Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

VINE VOICEon April 23, 2007
My wife and I have lost weight every week we have tried this diet. It is very easy to understand and implement. The recipes are fantastic and very filling. We are amazed that we can lose weight and still eat most of the foods we love. We are eating better and feeling better than we have for years. The concept behind this book does not rely on gimmicks or unproven theories. The basic idea is that your body is like a calculator. What is added is calorie intake (weight you gain) what is subtracted is energy burned (weight you lose). The book explains how to easily calculate and eventually balance this equation. After trying a host of diets that were embarrassingly unscientific and unworkable it is nice to find one that is logical and practical.
0Comment| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 11, 2013
I like the book and the recipes. Good solid diet advice, great food, well worth the retail price.

However, if you have a choice, I would strongly recommend the hardback version. Why? Because the pages in the paperback fall out. I've never seen a cookbook so poorly bound. The paper is also very slick, similar to the paper used in National Geographic magazine, only thinner. If food falls on it, it's like a sponge. My copy, (purchased new on Amazon) was published by the Countryman Press in Vermont, and really, they should be embarrassed to put their name on it.

Note: The book just slipped off the table onto the floor and ALL the pages came loose from the binding. I think they forgot the glue. I have never handled the hardback version, but it's got to be better.

I wouldn't recommend the Kindle version either. I don't like Kindle versions of cookbooks in general, but the diet book has forms to fill out to help dieters track their progress, find inspiration and motivation. It's a cookbook, yes, but also a workbook.
on October 8, 2007
The first 97 pages of this book are devoted to outlining the Eating Well diet and lifestyle plan. Following that is 150 recipes divided into sections such as breakfast, salads, soups, poultry, snacks, etc.

In addition to the nutritional information that one would expect to find, each recipe has an icon at the bottom that indicates if the dish is low carb, low cal, or high in fiber. I've made 9 of the recipes in this book so far and each one of them has surpassed my expectations! In fact, the Chicken with creamy chive sauce has become a regular feature on our weekly menu.

Bottom line: the recipes are well written, easy to follow, contain common ingredients, and result in food that tastes good and is good for you.
on July 4, 2017
A very helpful guide for someone who wants to loose weight or simply live a healthier lifestyle and does not know where to start. It covers all important aspects of combining a healthy diet, lifestyle and exercise. The 28 day menu plan and recipes are excellent too! Delicious, quick and easy to prepare.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 22, 2009
I cannot say enough good things about this book. I initially bought it for the recipes included but was very happy when I started reading it. The authors offer honest, straight-forward advice for safe and sustainable weight loss. The book doesn't promise you you'll lose 10 lbs in a week or 5 inches off your waist with no effort, but rather helps you set realistic, long and short-term goals.

The biggest piece of advice the book has to offer is to track your food and acivity in a diary. It really helped my hold myself accountable for my actions (or lack thereof). There are no "forbidden foods" or odd diet restrictions. This way of dieting just helps point you in the right direction.

This is the first type of diet I've tried where I truly think I can reach my goals and be very proud of myself along the way. I followed the book faithfully for 4 weeks and have managed to lose 12 lbs. I feel as though I've done it the right way and I'm very happy with how things are going.
on November 7, 2009
The content of this book is excellent. The first few chapters take you through a healthy eating/exercise plan and the supporting reasons why your decisions are important. The last few chapters include an eating plan and many yummy recipes (ones that don't make you feel like you're missing out!). My only concern (and the reason for a 4 rating vs. a 5) with the book is the quality. The very thick glossy pages are not supported by the binding. As I began to read the book and pages started falling out. The binding meant to hold the pages in place is like a gummy notebook pad created to easily tear pages out. I had to punch holes in the pages and put them in a binder. Each page turn lead to another loose sheet :0(.
on August 28, 2007
I am a personal trainer and bought this book as a tool to use not only for myself but with my clients as well. I will suggest to all my clients to purchase this book. I never suggest trying any fad diets but to lose weight through lifestyle changes and this book gives you all the tools to do so. It is easy to read and understand. The tips it gives you are simple and can easily be used to start improving your life and to lose weight. The recipes are great as well and I love that they factor in the calories for you as well as nutritional information. Whether you are just getting started with a weight loss program or just need some new recipes and ideas I highly recommend purchasing this book. In addition I must also say that not only is the information great but the layout and quality of the book itself is wonderful.
VINE VOICEon September 1, 2008
About half of this book discusses reasons for weight gain (both physical and psychological) and suggests exercises for working through your own thinking on the subject. The other half is the diet plan, itself, which includes meal plans (suggested, not required) along with some really good recipes. Many of the recipes are more like quick "stir together" ideas, great if you're pressed for time or just not into cooking at times. The one thing that doesn't work well for me is that the meal plans and many of the recipes result in unwieldy leftovers when trying to adapt them for one person (not so much the quantity of leftovers, but the need to use just a small amount of an ingredient that won't keep well until the rest is used up). I'm not downgrading the book for this, because it certainly doesn't claim to be a "diet for one," and the practical, useful information far outweighs this small issue.
on March 21, 2013
I liked this book, reading it, the smell of the pages, the ideas, etc. I struggled with food addiction and sugar sensitivity for so long that not even this book could solve it. I ended up having surgery to push myself onto the right track. This book is a good tool to add to the strategy. I made some of the recipes in it, and they were good. If you like to refresh positive and healthy thinking, this book will help you with that.
on May 6, 2014
Item delivered on time, was as described, great customer service. I would Definitely buy again and I would recommend to my friends
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse