Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 199 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 372 reviews
on February 28, 2011
I went through this book from cover to cover and did every exercise along the way. The result was absolutely astonishing to me and my family.

If you're one of those people that can struggle with looking at the world a little differently, especially in terms of art and perception, then this book may initially be both frustrating and enlightening. Once you get the hang of seeing objects differently, you will discover a whole different side of yourself you may not have realized you had.

The book is clear and well-written and nicely layed out to easiy follow along. There are lots of examples and the materials list is very small and very inexpensive. The rewards are astounding.

Plan on taking some time to work through the practice sessions. You'll be all the better artist for having done so.

Me of all people, who knew, even I had a right side to my brain?
on December 26, 2012
THe book is very much like the original Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain..but I needed another copy, because I gave my original book away. I like this book because it taught me how to see differently...I'm still learning, but I drew things I never thought I could draw..and that was within the first day of reading it. It's very true...you have to draw what you see...and not let all the symbols and ideas of what something is "supposed to look like" get in the way. It teaches you how to DRAW WHAT YOU SEE..and reinforces the fact that drawing is a learned skill.
on May 24, 2016
This book came highly recommended by professional artists who had received classical educations but still benefited from her work. I have already sold a painting and several thousand dollars' worth of hand-made jewelry but I haven't had an art class since grade school. So it was strongly urged upon me and thus far I've enjoyed it.
on July 7, 2009
I bought the original version of Betty Edwards book back when it was new. In fact, my copy is autographed by her, as I went to a workshop with her at the time. I used the concepts for teaching drawing to high school students every year after that. Now as a retired art teacher, I recently bought this book for a private art student, an older woman herself! She had no experience drawing prior to my instruction. I had her do an upside-down drawing and she was simply amazed at what she could do and we have gone on from there. She loves drawing now...I thank Betty Edwards for her work.
on July 27, 2012
I was recommended this book to help increase my creativity. I had refused to attempt to draw anything since I was a child feeling that I had no abilities whatsoever. This book helped me to "see" and I have been drawing ever since. More importantly, I now enjoy drawing and this new way of looking at everything has added so much to my general appreciation of the world around me.
on July 19, 2017
I love this book! I'm hoping it will help me as I investigate the well-hidden artist inside me.
on March 10, 2014
For those who were not blessed with a chance to take a formal drawing class this is the book that will teach you how to draw if all you can do is stick figures. Although I have not finished the book yet I have had drastic improvement with each chapter I have finished. It clearly explains why people have problems learning to draw and how to get past them. In the past 3 weeks I have studied this book I have gone from stick figures to being able to reproduce full recognizable animals and manga characters, which was my goal. However it will improve your art no matter what you wish to draw.
on November 1, 2016
Amazing book. Shows how anyone can be an artist, but understanding how the left and the right sides of the brain work.
on April 30, 2002
I have been drawing for a long time (since I was 4). Drawing is a major influence and passion in my life, so I always am looking for new art books, and new perspectives on drawing. I consider this book to be an excellent addition to any artist's (or aspiring artist's) library.
Also, I once attended a class taught by one of Betty Edwards' students. It was such a helpful and inspiring class, and everyone improved dramatically. It was a wonderful class.
Even though I am no longer a drawing "newbie", I found new insights and new ways to observe and see, thanks to this book. It truly can help new artists and "non" artists draw more accurately. It's amazing! Fabulous!
However, this book is not the ultimate book on drawing, and it should never be regarded as such. It cannot possibly answer every question, or provide every insight. It is only a first step. Drawing accurately is just one component to being an artist. (And I hasten to add, I'm REAL big on drawing accurately, I think it is important.) There is a lot of exploration and growth that each artist must undertake in order to fully develop. There will be further study of anatomy, color, line, etc. etc. This book does not pretend to teach everything, and no one should expect it to.
But, don't worry about that right away, if you are a "newbie". Get the book, enjoy it, learn from it, and then look into other books. This book will give you that needed "jump start" and will help you gain a great deal of confidence. You will be most pleased with the progress you will be able to make, thanks to this book.
on February 22, 2006
If you really want to immerse yourself in learning to draw, this is a very good book to begin with. A little too much theory about the brain, etc. that contributes little to learning to draw, but otherwise extremely helpful, instructive and encouraging. The emphasis on learning to become "reasonably passable" in just 5 days is misplaced, in my opinion. It certainly is taking me longer than 5 days - or 5 weeks for that matter, but that should not be the issue anyway. If you can devote at least a couple of hours per day on drawing, this book can be an excellent guide alongside your own dilligence.