Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 12 reviews
on December 28, 2007
This is not an indepth book, but a good overview of how to grow, how to prepare and special notes on different herbs as well as arrangement of them in a garden that is beautiful as well as functional. The use of focal points truly makes it a decorative showpiece that many wouldn't think is feeding you! Once getting through the arranging and how to grow sections there's 'recipes' for herbal blends, dried herbs, herbal vinegars, herb butter, herbed cream, liquors as well as recipes for the table - some simple some easily elegant for those who grow their own food at home. While it's fair to note this is an overview - the photos are inspiring and the information concise. It's sufficient to order and get moving on doing an herb garden. The photos bely the many hours and effort to grow beautiful garden areas but the author writes from having *done* this and shows photos from her own garden areas. An explosion of color for the eye as well as treats in the home. Take note and don't skim on things like "I included the showy but decidedly not edible, tall graceful foxgloves and blue star creeper in between the boards" (from a caption of one of the photos). Very nice book - I've bought two in this series and will continue to add others if they deliver as this does.
on May 27, 2009
I'm a master gardener, and I volunteer for the Speakers' Bureau of my local Master Gardeners' Association. Lately we've been getting more requests for talks on edible gardening. Herb gardening is a logical first step in that direction, because herbs are the least demanding of the edible crops and because most herbs are attractive enough to integrate into an existing ornamental garden.

In researching a recent talk on herb gardening, I came across Creasy's book at the library. It's engagingly written and quite complete. It includes clear, step-by-step instructions for planning and installing an herb garden; an encyclopedia of herbs with a photo and cultural information for each one; a collection of delicious recipes, from simple to sophisticated; and lists of additional resources.

I ended up taking the book with me to my talk and recommending it to the audience. I also bought a gift copy for one of my daughters to use in planning her new patio garden. And as I write this, I'm thinking I really must buy another copy for myself!
on January 29, 2015
Like Ms. Creasy's other books, this one is terrific. I'm a herb docent for a botanical garden, and I can vouch for the great information and beautiful photos here. Herbs can add so much to our food, in terms of healthfulness and appearance.
on January 7, 2010
I didn't know much about growing herbs before purchasing this book, but I wanted to learn to use more herbs in my cooking. I use this book primarily as a reference when I have a question about when to plant, when to prune, etc. I haven't tried any recipes and I can only hope that one day I'll plant some of the beautiful herb gardens pictured in this colorful book.
on June 14, 2015
This book gives clear instructions for growing edible herbs that add a wide variety of tastes to our food. It is much more inviting than a diet plan.
on June 11, 2014
A complete volume of edible herbs any gardener would enjoy having. This book will make a great gift or addition to any level gardener.

Rosalind Creasy is great at writing and her photography is delightful.
HALL OF FAMEon September 20, 2004
There are many books available to spend time on all the varying uses for herbs (gardens, medicine, etc.) and nothing wrong with that. But for those of us who are into herbs for the sole purpose of the culinary zest they so wonderfully provide, this is significant resource in a small, well done fashion.

Color photos, herb by herb info, as well as recipes and aids with sources, insect and disease problems, this is valuable aid to us herb growers for the table.

From planning to preparing to planting to cultivating to problem cures to harvesting to recipe utilization, this is solid 105 pages of herb wisdom.
on December 26, 2012
Full of beautiful photographs, yet another inspiring take on gardening by Rosalind Creasy. Includes casual profiles on many common and lesser known herbs and some great recipe ideas.
on July 19, 2014
Beautiful and Inspiring plus helpful ideas.
on November 22, 2015
Once you read Edible Herb / Flower Garden books, either pretty much subs in for the other...