Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > The Economist forum

The Economist on the Kindle?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 162 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2007, 9:00:02 AM PST
K. Keeney says:
My husband is an Economist magazine junkie. He waits by the mail box once a week in anticipation for his fresh Economist. I would totally buy the kindle for him for the sole purpose of decluttering my home of old Economists and giving him early delivery. Does anyone have any idea if the Economist will ever be available on the Kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2007, 9:30:52 AM PST
Howdy says:
I'm hoping that it will be, as well, but, I've not heard that it will be.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2008, 8:03:58 PM PST
jfoster says:
I'd also like to see The Economist available on the Kindle. I don't know if I'd buy the product, but it would make it more compelling.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2008, 7:16:02 AM PDT
Paul Forbes says:
Yes, I would LOVE for the Economist to be available on the Kindle!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2008, 8:32:46 AM PDT
B. Day says:
Me, too. I'd buy The Economist subscription in a second.

It would almost completely get me off of paper-based news if The Economist was an option.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2008, 11:08:45 AM PDT
B. Borgeson says:
Agreed wholeheartedly. I just caved in and bought a kindle anyway, but I would have bought one months ago if they'd had the economist available, and I'll be a much bigger fan if they bring it out SOON!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2008, 9:36:42 PM PDT
Dean says:
The Economist is my main source of news. Put it on the Kindle and I guarantee I'd buy one! So would my wife.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2008, 7:59:45 AM PDT
R. Voege says:
The Kindle definitely needs to get the Economist available. Any news?

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2008, 11:01:15 AM PDT
David Pitkin says:
I wanted to vote for the Economist on the Kindle... I was thinking about trying to screenscrape my subscriber account on the website and email the html to my kindle. Has anyone tried a similar project?

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2008, 4:27:22 PM PDT
Subscribers to the Economist can now download it in audio form - no pictures though.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2008, 1:44:06 AM PDT
P. Kantor says:
Anyone still interested in having the economist on the kindle has to try this out. Download Mobipocket Reader 6.0 (not 6.1, for some reason in that version the kindle isn't recognized), go to the enews store in the software, and you can select the economist full print edition. You can set it up to download the full stories and sync to your kindle automatically, for free! The version you get on the kindle isn't nearly as neat as the magazine and newspaper editions you can pay for through amazon, but it is fully there and decently functional. There is a list of all the articles at the beginning that link to the full article. The biggest bummer is that they aren't categorized, so you have to do a bit of guesswork. For me though, this beats going to the website or buying an issue while I'm traveling that I know I is already waiting at home...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2008, 9:55:53 AM PDT
B. Day says:
It still works with Mobipocket 6.2 but you have to jump through an extra hoop after you sync to the Kindle.

1. Open Mobipocket 6.2
2. Under Bookshelf, click eNews
3. Select The Economist, right-click --> Update & Sync
4. Drag the Economist item from the upper half of the window onto the Kindle icon in the left bar under Devices
5. Under Devices, click "Kindle"
6. Select The Economist, right-click --> Open Containing Folder
7. You should now see a Windows Explorer window for F:\eBooks (aka. where Mobipocket puts the .prc file on your Kindle). Inside of this folder, you should see a file with a name like "The_Economist_Full_print_edition_C2FFBAAD.prc"
8. Drag "The_Economist_Full_print_edition_C2FFBAAD.prc" from the current folder into f:\documents
9. disconnect the kindle

You should now see The Economist on your kindle's main page.

This is a pain, Amazon & Economist. Why not just make it easy for us and sell us a proper subscription? I'd much much prefer buying it from you (aka. GIVING YOU ACTUAL MONEY) than doing it this way.

-Ben

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2008, 9:52:10 AM PDT
I will buy the Kindle as soon as the Economist is available on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2008, 12:11:30 PM PDT
As a print subscriber to the Economist I would buy a Kindle in a heartbeat when a subscription becomes available.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2008, 8:53:09 PM PDT
Chris Jones says:
I was just researching the kindle for the first time, and one of the first things I looked for was The Economist. I was disappointed to find it wasn't available. Before I pay $350 for a device, it needs to have the things I read most often. The Economist is at the top of that list.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2008, 11:55:24 AM PDT
jeff russell says:
Agreed, until The Economist is available, and I might add at a reasonable price, I'm reluctant to pick one up. Same goes for lack of open source material. Amazon champions MP3 so thier music is open while at the same time going proprietary on ebooks, when only just today we saw Yahoo music close up shop and take all the keys to their music with them. When I buy an ebook, I'm not leasing it. Otherwise I'll just keep buying real books till this ownership issue is resolved. Pretty simple.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2008, 9:40:05 AM PDT
I will buy the Kindle as soon as it were been sold in Brazil.
Otamar de Carvalho

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2008, 4:25:51 PM PDT
rebmilc says:
I will buy Kindle when the Economist and Financial Times become available. Until then no dice. Get on it Amazon/Economist! Make it happen.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2008, 1:46:09 AM PDT
Just to add weight to this Campaign for the Economist via Kindle, here is my monica. If anyone from the Economist Newspaper Group is reading, we want the pleasure of your news and commentary, but not the paper. Sounds like a good deal and from paying customers too.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2008, 1:49:42 PM PDT
M. Rosenberg says:
Add me to the people wanting The Economist on my Kindle. Its the only news magazine I read, and I would definitely subscribe.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2008, 1:28:35 AM PDT
Can't wait for the Economist is available on the Kindle. Had a year's subscription to the Economist and loved it, except for the slow delivery to Oregon, the house full of magazines, and the ink getting all over my hands. I would get a subscription again if it would download onto my kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2008, 1:30:50 AM PDT
Do you like the Kindle? Does it work for other magazines/newspapers?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2008, 7:06:52 AM PDT
Thanks for the advice. Count my vote as another person that would subscribe to The Economist on my Kindle. This magazine is so dense I feel terrible when I can't get through an issue in a week and it either piles up or I throw it away. With the Kindle, this is solved.

Please!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2008, 7:06:54 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 18, 2008, 7:07:11 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2008, 3:56:51 PM PDT
dwrh says:
Yes, two buyers in my household as soon as the Economist is posted.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Economist forum
Participants:  147
Total posts:  162
Initial post:  Nov 26, 2007
Latest post:  Aug 15, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

This discussion is about