium, and hard. Must have cookbook for people of all ages.
VINE VOICEon June 22, 2012
I really needed to start with how to boil water and move on to scrambled eggs. The book has categories ie breakfast and starts from easy to medium up to hard dishes. Easy to read and find what you are looking for. This is a great starting point for learning to cook but there are not a lot of receipes that I would enjoy eating. However as I am just startig out in the kitchen there were enough recipes to get me started and help put me in ease in the kitchen.
on April 13, 2015
I bought this for my sister who is challenged in the kitchen, it was kind like a gag gift but the recipes are so easy and very cool! My mom even said she'd line to own one and she's a great cook! I do recommend this book for a beginner in the kitchen or even a seasoned one. It's great!
on March 5, 2015
Not a good cookbook for any level of cooking. Over and over, the recipes I tried turned into disasters, or at least not very good, and sometimes needlessly complicated. I don't really understand where she is going with these recipes, and I honestly question whether they had seriously been kitchen-tested at all. This book would be a huge discouragement to anyone wanting to learn to cook or improve their skills.
on November 22, 2015
I just got this book, and I DO NOT KNOW how to cook, without a doubt. My partner has decided that I need to start pulling my cooking weight around the house, so I snagged this and a couple other cooking books. So far, this one is my favorite. I will report back when I've had more chance to burn water and fill the house with smoke.
on December 30, 2013
If you do not have a clue about cooking anything, this book is for you! Great detailed instructions and recipes. The recipes that we've tried do not require ingredients that takes you five grocery stores to find. My soon to be college graduate son who has never cooked anything except ramen noodles and rice, LOVES this book!
on August 10, 2012
I have had this cookbook for a few years now and wanted to share it with a friend and my daughter. The recipes are simple and almost always delicious. As the title says "You Can't Mess Up". It is good for the most seasoned cook all the way down to the beginner.