Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 769 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 860 reviews
on January 9, 2014
People will disagree, but I honestly believe that up to the present day (2014), this is the best game I've ever played. Let me support this by saying I've played A LOT of video games. My first video game system was an Intellivision, and my dad bought it when it was new.
Anyway, this game has SO MUCH stuff to do. I played it almost every day for a year and there are still occasionally things I'll find that I've never seen before. It has almost infinite replayability.
I think the best thing about Skyrim is that the kind of character you play is really only limited by your imagination.
The combat, attributes, and skills system has been streamlined from previous Elder Scrolls games. Fans of the series weren't happy about this, especially as it was done to attract more mainstream players. Diehard fans of the series feel that this represents a "dumbing down" of the game, and there's some truth to that, but it definitely optimizes the experience to keep things moving, and that's always a good thing.
So the gameplay is fantastic. Visuals and sound are breathtaking. The world looks alive, from the way wind blows through the trees, to the way a brook babbles along. The character models are also very good. There's an enormous degree of character customization in looks and abilities.
This version has the DLC included, and you really want that because the DLC for this game is outstanding. Tons of extra features and lots more geography to explore. Fully-developed stories and hundreds of extra quests. The base game was already huge, but when you add the DLC, it becomes enormous.
Anyway, I could go on and on, but it all comes down to this: if you play video games, you owe it to yourself to play this game.
on September 27, 2013
Okay, I admit that I am a little late to the Elder Scrolls and Skyrim party. I finally got my XBox360 last spring, and I started with Kingdoms of Amalur and Dragon Age Origins, because I have always liked medieval RPG style games. I suspected that Skyrim was probably going to be the best one for me, because of all the 5-star reviews, and also because in addition to RPG's, I also just like Vikings, dragons, Nordic lore, etc. in general.

Wow, Skyrim is everything I wanted and more. It actually exceeded my high expectations and re-set what I thought a videogame could do. I had read the 5-star reviews but was not sure it could live up to the hype. It did.

The graphics are great, and you can get lost for days in a beautiful Nordic mountain world. The first dragon I fought was the single coolest battle I've ever had on a video game. I got chills it was so cool. The character leveling is both complex and intuitive, you really do level up exactly those talents you use the most. I'm also enjoying the alchemy, smithing, and enchanting activities. I love walking new tracts of wilderness I've never seen before, looking for plants to harvest for alchemy potions, while hunting beasts and discovering new caves/dungeons/lore along the way. The archery is really enjoyable too. You can stalk prey such as cave bears or giants with stealth and arrows. I find that I'm gravitating toward an archery/stealth/mage build, with emphasis on destruction and conjuration spells. There are a thousand different ways you could take a character, though. I'm level 20 and in love with this game.

If you are wondering whether you should play Oblivion (or any other game for that matter) first, don't worry about it. Get this version and jump right into Skyrim. This is the best. You install Disc 2 on your Xbox360 first, then use Disc 1 when you play the game. It comes preloaded with Dawnguard and all of the other Skyrim expansions already set for your game, so your first playthrough will enclude the entire gamut of Skyrim locations, spells, monsters, lore, etc. Don't even bother with other versions, this one is the whole enchilada.

As much as I loved the combat and graphics of Amalur and the characters and plot of Dragon Age Origins, I am loving the entirety of Skyrim so much more. I love every hour spent on this game, and I find myself thinking about it when not playing. Get this one, it is the best.
on January 19, 2014
Don't know why I waited so long to play this and maybe I should wait to give my review until I am further into the game but so far I am not disappointed. While I have to agree with the fact that they simplified the game especially if you compare it to Morrowind, there are times I become a little too comfortable in the midst of a battle and get my behind handed to me. Plus you have the choice to change the difficulty at any time. I like to think each game has it's own personality. Skyrim seems a bit of a mix of Morrowind and Oblivion with updated and improved graphics and game engine. I can't really compare it further back than Morrowind because I did not play Daggerfall or other previous games. Morrowind definitely has a steeper learning curve and it does not seem to have the hand holding which I think there is to some extend in Skyrim. I appreciate each game though for its differences and that's why I still love this game. I also love that they incorporated a lot of the music from Morrowind and I think it suits the atmosphere perfectly. Well, I am off to my own little world in Skyrim and will post an update when I get through more of the game but that could be a while as I usually play several other games around the same time...... :)

UPDATE-5/11/14: Just got en email that someone thought my review was helpful. After a quick read-through I noticed I made an error when talking about the simplification of the game which has nothing to do with the difficulty slider. Some people think the games ten or so years ago made you "think" more in terms of what you had to do to solve quests. Now it seems to be a bit more automatic with journal notes, map markers, or markers sometimes placed directly by a person, place, or thing. I have not played that many of the older games but in Morrowind you did have to dig around in your journal a bit more and finding your way around was not so easy. Maybe the people who compare the games are just looking for nostalgia but games have evolved and I still enjoyed Skyrim just as much as Morrowind. There are many hours of my life in that game and I have not even played the DLC's yet. But my game list is huge so I will return to play those shortly. So yes it is a bit more simplified but not game- breaking and none-the-less still very enjoyable! Go for it! Be a Dragonborn! I dare you! :)
on September 2, 2016
Where to begin? This game is truly incredible. You're immersed in a world of mythology, mysticism, and wonder. One day you can be spelunking in a massive, Dwarven cavern while slaying spiders and the next day you're fighting a dragon at the top of a snow-capped mountain peak. All the while using the ancient power trapped from the souls of the dragons you have killed, as you are Dovahkiin: Dragonborn. From the moment you begin this game, you will become embroiled in a massive story-arc that truly encapsulates even the minutia of life. Adopting children (thanks to Hearthfire), buying cabbage, fighting beasts, chopping wood, mining, hunting, mountain climbing, you can do it all, basically. Not only is this amazing game fantastic as it is, this set comes with the three DLC expansions. Please, immerse yourself in this game. There are so many things to do and places to go, it is amazing. The story and characters are so engrossing that you'll find yourself in a conniption when making decisions as to who survives and must die. Although, thankfully, it isn't always down to that. If you enjoy an RPG, you need to play this game. You need to DLC. It is something amazing. I find myself in wonderment all over again as I go trough and find new things. Even as I re-experience the old, I am still enthralled by this game.
on May 12, 2017
This was my first Elder Scrolls game and it was one of the most incredible games I have ever played.

You start off by making your character (Mine is a blue lizard man with purple feathers on top of his head), playing a short tutorial, and then doing whatever you want, really. There is a main storyline to play through, but the game doesn't force you to do it. You can actually ignore it entirely, because this game encourages you to play however you want.

Skyrim has more of an emphasis on role-playing than most RPGs that I've played. It's not really about improving your stats or finding better equipment - rather, Skyrim all about becoming a member of this massive open world. It's about the people you meet, the sights you see, and the choices you make. In a sense, Skyrim has more in common with Animal Crossing than it does with Final Fantasy.

This is a fantastic game and I definitely recommend it for anyone who likes RPGs or open world games. Don't miss out on this amazing game.
on May 11, 2017
Awesome base game: Check
All previously released DLC: Check

Skyrim improves on its predecessor in nearly every category and looks amazing on a console that was released with about 1/8th the ram that most phones have nowadays. This is a game that is perhaps one of the biggest bang for your buck in terms of raw replayability and time that you can invest in it. Plus on the 360 its considerably old and because of that you can pick it up for dirt cheap to make it even more of a valuable buy.
on April 6, 2016
Bethesda may develop two action role-playing franchises, but five years on, and following the release of Fallout 4 nearly four years after the release of this game, Skyrim is still the best game out there. It may not be the best looking anymore, but it's certainly a contender. This is actually my third purchase of this game. I bought it first on PC, and then the base game on Xbox 360. Buying this Legendary Edition was cheaper than buying the DLC on the Xbox. I've since given away both Xbox copies as I play it on PC. Also, I do not own a Kinect sensor, so I saved my neighbors the embarrassment of hearing me shout FUS RO DAH! at my TV every time I wanted to make my character do the force push shout. That is literally all the Kinect does for you, since the game does have that purple band on the case saying it's better with Kinect. (It isn't. Save your dignity.)

As for the game. You probably know it's about killing dragons. But like any Bethesda game, you don't have to do the main story. You can get lost in their expansive world and find your own way, make your own story. Would you rather be an apprentice of magic, or a prince of thieves? Both completely doable. Or would you like to help vampires or werewolves fight the other? It's all there for you to do.

Arguably the best game of the decade, and now it's at a great price.
on February 11, 2014
There are no words to describe the inherent entertainment found in this game. You can literally play for months on end, 10 hours a day, and never completely uncover everything, or accomplish every mission. Many "quests" are very similar, ranging from "go kill this dude" to "go get this thingie and bring it back to me", but some are quite nuanced and clever.

The overall story arc is similar to Bethesda Softworks' other big name RPG, Fallout 3, in that there are choices that you make that can affect the game's narrative and, eventually, the ending. That said, it's not as good as Fallout when it comes to delivering a deep, compelling story.

BUT....

If you buy this, prepare to lose all track of time, be up until 3AM every night although you promise yourself 1AM is the limit, and you'll likely end up ignoring your wife and kids. This I can promise you. You have been warned.
on June 5, 2016
Best video game investment ever made. Have been playing for several months and I think I spent $11 on this game. My only complaint is that when I play too long, in the darkened caves/mines/mazes, I get really nauseaus! I've never had that happen before so it may be due to my own aging and the way my body is changing, rather than the game itself. Not sure. But I love the open world play of this game. Visually it's just breathtaking!! I can't even begin to describe how realistic the world looks, but fortunately other people have already done that so you can read their descriptions as well. I thought this was some type of slasher or war game so I avoided it for years, but it's truly amazing. Like I said, I've played for several months off and on and I'm nowhere near being "finished" - I'm not sure if one can actually ever finish this game.
on July 12, 2017
I played this game to death and I still love it. It is my favorite game to date for so many reasons, great rpg, grafics that still hold up to today's open world games, and so many fantasy quests that aren't even the main storyline. I bought the add-on segments after playing it through twice and it gave the game even more life. The building wasn't my favorite but I loved going through some new elements with the vampires. Solstheim was a whole new game inside a game. Worth it.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.