Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

The Easter Story
Format: Paperback|Change

on March 21, 2016
We're very particular about our child's spiritual education. This book is excellent to teach preschoolers a straightforward synopsis of the Bible's Easter story and its significance. It's written on a child's level, but doesn't get caught up in cutesy stuff that would detract from the gravity of the story. It even includes scenes not usually covered in children's books, like Palm Sunday, washing the disciples' feet, praying in the garden, and appearing to the disciples after resurrection. I love that it 1. teaches who Jesus is and what he did, 2. pairs nicely with sermons/lessons leading up to and after Easter, 3. doesn't shy away from talk of death, but isn't scary, 4. devotes several pages to the resurrection and new life (that is the point, after all).
I'll be looking for more from this publisher. I'd love suggestions for similar books.
20 helpful votes
21 helpful votes
on August 4, 2016
I wanted an Easter story to read to my 18 month old son that wasn't overly complicated or frightening, and this book fits the bill. It's got very pretty, colorful illustrations and sturdy board book pages, so there is no worry about his ripping or damaging it. The story is simple, as it should be for such a young child, and when discussing the crucifixion you just see three crosses in shadow in the background. It was a great way to introduce the Easter story to my son in words he kind of understands and to at least make him realize there is more to Easter than just egg hunts and the Easter bunny. This has been put away on his book shelf for now, but I'm looking forward to bring it back out around Easter of 2017, when he'll be about 2.5 and able to understand a bit more of the story.
7 helpful votes
8 helpful votes
VINE VOICEon August 13, 2014
I teach second grade at a Lutheran school and I got this book so I could use it as part of my lesson about Easter, but now that my daughter is 3, I plan on reading it with her this upcoming Easter so that I can explain what Easter is really about, not just the Easter bunny, chocolates, and Easter baskets. I love that the author keeps the text short on each page and quickly summarizes the Easter story in a way that is understandable to children and is suitable for their attention spans. It touches on some miracles Jesus did, how he chose his disciples, that some people didn't want to hear about God, the events of Palm Sunday, the Last Supper, Jesus' arrest, and crucifixion. I like that it states Jesus was sent to die, but doesn't get into gory detail that would be frightening to children or graphic. It explains how Jesus rose on the third day and that who believes in Him has eternal life. Understand that it's a quick summary and is more intended for children 3-7 years old, so older children would probably like more detail than what is given here.

The illustrations are beautifully done in what looks like watercolor and have a lot of details in them. I highly recommend this book for parents to explain the real meaning of Easter in a summarized, kid friendly way to young children!
13 helpful votes
14 helpful votes
on July 19, 2016
We gave this to my son for Easter. He was 3 and I wanted to start teaching him the reason for Easter but didn't want to scare him. Read reviews this book didn't seem scary or have blood. It was great and very sweet and my son even loved it. I read it to him still even though Easter is over.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on May 5, 2009
I ordered this book to explain Easter to my 3 year old daughter. I felt that the content was very appropriate to the age. There was nothing graphic here to scare small children. For example, there is a picture of Jesus walking with the cross on his back, but no crucifixion scene.

The story gives a brief synopsis of who Jesus was and what He did as far as miracles and healings so the kids have a point of reference about the character in the story.

The amount of printed words on each page was very apprpriate for the age. My daughter wasn't anxious to get to the next page.

The artwork is beautiful. This book is very lavishly illustrated in full scale artwork, not just line drawings.

I would have liked to see a little more information given for 4+ year olds, but the reader can expound upon the story easily and add information as it is relevant. Overall, I was happy that my daughter developed a strong grasp of who Jesus is and started to recognize Him in other books and relate Him to dying eggs and hunting them.

I would highly recommend this for parents of young children.
47 helpful votes
48 helpful votes
on April 6, 2014
My 2.5 year old daughter loves this book. We bought it so we could read it a lot leading up to Easter and really talk about what Easter really means. Simple language, cute pictures, accurate message. Some concepts are a little complex for a two year old but she stills loves it and will be able to learn more about Jesus from this book as she gets older. Overall, I am glad we were able to find a story that shares the true joy of Easter!
2 helpful votes
3 helpful votes
on March 15, 2017
I have read many Easter books for children over the past several years and this one remains my favorite. It tells the biblical story in a positive way, not denying that some people didn't like Jesus or that Jesus died. The pictures show Jesus carrying the cross--at a little distance--but not on the cross, and there is no mention of the trial and whipping of Jesus. There is a lovely picture of Jesus with children after the resurrection. I have bought many copies of this book for my grandchildren and other young children in my life. And I am buying more!
on May 7, 2017
My seven year old daughter was very happy to receive this from the Easter Bunny this year. She thoughtfully listened to the story and formed a very articulate dinner prayer inspired by this book. I recommend it.
on November 7, 2017
My toddler enjoys this book year round. We started out finding Jesus on each page (and how he wasn't on the tomb page but came back again). Now she tells a story a little bit too. I recommend.
on December 16, 2013
Well written! Short and to the point. My husband read to all the grandchildren at our Easter get together. I would recommend
5 helpful votes